Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

When the station was at its strongest, it had programmes that had their own identity. Ray D'Arcy isn't to everyone's taste but his personality and music choices were stamped all over his show. The late Tony Fenton did his own thing too as did Ray Foley. I'm of the belief that it doesn't really matter who's behind the microphone these days. The presenters no longer appear to have any control over the records they play and they're all talking the same inane shyte all day. You could issue Feargal D'Arcy, Muireann and D&D with their P45s in the morning, replace them with uber cool former TXFM presenters and still end up with the same awfulness. Someone has come up with a formula for how the station should sound now and the current presenters are pieces of the jigsaw.

This!!! X 1000000000000000000000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Pussyhands wrote:
    Susan keogh pushing her stupid feminist agenda again today with the book review.

I still can't understand how the management at Today FM think that Susan is the best option they have to stand-in for Matt. I realise that TLW isn't what it used to be, but she drags it down to a whole new level of mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

I still can't understand how the management at Today FM think that Susan is the best option they have to stand-in for Matt. I realise that TLW isn't what it used to be, but she drags it down to a whole new level of mediocrity.

Lack of options I guess , Gavin left, hugh lenehan (not sure spelling) is barred from the times issue and it seems their hiring plan is to promote news readers and road traffic readers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

She’s not even qualified to do the show in its entirety ffs! She had to hand over the reigns to the sports guy after 6 yesterday and let him finish the show.
    If the topic isn’t some feminist issue or inane Love Island type conversation, she’s outside her comfort zone by miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭prunudo

Lack of options I guess , Gavin left, hugh lenehan (not sure spelling) is barred from the times issue and it seems their hiring plan is to promote news readers and road traffic readers

Both those 'options' are male and it seems that radio station management have become obsessed with gender quotas/balance even if that means filling slots with poorer quality presenters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

JoeA3 wrote: »
    She’s not even qualified to do the show in its entirety ffs! She had to hand over the reigns to the sports guy after 6 yesterday and let him finish the show.
    If the topic isn’t some feminist issue or inane Love Island type conversation, she’s outside her comfort zone by miles.

what's her background, is she actually a journalist or was she only a news reader beforehand (and seems to be how she got in)

and it seems she's coasting off the time she was "trolled" on the internet imho looking up on her on the web

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

Muireann is in for Ian folks. I'm not a fan of her show but it's a shambles that although she has her own slot on the schedule they continue to use her to fill in for other presenters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

It's very odd.
    That's 3 different presenters to replace him.
    Phil Cawley was so easy going, don't know why he couldn't have done the 3 weeks.

statto25 wrote: »
    Muireann is in for Ian folks. I'm not a fan of her show but it's a shambles that although she has her own slot on the schedule they continue to use her to fill in for other presenters.

It seems to be a thing with the newer and younger presenters. Its like management want everybody to be the same and easily inter changeable between shows, saves them getting too big for their boots and being individual. The social media outrage with the likes of Anton and Will Leahy can't sit too well with those higher up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

what's her background, is she actually a journalist or was she only a news reader beforehand (and seems to be how she got in)

and it seems she's coasting off the time she was "trolled" on the internet imho looking up on her on the web

HA! I thought the very same, she got "trolled" and used it to make a name for herself and her feminist agenda

• Advertisement

Muireann has her own show but she still fills in for Iano and D&D, whats the story here?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'd say they are trying out for the next batch of changes. I don't know why, Phil Cawley was fine filling in for Ian, he should have done the full 3 weeks. Its getting harder and harder to figure out what their target audience is.

whiterebel wrote: »
    . Its getting harder and harder to figure out what their target audience is.

Depends who they're trying to pitch their advertising slot too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Muireann has her own show but she still fills in for Iano and D&D, whats the story here?

It probably just suited her because she is on tv3 in the evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm not a daily listener of TodayFM, I'm in the UK but catch it when I'm working from home for the day. So D&D don't bother me as they're perfect to drop in on now and then every couple of weeks. But yer one Muireann is a bit of a pain in the hole. The show relies way too heavily on text in topics and her fake laugh at the abysmal Gift Grub this morning was pathetic.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Susan keogh pushing her stupid feminist agenda again today with the book review.

