Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carantouhill in December ?

Options
  • 05-12-2016 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi guys wondering off anyone with a bit of knowledge on this mountain could tell me if it is possible to climb this mountain in December ? Limited expiernce climbed Croagh Patrick a dozen or so times and benbulben once but that would be it. Brother home from oz this Christmas and myself and 2 others hoping to do it with him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Peter Walker

Entirely conditions dependent.

The ascents of Croagh Patrick tell me you're certainly physically capable, and on a mild day in December you'd almost certainly be fine.

If it's properly wintry (snowing or snow lying or below freezing at any level) I'd give it a miss...different kettle of fish entirely.

Could do it now, was covered in snow a few weeks back but that has largely disappeared. Keep an eye on the mountain forecast weather website, it's about the best for factoring in altitude and when snow will arrive. The rest, yr.no, accuweather etc. just seem to give generic sea level forecasts. 1,000 metres completely changes conditions at this time of year, rain and cold can mean a complete whiteout up there and that can be scary if you don't know the area and the routes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

With limited hill/mountain experience it's a hard enough a climb at the best of times. This time of the year? It's not impossible but it is a really a big ask, especially if the weather turns on you all or if you are poorly equipped. Perhaps you can take on an easier climb; where are you all based for the Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The rest, yr.no, accuweather etc. just seem to give generic sea level forecasts. 1,000 metres completely changes conditions at this time of year, rain and cold can mean a complete whiteout up there and that can be scary if you don't know the area and the routes off.
    yr.no certainly factors in altitude regarding temperatures, wind speed and precipitation ... in my experience here in Wicklow at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭fits

If you do go, I'd recommend setting off before first light. The days are short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

If you don't know the mountain, then I'd give serious consideration to utilising the services of these guys.

http://www.kerryclimbing.ie/guided-carrauntoohil-ascents/

I haven't used them myself but am planning on during the summer.

I've done Carrauntoohil a few times, and want to try the full reeks walk. We attempted it last year with one of the lads from our own club guiding, but had to stop at Carrauntoohil, as the weather was NOT cooperating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Glonass

Whats the current condition now? Snow? Is beenkeragh ridge dangerous to cross without climbing equipments? Thinking about coomloughra horseshoe... thanks

No snow at all. Might be in the north facing gullies, can't see them from the South Kerry side. No need for anything on Beenkeragh Ridge except boots, warm clothes at this time of year, and a reasonable head for heights, there is a trail all the way across though it kinda disappears amongst the boulders near the summit of Beenkeragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No need for anything on Beenkeragh Ridge except boots, warm clothes at this time of year, and a reasonable head for heights

I've seen some videos of the ridge, but I'm still trying to get my head around it. Would love to do the horseshoe, but don't have a reasonable head for heights at all. Now saying that, I have done a day of climbing / abseiling 20 years ago. I don't like the exposure at all, I'm terrified. But that was secured. Now I don't freeze up, I can force myself on. Probably depending on how long it would take. Is the whole ridge exposed or are there just a few bad sections that are particularly airy?

If someone could post a clip of bad bits (that you can't avoid) that would be really welcome!

And I know I can do the horse shoe anti-clockwise and just go back to Carrauntoohil if I can't handle the ridge :p

I haven't been to the reeks, but I've done a good bit of hiking in Wicklow (no exposure)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm the same, no head for heights at all, and I've been known to freeze on some quite unexceptional scrambles. I don't want to put myself in a situation of my own making where I'd need to be rescued, I have too much respect for the people who'd end up coming to help me to do that.

• Advertisement

Haven't been to Beenkeragh side. Hoping to do the loop Clockwise as i want the steep Beenkeragh climbed first. Watched a few videos on youtube but they all done during sunny summer months. Id say its totally different thing when its covered in snow&ice.hoping to head over there in a few weeks time .really need more detailed info on the ridge between beenkeragh and carrauntoohil.

unkel wrote: »
    I've seen some videos of the ridge, but I'm still trying to get my head around it. Would love to do the horseshoe, but don't have a reasonable head for heights at all. Now saying that, I have done a day of climbing / abseiling 20 years ago. I don't like the exposure at all, I'm terrified. But that was secured. Now I don't freeze up, I can force myself on. Probably depending on how long it would take. Is the whole ridge exposed or are there just a few bad sections that are particularly airy?

Hard to "rate" it. It's not as airy as the Big Gun Ridge in the Eastern Reeks (though that has a path lower down) and the Faha Ridge on Mount Brandon, where the drop on both sides is dramatic in places. The drop on the Coomloughera side is more gradual. Carrauntoohil to the top of O'Shea's Gully is grand, it's from there on to Beenkeragh and especially around the Bones that is most exposed. If you Google image "Beenkeragh Ridge" the first 3 or 4 images might give you some idea as they show the Bones.

Thank you again Conor ! Im not a scrambler so a bit worried it might be dangerous in windy and icy condition. Im physically fit enough to do the loop but i dont underestimate nature. Looking at the photos its a lot of scrambling with bare hands one wrong step could send me down to the valley. I will do more google research now.cheers

Big difference between this:

Beenkeragh-Ridge-and-Carrauntoohil.jpg

I'd be confident I'd be ok with that.

This not so much:

100_1320.JPG

Glonass wrote: »
    Looking at the photos its a lot of scrambling with bare hands one wrong step could send me down to the valley. I will do more google research now.cheers

Tbh, you don't really have to use your hands, bar a couple of places, and maybe going over the boulders at the Beenkeragh end. None of it is technical, it's still a walk. And while it's true that one wrong step could send you down...you can stay away from the spots that are one step from oblivion. You don't have to go over the absolute edge of the ridge along the entire length. I don't think it's as dangerous as you may perceive, except in high winds...when almost everywhere up there is dangerous.

while it's true that one wrong step could send you down...you can stay away from the spots that are one step from oblivion.

And there is exactly the difference in what I'd be ok with :)

So why doesn't everyone take this route that is never one step away from oblivion? Wouldn't that be the obvious route to take from a safety point of view?

unkel wrote: »
    And there is exactly the difference in what I'd be ok with :)

So why doesn't everyone take this route that is never one step away from oblivion? Wouldn't that be the obvious route to take from a safety point of view?

There are no routes down between O'Shea's Gully and Beenkeragh itself, you have to press on or turn around. But there is no need to walk on the very edge of the ridge for the entire length...though that's the best for the adrenaline kick! I don't think there have been too many fatalities or incidents on it, most will naturally do it cautiously. The only thing you really need is a head for heights...and boots and sensible clothes.

Advertisement