Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,958 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Michael Walsh. He's very pro-trump, but at least he wasn't afraid to have a go at Matt and Marion for their constant Trump-bashing. I think Matt was a bit rattled at one stage

He is an embarrassment. More like a Mario parody than an actual person :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Oh he was very rattled, i've never actually heard him so rattled and yes the trump bashing is boring at this stage but Cal is always respectful in his arguement, this guy tried to twist an actual fact

Whilst I agree that, on this occasion, Matt was correct to criticise Trump for the remarks he made about McCain, I was also delighted that Michael Walsh (wrongly in this instance) called Matt out for his Trump-bashing. Matt cannot discuss a single American news item anymore in an objective manner, everything relates back to Trump. Have you seen his Twitter profile, it is ridiculous, the man is obsessed.

(PS I'm not a Trump supporter, but just like a bit of balance - which the presenter is supposed to represent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I've said it before, but the thread seems to have livened up, they may as well ditch Muireann and just play this on loop for two hours, the end result is the same.

I can't listen to her for two MINUTES let alone two HOURS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm always interested in what Cal has to say because we need to hear the alternative conservative viewpoints. I don't always agree with him but he never comes across to me as a crank. He doesn't try to excuse everything Trump has done and said recently that he dislikes him as a person. He loves his economic policies and what he's implementing. That's fair enough. Michael Walsh always comes across as an obnoxious, heavily biased extremist with no nuances whatsoever. It's no harm that he rattled the Matt/Marion cosy consensus but I don't rate him as a commentator.

Does anyone ever remember the conservative guy Cal recommended to Matt as a stand in guest once? He kept calling Marion Mary and eventually hung up in a fit of rage. Now that sounded like a Gift Grub sketch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

I'm always interested in what Cal has to say because we need to hear the alternative conservative viewpoints. I don't always agree with him but he never comes across to me as a crank. He doesn't try to excuse everything Trump has done and said recently that he dislikes him as a person. He loves his economic policies and what he's implementing. That's fair enough. Michael Walsh always comes across as an obnoxious, heavily biased extremist with no nuances whatsoever. It's no harm that he rattled the Matt/Marion cosy consensus but I don't rate him as a commentator.

Does anyone ever remember the conservative guy Cal recommended to Matt as a stand in guest once? He kept calling Marion Mary and eventually hung up in a fit of rage. Now that sounded like a Gift Grub sketch.

i think that might have been the same guy as last night, he got marions name wrong too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,958 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats Mr. Walsh :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

No, it definitely wasn't Michael Walsh. It was another man. A few years ago.

I just listened back, it was michael walsh, what a hideous individual

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Can someone explain to me how Paul Collins has a job on one of the biggest shows on radio in yours country? Hasn't a clue about sports

Can someone explain to me how Paul Collins has a job on one of the biggest shows on radio in yours country? Hasn't a clue about sports

ah i think thats a bit unfair, hes very knowledgeable on GAA, hes no better or worse than any sports presenter

• Advertisement

radio shows really are running out of content, this morning D&D told dempsey that the main topic on their show would be email etiquette, dempsey himself only covered this on monday ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

You’re right and would you be believe it Muireann O’Connell had it on her show yesterday.

radio shows really are running out of content, this morning D&D told dempsey that the main topic on their show would be email etiquette, dempsey himself only covered this on monday ffs

johnire wrote: »
    You’re right and would you be believe it Muireann O’Connell had it on her show yesterday.

Ah ffs, so the 3 daytime shows all covered the same mundane topic, must be fergus darcys turn tomorrow

You’re right!!! And I bet he’ll end up managing to talk about his school/teenage/college years and show us all just how sound he is !!!!!
    Ah ffs, so the 3 daytime shows all covered the same mundane topic, must be fergus darcys turn tomorrow

You’re right!!! And I bet he’ll end up managing to talk about his school/teenage/college years and show us all just how sound he is !!!!!

lol, he might bring on his "very good friend" from his school days in garbally college who sent him an email back when he wore tear away tracksuit bottoms and in the email his very good friend said he was so sound

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

ah i think thats a bit unfair, hes very knowledgeable on GAA, hes no better or worse than any sports presenter

It's not unfair at all. Off script he's unbelievably clueless about sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I think it's fair to say Today FM is becoming more of a talk station, albeit more light hearted than Newstalk.

Rackard wrote: »
    It's not unfair at all. Off script he's unbelievably clueless about sport.

well he enjoys the ski trips anyway...

That sums him up exactly. The guy lives his present life through his past. It’s just bizarre listening to him.

QUOTE=aroundthehouse;107930075]lol, he might bring on his "very good friend" from his school days in garbally college who sent him an email back when he wore tear away tracksuit bottoms and in the email his very good friend said he was so sound[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

GAA is the only sport he knows anything about, and he tries to shoehorn it in whenever and wherever he can. The rest of the sports presenters on Today FM are far more knowledgeable than him.

• Advertisement

GAA is the only sport he knows anything about, and he tries to shoehorn it in whenever and wherever he can. The rest of the sports presenters on Today FM are far more knowledgeable than him.

its gas how he always gives a plus for some local fundraiser down in tipp!

That sums him up exactly. The guy lives his present life through his past. It’s just bizarre listening to him.

QUOTE=aroundthehouse;107930075]lol, he might bring on his "very good friend" from his school days in garbally college who sent him an email back when he wore tear away tracksuit bottoms and in the email his very good friend said he was so sound
    [/QUOTE]

i totally agree, its bizarre listening to him, i actually feel bad for him he obviously cant grow up and let go of his teenage days, we all enjoyed them but if your not moving on then you need to take a serious look at yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Is D'arcy still doing the you're so sound thing?

FFS he was at that literally 10 years ago on iRadio.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Is D'arcy still doing the you're so sound thing?

FFS he was at that literally 10 years ago on iRadio.

yes, the man is going backwards, wouldnt surprise me if he wears his old school uniform into work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Celebraaaate good times... Come one!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Celebraaaate good times... Come one!:D

Waiting on a call all day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Waiting on a call all day!

Samsies :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

One of the things that annoys me most about him is when he refers to Managers in other sports as "Bainsiteoir"; i.e. Irish Rugby Bainisteoir Joe Schmidt, Manchester United Bainisteoir Joe Mourhino, etc. etc.

And I say this as a Gaeilgeoir!

He knows as much about other sports as Alan Quinlan..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Listened to the TV slot on The Last Word last night in the car. Matt said he was watching "Succession" on Sky Atlantic. It's made by HBO and has been one of the best-received debut seasons of any US show in recent years. Neither of the two reviewers had heard of it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

On top of this, the female reviewer in her comments on the lack of female contestants on the BBC's University Challenge said the reason so few competed was the fear of being ridiculed on social media. Her suggestion to encourage more female contestants? Have more questions on women. More feminazi BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

On top of this, the female reviewer in her comments on the lack of female contestants on the BBC's University Challenge said the reason so few competed was the fear of being ridiculed on social media. Her suggestion to encourage more female contestants? Have more questions on women. More feminazi BS.

She's an intensely irritating one trick pony. That's her angle every week, no mater how tenuous the link, it has to come back to some lame feminist "issue".

She even did it a couple of weeks ago when Matt brought up Michael Lyster's impending retirement from presenting the Sunday Game after 35 odd years!

Advertisement