Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skyrim Age Classification

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rose_Gold

Thank you all for the feedback and the information.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My 13 year old has been playing it since he was 12!
    There is violence but nothing they wouldn't have been exposed to in the Lord of the Rings or Hobbit movie franchises.
    If you were comfortable with him watching those, Skyrim isn't too bad.
    Best suggestion is to sit in with him as he plays it, to satisfy yourself that it is appropriate or take the necessary steps if it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

If you'd be happy for him to watch the hobbit or Lord of the Rings movies. This is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

8 is definitely a bit young, alright.
    Glad we could help. :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Can't blame any youngfella for wanting to get stuck into that dragon action!

The final boss of Minecraft is a dragon... Just sayin'... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I let my 7 year old nephew play a bit... He massacred everyone in Whiterun and I was horrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

OSI wrote: »
    Dearest Son in mumsnet/etc speak.

Sort of implies there's another second rate, less dear son on the scene. Poor chap. :( No Skyrim for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rose_Gold

Sort of implies there's another second rate, less dear son on the scene. Poor chap. :( No Skyrim for him.
    Darling Son (one and only) :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

OSI wrote: »
    Dearest Son in mumsnet/etc speak.

Hahahahaahahaha thats hilarious. Im dying :pac:
    Why not just use son for christ sakes

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah I'd say eight is probably a little bit too young really. There are some darker themes in there that a kid of that age could have problems with.

• Advertisement

Well fair play for asking OP , too many go out and blindly buy what ever their DS (couldn't resist using that :pac: ) asks for.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hmm 8.... With all my gamer essence I want to say: "Just buy your DS ( still funny, sorry) Skyrim and let him lose"
    I played mortal kombat when I was 8 and turned out pretty okay, I think anyway.

I got a 7 year old girl at home and if she would want to play Skyrim I most likely would let her, if she would want to play fallout 4 - no fing way!

I think best bet would be for op to look more at Skyrim footage and reviews. Decide for herself. Put a bit more Intrest in DS gaming. Its not that expensive. Buy it and let him play it. Watch how he plays it and what he does. If he actually interested in dragon's, lore, quests and world, I would say let hin lose! If he goes full on mode rampage on friendly village and killing everyone, then out away game in a cupboard for the next 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The_Last_Guardian_cover_art.jpg

Last guardian came out today and is "Dragon-like" and not violent. From 15mins of gameplay it looks excellent. If he has a playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'd say get it. By the time he finishes it, he'll be 12!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Shiminay wrote: »
    "The violence is quite normal" - y'see that's a sign that we're all (and I very much include myself in this) quite desensitised to this sort of thing

Ah come on. You'd be more traumatised watching the evening news. The violence is cartoonish, and not actually convincing with poor matching up of the animations. I'd be horrified if someone was stabbed or decapitated, but Skyrim is just a game, looks like a game, plays like game and is a game. Nobody suffers PTSD from playing Call of Duty.

And who actually melees in Skyrim anyway? That requires walking. Bound Bow, sneak attack, auto Soul Trap FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Sand wrote: »
    And who actually melees in Skyrim anyway? That requires walking. Bound Bow, sneak attack, auto Soul Trap FTW.
    My Vampire Lord Nord does. Even has vampiric drain on his Daedric sword and Spellbreaker in the other hand.
    Bow is only for dragons that refuse to land
    before you get dragonrend
    and super stealthy assassinations.

This is all off topic but I wanted you to know. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have never seen anyone getting cut up into pieces on the news, nor have I seen them being shot. I've seen the results of these actions, but not the actions themselves and I've certainly never had any agency over these actions when seeing their results on the news...

I'm not trying to be Helen Lovejoy or Mary Whitehouse here folks, I'm just reminding us all that our experiences are quite skewed from the norm and we'd be foolish to suggest it was a representative of the greater populace.

Also: my first playthrough character was a big Nord with a bigger battle-axe that eviscerated all of the things in melee combat (usually only took a couple of swings) :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Shiminay wrote: »
    I have never seen anyone getting cut up into pieces on the news, nor have I seen them being shot. I've seen the results of these actions, but not the actions themselves and I've certainly never had any agency over these actions when seeing their results on the news...

I'm not trying to be Helen Lovejoy or Mary Whitehouse here folks, I'm just reminding us all that our experiences are quite skewed from the norm and we'd be foolish to suggest it was a representative of the greater populace.

Also: my first playthrough character was a big Nord with a bigger battle-axe that eviscerated all of the things in melee combat (usually only took a couple of swings) :D

I think it's you being foolish here if you're trying to tell us the greater populace would see something like Skyrim as notably violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

For me I think the most disturbing game was Dying Light. You'd have infected people screaming and snarling and chasing you and naturally you'd have the 'Feck off, feck off, feck off, die, die, die!' reaction as you'd be beating them to death. Aggression being a natural response to being pursued.

And every now and again, the infected would suddenly revert back to their human persona and beg for their lives, cringing and huddling down. Of course, as soon as you turned your back the infection kicked back in and they attacked you. So you essentially had to beat someone to death as they begged for their life. That was weird - and thankfully rare. I could see Dying Light as a genuinely 18s game for that reason.

But nothing like that happens in Skyrim. Its PG 13 in my book.

Advertisement