Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

They won’t give Louise Duffy a prime timev/day slot as the ratings tanked when she had lunch and then the 2.30-4.30 show ... I could actually see ed smith getting the 7pm and Louise move to weekend or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree. They are both absolutely dire.Muireann just tries way too hard and ends up sounding ridiculous because everything is amazing and wonderful. As for Darcy- he defies belief. He is just woeful.What I find interesting is that since ed Smith has left the show as producer Darcy is completely on his own now. The new producer has zero interaction with him. He definitely struggles on his own. I don’t honestly think he’s going to hold onto that slot much longer.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Didn't realise Muireann was made permanent on today fm. Septic. Between d'arcy and herself they're insufferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

They won’t give Louise Duffy a prime timev/day slot as the ratings tanked when she had lunch and then the 2.30-4.30 show ... I could actually see ed smith getting the 7pm and Louise move to weekend or something

Her midday show tanked, I liked it at first but it was the exact same show day in day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Gosh, this thread has turned in to the most negative place on boards! Says a lot about the way the station has gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Look at Love Island. That was axed in the mid 00s due to terrible viewing figures, and when it was rebooted in 2015 it went on to become ITV2's most watched show ever. EVER. Who's to say a second chance wouldn't work out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'm glad I've found this thread. I have a some stuff to get off my chest...

Today FM has nosedived at an alarming rate over the past 12 months. Anton (whatever your view of him) was right to get out when he did. He saw the changes that were coming and got out.

Terrible music played on repeat every day. I recently spent a Sunday doing a round-trip over a few hours. Today FM played two particular songs twice within the space of four hours. This more than anything shows the terrible decision they have made in terms of their music content.

Having Muireann "AMAZING" O'Connell, and Fergal "if I put on a fake accent, people won't recognize I'm a culchie" D'Arcy presenting two of the main shows. Awful desicions.

Mario "smuggest man in Ireland" getting his own show. Awful decision.

Whatever focus groups or big Data they are looking at to come up with these decisions, they are wrong. This is not what people want

The music getting played under news reports to make it more dramatic. Jesus Christ.

The FM104 of the national airwaves is what it's morphing into.

I actually like Ian, but find myself changing stations every few minutes because the music is awful on his show now.... Jaxx Jones, Arianna Grande, Gavin James, Picture ****,...repeat ad nauseum

Awful, awful, awful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Has anyone else noticed how often they play Wheatus' Teenage Dirtbag? Today FM is on in the office all day every day here and it must be at least once a week that they play this song. It's really bizarre. Of all the classics to mix up the dire playlist of the same 15 songs repeated all day, every day, why THIS one? Are they getting a special deal for every time they play it or what?

Well said!!
    I'm glad I've found this thread. I have a some stuff to get off my chest...

Today FM has nosedived at an alarming rate over the past 12 months. Anton (whatever your view of him) was right to get out when he did. He saw the changes that were coming and got out.

Terrible music played on repeat every day. I recently spent a Sunday doing a round-trip over a few hours. Today FM played two particular songs twice within the space of four hours. This more than anything shows the terrible decision they have made in terms of their music content.

Having Muireann "AMAZING" O'Connell, and Fergal "if I put on a fake accent, people won't recognize I'm a culchie" D'Arcy presenting two of the main shows. Awful desicions.

Mario "smuggest man in Ireland" getting his own show. Awful decision.

Whatever focus groups or big Data they are looking at to come up with these decisions, they are wrong. This is not what people want

The music getting played under news reports to make it more dramatic. Jesus Christ.

The FM104 of the national airwaves is what it's morphing into.

I actually like Ian, but find myself changing stations every few minutes because the music is awful on his show now.... Jaxx Jones, Arianna Grande, Gavin James, Picture ****,...repeat ad nauseum

Awful, awful, awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭baldbear

I think Muireann is great. There I said it. Don't crucify me. :) & 100% she is a hurling bandwagoner. She said it herself.

baldbear wrote: »
    I think Muireann is great. There I said it. Don't crucify me. :) & 100% she is a hurling bandwagoner. She said it herself.

I hope you're being sarcastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I too like Mur N.

Can't stand Fergal Darcy, though.

