Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decommissioned 303 Lee Enfield

Options
  • 05-12-2016 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Its a long shot I know but I'm trying to get a decommissioned 303 Lee Enfield for my dads 50th coming up soon. Its proven very difficult, can anying put me on to someone that might be able to help anywhere in Ireland.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Its a long shot I know but I'm trying to get a decommissioned 303 Lee Enfield for my dads 50th coming up soon. Its proven very difficult, can anying put me on to someone that might be able to help anywhere in Ireland.
    Thanks

If you are successful in getting a decommissioned 303 Lee Enfield, you'll need a letter from your Superintendent allowing you to keep it.

It's not quite a licence, but you still need permission for one (even though it's a useless piece of steel and wood and no longer a functioning gun).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dublinlad89

I'm aware of what i need for it, I've a couple of decommissioned and live weapons already I just cant get my hands on this particular one.

Thanks for the reply though

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Snipe23

Give john kavanaugh at fingal sports a try he is a good man to source classic rifles

Snipe23 wrote: »
    Give john kavanaugh at fingal sports a try he is a good man to source classic rifles

Cheers pal, ill get in touch with him during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Roksan

Also give Brian or Matt in Harbour guns a shout. They sell 303's but might be able to source you a decommissioned one. Email brian@harbourguns.ie
    Good luck

• Advertisement

Might check them out for a live firing one, have a decommissioned one on its way over, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

another road you could go down is ....... http://www.shootandscoot.co.uk/shop/lee-enfield-no-4/
    p-826-n04_4_medium_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭td5

Try Field and Stream in Moy
    They deal a lot with that type of gear

Picked up the rifle yesterday shes a beauty. Ive been doing a bit of a history search but cant find much of a back round relating to the serial number. Would anyone know of the serial numbers are traceable

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

Hi All,
    How did this one end up?
    Sounds interesting

I had some Lee Enfield I.d links if needed.

Question:
    Did you get a decommissioned one or a working firing one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Picked up the rifle yesterday shes a beauty. Ive been doing a bit of a history search but cant find much of a back round relating to the serial number. Would anyone know of the serial numbers are traceable

EVERYTHING about any Lee-Enfield is traceable. Why don't you tell us what you have?

EVERY mark on every part that has a mark, please. Most information will be stamped on the RH side of the butt socket - that's the metal part that divides the buttstock from the forend. Then, all around the barrel and receiver, on the Nock's form [that's the thick bit of the barrel where it joins the action]. Even the buttstock might have stamps on it.

tac
    VCRAI.com

oflynno wrote: »
    Hi All,
    How did this one end up?
    Sounds interesting

I had some Lee Enfield I.d links if needed.

Question:
    Did you get a decommissioned one or a working firing one?

Took some time, nearly 7 months from initial search, but i eventually got one when I was pointed in the right direction. I needed a decommissioned one as it was a gift and the person didnt want a live firer just a wall hanger. It was originally sourced from Canada, it was live but had to be sent to the UK to be decommissioned then shipped to ireland.

Id love to trace its history if possible, its certainly seen some action its got the battle scars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Uh, have you read post #12?

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    EVERYTHING about any Lee-Enfield is traceable. Why don't you tell us what you have?

EVERY mark on every part that has a mark, please. Most information will be stamped on the RH side of the butt socket - that's the metal part that divides the buttstock from the forend. Then, all around the barrel and receiver, on the Nock's form [that's the thick bit of the barrel where it joins the action]. Even the buttstock might have stamps on it.

tac
    VCRAI.com

Ill have a look at the markings later today and send ur some info. Thanks

tac foley wrote: »
    Uh, have you read post #12?

tac

I missed that one thanks

Advertisement