Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need info about this tree and ivy

Options
  • 05-12-2016 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have recently bought a new house with my better half and we have this tree in our back yard. I am very much an amateur novice if that is the furthest down the pecking order of knowledge when it comes to these things as it gets :D

But from what I can tell this is ivy growing up through the tree's branches and "chocking it"?? From what I can tell the Ivy (if that is what it is) is coming from the next garden so it is not originating beside the tree.

Another issue is that I think this tree is a Yew tree (again open to correction if you can tell by the image) which is poisonous to dogs and children?? We have two dogs who will be alone in this garden alot when we are not home and one day will likely have children.

So questions are (if you can help)
    • Is this Ivy, and is it difficult to get rid of without access to the root?
    • Is this tree a Yew tree and is it actually dangerous for animals?
    • Would it be safer to get rid of the tree and ivy?

Now I dont want to go destroying the garden because now that we have our own, I hope to have a nice garden. But safety for my dogs is priority

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's not a yew, it looks like a cypress.
    can you see where the ivy is getting on to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I couldnt see where it was getting on as it was getting a little dark when the image was taken. I should be visiting the house again soon to do some work before we move in. I couldnt be sure where it is getting onto the tree but I assume you mean if I can cut that link it could stop it?

I know perhaps a silly question but is there any benefit to cutting it at this time of the year (could the cold weather help to kill it off?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just keep cutting ivy, its not that hard to get rid of. A bit of glyposate based weedkiller will kill if off quick enough. Cut the ivy to a stump then treat the regrowth with glyposate keeping it off the tree you want to keep.

Does anyone know if the cypress is safe to be around animals by any chance? It does look like it could be an amazing little feature to our garden but I guess we are just being a little paranoid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no problems with in terms of toxicity. but cypress can be a bully in terms of size and growth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Can't really see if that's even ivy from picture...

But if it is then just go and cut the ivy at the base of the tree, cutting out sections maybe 20cm long to make sure that all the ivy on the tree is cut off from the roots.

It'll die off eventually. Can take 6 months or longer. If you want to remove the dead ivy from the tree after that then it'll be pretty easy (well, a heck of a lot easier anyway...)

Then of course make sure to pull any new shoots that start on the tree - or treat with weed killer as suggested above.

There really are very few plants that are really poisonous just do a google search but don't get paranoid about it. Yew for example is toxic to animals that graze on it but kids and dogs aren't going to be eating it.

Brilliant thanks everyone. I was worried I had a huge job on my hands. Sounds like a little trim and the long waiting game but at least the tree will survive :D

Mr.H wrote: »
    Brilliant thanks everyone. I was worried I had a huge job on my hands. Sounds like a little trim and the long waiting game but at least the tree will survive :D

Bare in mind that most conifers like the one in your picture only grow from green buds so if you cut back to old wood you won't get any new growth.

When you trim leave some "green" on the branch you are trimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

that's not a yew, it looks like a cypress.
    can you see where the ivy is getting on to it?

Not sure what type of conifer this tree is and can't tell from the photo how big it is. (I agree its not a yew.)I know my parents had a row of trees like this one at the front of their house for about thirty years and had to get them topped by a tree surgeon a couple of years back. They were after getting too tall and this may be a job for the one in the photo in years to come unless you have a really big garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Ivy doesn't "choke" trees.
    It can, however, overwhelm them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i have ivy encroaching my lawn...whats best way to get rid? roundup??

fryup wrote: »
    i have ivy encroaching my lawn...whats best way to get rid? roundup??

Run the rake over it so it lifts it up before you cut.

Roundup will kill the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i don't mind killing some grass, i just want to permanently get rid of that ivy

Create a mowing strip. A dead space say 15cm wide that runs around the edge of where the ivy is coming in from. Then keep all the weeds down in that strip with an occasional spray with roundup.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You could try applying roundup to the ivy leaves only, using a paintbrush. Maybe pop an empty plastic bottle over just to be sure, with both ends cut off. Ivy leaves are waxy so maybe lightly rough up the leaves to help the roundup penetrate (and apply to both sides).

Advertisement