The last word yesterday evening was beyond a joke, I turned on the car just in time to hear her on about having more women on the boards of companies, then 20 minutes later whilst flicking through the stations she was on about eddie the eagle who died of natural causes (wtf?) and then it was onto baby on board badges.... how the heck is the head of programming or even a producer not pulling her up on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

As I said re the Moncrieff show, reading out texters funny texts doesn't make the presenter funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I fear group think has sunk in here and even Matt has succumbed to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

music discussion going on about the moment on the last word, sounds like they all haven't a clue, though think that they do.

john caddell is one of them and declared to his fellow contributor "you're a music nerd, I am a music nerd"

the female contributor said in relation to kate bush (in typical I havent a clue style):

"i remember when i was 7 and i heard a kate bush CD and thought to myself i never had heard music like this ever before"

she must have listened to so much music before she was 7!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The news headlines now sum up the way the station has gone. Dumb as f.

This morning I heard headlines that had
    1) main story, eg brexit or trump
    2) some Irish serious story
    3) the world's least favourite emoji

• Advertisement

music discussion going on about the moment on the last word, sounds like they all haven't a clue, though think that they do.

john caddell is one of them and declared to his fellow contributor "you're a music nerd, I am a music nerd"

the female contributor said in relation to kate bush (in typical I havent a clue style):

"i remember when i was 7 and i heard a kate bush CD and thought to myself i never had heard music like this ever before"

she must have listened to so much music before she was 7!!

that john cadell gets on my wick

that john cadell gets on my wick

Gannon is the worst reviewer by far on the show, irritating, picks awful shows (according to her twitter she's never seen breaking bad or the wire - and always plumps for reality crap like love island)...how she got the reviewer spot and how did she overcome the times ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

NIMAN wrote: »
    The news headlines now sum up the way the station has gone. Dumb as f.

This morning I heard headlines that had
    1) main story, eg brexit or trump
    2) some Irish serious story
    3) the world's least favourite emoji

Its gone down the road of iRadios news, which is also sh!te. When they got rid of the 15 min news at 1 it all went downhill.
    Who honestly cares that Billy Piper is having another baby? They have shoehorn some entertainment story into every bulletin.

Gannon is the worst reviewer by far on the show, irritating, picks awful shows (according to her twitter she's never seen breaking bad or the wire - and always plumps for reality crap like love island)...how she got the reviewer spot and how did she overcome the times ban

She's the absolute pits. Everything she utters is just the worst worst inane awful drivel imaginable.

It's like the show gives the listeners absolutely zero credit in the intelligence department. Dumbed down to the basement. Where's the intelligent radio that it used to be only a few years ago? Christ.

There isn't a hope in hell that she works for the Irish Times! I know print media, and the Irish Times to a certain extent, isn't what it used to be, but standards would have to be at an all-time low to employ that mouthpiece.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Shows the standards that TodayFM have sunk to. When Maria was off on maternity Shelly was as bad as Jennifer Gannon. Every programme she put forward was absolute tripe, and Dave Moore gleefully agreed with her. I watched one episode on C4 of a "comedy" about a letting agent. Sweet Jesus, I've never seen anything quite as bad as it, yet the two of them thought it utterly hilarious. Same with Friday night dinner. Rule of thumb became: If she praises it, avoid like the plague.

she is the worst of the worst, i honestly cant believe the times let her write for them, she represents the worst of brain dead television, TLW had gotten rid of her there when they let the other lad from the times go (cant remember his name, used to just sit there and laugh at everything) but they brought her back in recent times with her fake d4 accent

• Advertisement

she is the worst of the worst, i honestly cant believe the times let her write for them, she represents the worst of brain dead television, TLW had gotten rid of her there when they let the other lad from the times go (cant remember his name, used to just sit there and laugh at everything) but they brought her back in recent times with her fake d4 accent

Patrick Freyne. Another dose. He used to spend the whole slot giggling like an over excited child.

Advertisement