Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another 'advice needed' thread

• 05-12-2016 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi, long time lurker here.

Currently driving a 08 1.4 petrol focus 98km on clock, only drive about 12-15k per annum and looking to trade up sometime between now and the end of February. The focus has been great, doesn't owe me anything, NCT until April 2018, recently given trade-in valuation of €5750 against a nearly new Qashqai but got cold feet on the PCP.

I am looking at the following models:
    Alfa Giuletta
    Qashqai
    Seat Leon
    Focus
    Golf

Budget would be in an around €15000, includes trade in of current (I don't ecpect to get 5750). Prefer convenience of hatchback and I don't know what it is but I just can't warm to the Kia or Hyundai models. No particular brand allegiance, have owned Fiat, Citroen, Honda, Mazda & Nissan

Open to any advice or opinions.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mythical123

Why those 5 in particular ? I.e. anything more for us to go on than "what's the best hatchback"?

on price I'd be looking at the Leon and the Focus, the Leon looks a bit more special.

What about the Seat Areca vs the Qashqai ?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruamar

The reason is that I have been keeping an eye on carsireland for a while and they were the best examples of the models returned in my search. Petrol, dealer priced up to €20k (filter limited to either 15 or 20), mileage not too high. As I said, I am generally not stuck on one make. I will have a look out for the Areca

Thanks again

Sorry Mythical, the Seat Ateca is new and out of my budget, I don't want to go PCP on this car, maybe the next in 3-4 years.

For now, the budget is in and around €15000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

I'd say, get the Alfa. Then again though, I'm biased, having owned a few..
    Don't believe the haters that will put them down.
    You get a lot of car for your money, and they are the same as any other brand. Look after them, and they'll look after you..

They are a beautiful car, how are they to drive? Also, as I won't be buying until February (unless something comes up) I don't think I'd go for white!!

• Advertisement

ruamar wrote: »
    They are a beautiful car, how are they to drive? Also, as I won't be buying until February (unless something comes up) I don't think I'd go for white!!

Well planted, and fun to drive. But also a great touring motor, if you need to relax. I've got a GT, and it has the best seats ever in any car I've ever owned.

If you're around Carlow, let me know and You can have a spin in mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

^^^^This man has one of the nicest GT's in Ireland too. Its the most fantastic colour. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Off topic but I'd love an Alfa. The aul lad had a 155, was lovely other than the electrics. Seriously tempted by the 159 but am a bit worried about reliability since they are so cheap and have that tag.

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Off topic but I'd love an Alfa. The aul lad had a 155, was lovely other than the electrics. Seriously tempted by the 159 but am a bit worried about reliability since they are so cheap and have that tag.

Buy the right Alfa and look after it and it will look after you. The problem is many people didn't look after them which resulted in breakdown rates being higher than they should be.

159's are a lovely car but not without their share of issues. Petrol or diesel.

I have a few myself, feel free to send me a PM and I'll advise as best I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

166man wrote: »
    Buy the right Alfa and look after it and it will look after you. The problem is many people didn't look after them which resulted in breakdown rates being higher than they should be.

159's are a lovely car but not without their share of issues. Petrol or diesel.

I have a few myself, feel free to send me a PM and I'll advise as best I can.
    Says I can't send you a pm as your full!

Hope you don't mind casting your eye over the below? I have my doubts as the seller looks a bit ropey?

The price has dropped 2k over the last 6 months and part of the grill/badge is damaged. Either way I would get an independent mechanic to have a look just not sure who would have experience with Alfa's.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-159-2-2-jts-sportivo-/12644612

• Advertisement

Hope you don't mind casting your eye over the below? I have my doubts as the seller looks a bit ropey?

The price has dropped 2k over the last 6 months and part of the grill/badge is damaged. Either way I would get an independent mechanic to have a look just not sure who would have experience with Alfa's.

He's a dealer. Doesn't know what he's got. He'll have given peanuts on that when it was traded in, and now he just wants shot of it.
    The higher tax will be putting a lot of people off it as well.
    Go and drive it, you'll not be sorry. Just remember to keep the revs up. Alfa's love to be driven hard :D

Sorry about that, only realised that just there! I'll have to clear it out...

Regarding the attached 159, few things you would want to check out

- Was the timing chain changed? These unfortunately have a habit of going due to the recommended oil change intervals being too long (18,000 miles), as well as there being a design flaw.

- How is the steering in it? From what I know the earlier 159's had the wrong steering fluid from factory which lead to early failures.

Apart from that looks nice, they look like 18 inch wheels so check the insides for tyre wear.

Suspension and all that should be checked out.

Basically give it a good drive on the test drive and you should know if there's anything missing.

Also he's dreaming with that money, it's a 10 year old car next year, he will be lucky to get €3k for it.

EDIT - just realised this is on the OP's thread. Sorry about tht! I'll take it to PM's

Advertisement