Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the best streets in the city centre?

• 05-12-2016 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭

My vote would be for either Little Catherine Street or Foxes Bow. Thomas Street and Lower Catherine Street are reasonably good too, except for the over-proliferation of stainless steel bollards and road signage.

After that, they're all pretty bad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

If its one thing we love in this country lads its a shed load of road signs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Would be in general agreement with your picks. Would also throw Roches Street and Shannon Street in there, neither are anything special but just not as bad as other Limerick streets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Would be in general agreement with your picks. Would also throw Roches Street and Shannon Street in there, neither are anything special but just not as bad as other Limerick streets!

Actually, they would be really great streets if the on-street parking was removed and the footpaths significantly widened, with landscaping, art, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

Best streets for what though, traffic, shopping, telephone calls ,prettiness ,hanging around , rental returns ?

I could say ,cruises street ,it looks well these days ,outside of what it replaced and the terrible planing for a main shopping street in the city,but then you will never have people agree with that view over what it replaced. :mad:

williams street isnt far off being a nice street a bit of refurb here and there on some buidling and it would be quiet nice ,I have always thought that ,outside of logistics of traffic and other stuff it would be a nicer street to pedestrianise than o oconnell street.

little catherine street and foxes bowe are nice but i would consider then side streets /laneway than anything ...nothing wrong with that i actually think they should have kept more of these small laneway type streets .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thomas Street and Bedford Row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Little Catherine Street for me. Would love to see the Lane between Foxes Bow and Little Catherine Street opened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

It's extremely irritating to see cars being allowed to park up on Little Catherine Street on Sundays. It's a short, narrow street completely unsuited to through traffic. It was an obvious candidate for pedestrianisation. Unfortunately though we had the pathetic spectacle last Sunday of pedestrians having to dodge between the planter boxes, bollards, lamp posts etc in order to get out of the way of cars driving through from William Street!

Those automated bollards at the entrance and exit are there for a reason. How hard is it to just leave them up?! The expensive paving has been chipped, cracked and broken by the vehicular traffic. The exact same damage occurred on Bedford Row as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Pery Square, Hartsonge Street and The Crescent / O'Connell avenue are absolutely beautiful...and that's before you get to know the history of those streets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I have often wondered why double parking is pretty much ignored by traffic wardens on Parnell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Roches Street from its junction with Catherine Street down to O'Connell Street is well presented with a good variety of businesses. It would be even better if they removed/reduced the parking, repaved it with wider footpaths and got rid of those disgusting relics of ESB poles and wiring.

The council really need to get a move on and upgrade more city centre streets. Progress is painfully slow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

zulutango wrote: »
    My vote would be for either Little Catherine Street or Foxes Bow. Thomas Street and Lower Catherine Street are reasonably good too, except for the over-proliferation of stainless steel bollards and road signage.

After that, they're all pretty bad.

O'Connell avenue is pretty nice. William Street is improving.

But more improvements like Thomas Street and Little Catherine Street would be help the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Up around the Redempdorists or "de Fawdurs" used to be a nice part of town, from there down to Souths etc, but it's become dodgy I've noticed. A lot of scumbags around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Pery Square, Hartsonge Street and The Crescent / O'Connell avenue are absolutely beautiful...and that's before you get to know the history of those streets...

Want to give a brief description of some of that history? Would love to hear it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Have to disagree with you there. We do have a tendency to think of those streets as beautiful. They certainly once were, and they could be again, but right now they are not.

The lighting is very inappropriate and (either floodlights mounted on the upper floors of buildings in the case of The Crescent, or ill-placed 80's lamp standards on the other streets). These streets also very car dominated and function mostly as linear car parks. This does really detracts from their appearance. There are overhead wires and a proliferation of street signage. The old Georgian building facades too are fairly compromised with the huge amount of uPVC windows and office signage. Much of the railings on these streets are damaged too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

leakyboots wrote: »
    Want to give a brief description of some of that history? Would love to hear it

As the area is about 250 years old, you could imagine the history the houses hold within their walls...it is too long to justify in a single post. (take a walk of Georgian Limerick if you ever get the chance)

But this area is also home to a number of well known people from our past.

Joseph O'Mara, a highly regarded internationally known opera singer and son of one of the owners of one Limericks famous Bacon Factories, lived just off the Crescent.

Ned Daly, executed in Kilmainham after the Easter Rising lived on Hartstonge st.

Bill Whelan, Grammy award winner, composer of Riverdance also lived on Hartstonge St.

Frank McCourt, Pulitzer Prize winner, grew up in laneways behind Hartstonge St,

Richard Harris and Terry Wogan went to school in the Jesuit Cresent College...

Constance Smith, hollywood contracted actress, was born and raised just off O'Connell Avenue...

Of course, many may suggest that the above is of little interest...but it adds to the charachter and history of the streets if you ask me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

Barrington St for me, hands down. A lovely, quiet street that retains most of its original structures, with beautiful buildings and in a perfect location for city centre living. Right in the heart, but just off the beaten track.

Advertisement