2FM is A LOT better than Today FM at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Muireann is a very good DJ. I take her over any “tv star/wannabe DJ” anyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

I don’t mind her , not great but since they have to have a female on the day , she’s the best they have at Today fm, better than Paula (I’ve a fella don’t you know), Louise, Alison babies Curtis, and Susan Keogh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

She's probably following instructions to be over-enthusiastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Loughc wrote: »

Is this a dig at Nicky Byrne!

Loughc wrote: »

She IS a TV star. She's on the Six O Clock Show.

I don’t mind her , not great but since they have to have a female on the day , she’s the best they have at Today fm, better than Paula (I’ve a fella don’t you know), Louise, Alison babies Curtis, and Susan Keogh

Best female they have is Kelly Anne Byrne... it was Nadine O'Regan but her show got the chop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

The total weekly JNLR listenership for Today FM is 884,000

The total weekly JNLR listenership for 2fm is 850,000

Dan Healy is closing the gap & i think he will soon overtake Today FM in the total weekly listenership figures

2fm beats Today FM in the Mon-Fri numbers, it's Today FM's weekend figures that edge out 2fm in the weekly total when they are all added up

I agree-she hasn’t much competition.
    Having said that I always liked Louise-she was very easy to listen to and really does have a lovely personality. Paula-She really use to get on my nerves but when she was filling in for Muireann I found her great. So much better than Muireann. I just find her such hard work to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Look at Love Island. That was axed in the mid 00s due to terrible viewing figures, and when it was rebooted in 2015 it went on to become ITV2's most watched show ever. EVER. Who's to say a second chance wouldn't work out?

Mikey, you should be in politics with your creative spin and excuses.

Or comedy. Keep up the "good" work though, your posts always make me laugh....if only for how delusional they are.

Mikey, you should be in politics with your creative spin and excuses.

Or comedy. Keep up the "good" work though, your posts always make me laugh....if only for how delusional they are.
    You're saying Louise shouldn't be put back on daytime?

Sure; put her, Laura Whitmore, and Dara Quilty on as your Dream Team. Then when your next flavour of the month minute comes on the scene, add them to it as well. By Christmas you'll have 40 people hosting.

ONLY YOU could cite Love Island as a reference point for a different medium. You must want a PR job in Communicorp so badly......

As someone who knows more than one person who is currently in there, and more than one who left - be careful what you wish for.

Sorry, I failed to answer your original question. No, I wouldn't put her on.

I think you must be suffering from the Average At Best Radio Presenter variation of Shiny New Object Syndrome.

It's Louise today.
    It'll be Laura tomorrow.
    On Thursday it'll be Dara Quilty should be presenting every show on Today FM.
    On Friday it'll be Today FM should poach Lottie Ryan from 2FM to target the Kardashian News Fans.
    By Saturday it'll be Doireann Garrihy is totes amazeballs, Today FM should move her up from Spin so she can bring her social media followers with her.
    And next week we'll start it all over again.

I think you must be suffering from the Average At Best Radio Presenter variation of Shiny New Object Syndrome.

It's Louise today.
    It'll be Laura tomorrow.
    On Friday it'll be Today FM should poach Lottie Ryan from 2FM to target the Kardashian News Fans.
    By Saturday it'll be Doireann Garrihy is totes amazeballs, Today FM should move her up from Spin so she can bring her social media followers with her.
    I'd rather listen to them than Muireann. She is painfully unlistenable

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

She IS a TV star. She's on the Six O Clock Show.

She was a DJ first. I don’t mind her crossing over to tv. I hate when tv stars with no DJ experience get a prime slot on radio just because they are quasi-famous.

It's Louise today.
    It'll be Laura tomorrow.

she failed in two prime spots beforehand and I think she wants to focus on the fashion stuff her husband gets up to and the "blogging" (originally the story they came out with when they switched her and ferg)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Sick of those bloody Court Me ads. And TodayFM breaks. Only things I listen to these days is D&D and a bit of McCloone if I'm driving in the evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I've said it before, but the thread seems to have livened up, they may as well ditch Muireann and just play this on loop for two hours, the end result is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'd rather listen to them than Muireann. She is painfully unlistenable

Dara Quilty is an absolute spanner. Should not be allowed near the airwaves.

Advertisement