Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donating toys to the children's ward

Options
  • 05-12-2016 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi I am just wondering if anyone knows any information about donating toys to the children in the hospital. Myself and a couple of friends are trying to raise some money to buy toys to bring to the sick children and hopefully bring a smile to their face.

If anyone knows any information about donating the toys or can help in anyway it would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Hi I am just wondering if anyone knows any information about donating toys to the children in the hospital. Myself and a couple of friends are trying to raise some money to buy toys to bring to the sick children and hopefully bring a smile to their face.

If anyone knows any information about donating the toys or can help in anyway it would be greatly appreciated

Maybe you should contact the children's ward directly, ask for an email address on the phone so you could write and explain as they might not have someone who could speak to you there. I'd say they might have particular priorities as far as spending extra money goes so enquire what they need or if they'd prefer a donation of money before you buy anything.
    Lovely idea, fair play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dbop2003

PM sent skinandblister

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭skinandblister

Thanks for all the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Thanks for all the help!

If anyone is interested in helping us to buy the toys we have set up a go fund me page <snip>

Thanks again for the help

What happened to the Santa strike force boards used to run?

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    What happened to the Santa strike force boards used to run?

Sorry, I don't know what the Santa strike force is

• Advertisement

Not Galway, but in Sligo, i just walked up to the counter in the ward with a load of stuff from Smyth's, here you go. Nurses were delighted.. bit of a distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Sorry, I don't know what the Santa strike force is

It's in after hours. A thread where posters donate and all the money goes to charities, including hospitals I think

Also, some hospitals and wards will have certain toys that can't be kept due to health and safety- teddys, hard to clean surfaces etc. So I would ask before donating.

Not Galway, but in Sligo, i just walked up to the counter in the ward with a load of stuff from Smyth's, here you go. Nurses were delighted.. bit of a distraction.

That's awesome. We are doing pretty much the same thing but we will bring some chocolates for the nurses as well

neonsofa wrote: »
    Also, some hospitals and wards will have certain toys that can't be kept due to health and safety- teddys, hard to clean surfaces etc. So I would ask before donating.

You've actually covered most of it there.. once they're wipeable, with no small detachable parts, they'd be delighted with it.

neonsofa wrote: »
    It's in after hours. A thread where posters donate and all the money goes to charities, including hospitals I think.

Skin, if you post in that thread, they'll most likely put your suggestion on the list.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057677311/1/#post101838033

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, it's a good thing that you want to donate.
    Asking for funding from other members is not allowed, I have snipped the link.

Santa Strike Force gives donations to charity.
    It is run by board's owners and pretty much the only charity allowed on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You've actually covered most of it there.. once they're wipeable, with no small detachable parts, they'd be delighted with it.

Id ask I think. I know a child with special needs who was in around 2 years ago and there was only one or two things suitable for him and he had to wait all day for a go as there were other children with similar sensory disabilities using them. Sometimes they have specific things that would be handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Id ask I think. I know a child with special needs who was in around 2 years ago and there was only one or two things suitable for him and he had to wait all day for a go as there were other children with similar sensory disabilities using them. Sometimes they have specific things that would be handier.

From experience those projector things that hook up to your phone are great for special needs kids lying in beds, unable to move freely, they can watch movies without having to have a screen held up for them. Don't know which wards allow them or not though so it would be best to ask about them.

While it's great to donate toys, there is a lot that you wouldn't think about like in the post above, and those working on specific wards would instantly know which will be really handy to have and which would be grand for a couple weeks but no longer than that really, given that pieces always go missing or they are not actually practical on the wards. Having said that, I'm sure play rooms and waiting rooms would have more general toys in them.

Advertisement