Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best website for property (to buy)

Options
  • 05-12-2016 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

We're starting to look around with a view to purchasing in the next 6-24months.
    Time was Daft was for lettings and MyHome for sales. Does this still apply?

Is there a preferred website or are they all the one now? Is there any other website we should be checking??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

id say, whats around now wont be around in 24 months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Those still apply, but check Daft.ie for sales also - I've noticed some appear on one, and not on the other.

It's worthwhile registering with estate agents in the area you're looking at to be send emails for viewings / new properties on sale etc...

Best of luck!
    It's mental out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

listermint wrote: »
    id say, whats around now wont be around in 24 months :D
    Well we're not in a rush, and eager not to get burnt. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Keep an eye on both. There's not much difference between them in terms of stock. Worth keeping an eye on the areas you're looking to buy in for a few months before actively getting approval imo. The more you know about the market you're looking at, the better your judgement of whether a particular property represents value for money or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Both of these websites allow you to create email alerts, which means you can get automatic emails when a property comes up within your location and budget

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Keep an eye on both. There's not much difference between them in terms of stock. Worth keeping an eye on the areas you're looking to buy in for a few months before actively getting approval imo. The more you know about the market you're looking at, the better your judgement of whether a particular property represents value for money or not.
    Ahh we've been renting for about 6 years now and keeping a passive eye. In the past few months, more actively watching. It'll probably be another 12 months before we are in a good shape to go, but we'll have the option in a few more months. I just want to be as prepared as I can be.

I did the exact same, was watching areas I was interested in for about 2 years before we bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't think I would be looking at any property sites until I am ready to start bidding. I would find it very disheartening and you can always keep on eye on property prices in the reports that are issued by Daft/estate agents regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I disagree.
    It was great to build up a knowledge of houses, types, conditions and then seeing the asking prices.
    You can factor in price increase etc... from there, but I found it invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

What i did was to keep an eye on prices of property before i was ready to buy that were advertised that I would potentially be interested and make a note of the asking price in an excel file and then check back against the property price registar periodically to see what it went for and update the file. If you do this for a few places you might see if a pattern emerges for how much more prices go for compared to asking prices or if they go for lower.

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    I don't think I would be looking at any property sites until I am ready to start bidding. I would find it very disheartening...
    I'd be incliuned to try an take as much emotion out of this process as possible. I already have a 2 bed from 2007!
    whiskeyman wrote: »
    I disagree.
    It was great to build up a knowledge of houses, types, conditions and then seeing the asking prices.
    You can factor in price increase etc... from there, but I found it invaluable.
    This is my thinking. Lessons learned and all that.

Lux23 wrote: »
    I don't think I would be looking at any property sites until I am ready to start bidding. I would find it very disheartening and you can always keep on eye on property prices in the reports that are issued by Daft/estate agents regularly.
    Regular viewing of the property sites before you're ready to bid will help you develop an appreciation for the premium for higher BER rated properties or that for a turn-key property over a fixer-upper in your desired area, an awareness that perhaps Street A isn't quite as nice a place to live as Street B (demonstrable by a regular 10/20k premium for Street B etc.).

The property reports will give you a general feel for whether prices are rising / falling nationwide, or at best, within a broad geographic area. Keeping your finger on the pulse lets you narrow your understanding of the market down to the areas which you're actually interested in buying in.

Advertisement