Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Listened to the TV slot on The Last Word last night in the car. Matt said he was watching "Succession" on Sky Atlantic. It's made by HBO and has been one of the best-received debut seasons of any US show in recent years. Neither of the two reviewers had heard of it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

On top of this, the female reviewer in her comments on the lack of female contestants on the BBC's University Challenge said the reason so few competed was the fear of being ridiculed on social media. Her suggestion to encourage more female contestants? Have more questions on women. More feminazi BS.
    Without hearing that segment, that contributor had to be Roe McDermott? Or else Jennifer Gannon. Two absolute pains. Once this new wave of feminism is over, hopefully they will go back to being irrelevant once more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

Listened to the TV slot on The Last Word last night in the car. Matt said he was watching "Succession" on Sky Atlantic. It's made by HBO and has been one of the best-received debut seasons of any US show in recent years. Neither of the two reviewers had heard of it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

On top of this, the female reviewer in her comments on the lack of female contestants on the BBC's University Challenge said the reason so few competed was the fear of being ridiculed on social media. Her suggestion to encourage more female contestants? Have more questions on women. More feminazi BS.

oh man, i didnt hear it last night but no doubt it was either jenny gannon, laura barry or ester o moore dontknowwho the crap they review is desperate sh1te altogether and everything has to have a feminist slant
    i think they do just be out in the lobby hanging around with susan keogh in the SJW support group and mat the cat pulls them in to talk about tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

JoeA3 wrote: »
    She's an intensely irritating one trick pony. That's her angle every week, no mater how tenuous the link, it has to come back to some lame feminist "issue".

She even did it a couple of weeks ago when Matt brought up Michael Lyster's impending retirement from presenting the Sunday Game after 35 odd years!

It's actually inherently sexist in itself. She's basically suggesting "women only know about women's stuff". University Challenge is an academic quiz FFS.

It's actually inherently sexist in itself. She's basically suggesting "women only know about women's stuff". University Challenge is an academic quiz FFS.
    The burning question is what she is even doing watching University Challenge, wouldn't she be better-off watching re-runs of Love Island instead?! :pac:

The burning question is what she is even doing watching University Challenge, wouldn't she be better-off watching re-runs of Love Island instead?! :pac:

I doubt she's ever watched a full episode of University Challenge in her life tbh given her suggestion that it needs more questions on women - that's absolutely not a topic on UC, and neither is there a "men" questions round. WTF does she think UC is? A sports quiz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

she did a tweet a few weeks before whinging why people were annoyed she never saw breaking bad and the wire (while claiming to be a tv reviewer) and she was boring everyone to tears with a love island obsession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Without hearing that segment, that contributor had to be Roe McDermott? Or else Jennifer Gannon. Two absolute pains. Once this new wave of feminism is over, hopefully they will go back to being irrelevant once more.

It was Aoife Barry from the journal.ie.

Another one of those identikit modern feminists

she did a tweet a few weeks before whinging why people were annoyed she never saw breaking bad and the wire (while claiming to be a tv reviewer) and she was boring everyone to tears with a love island obsession

WTAF? If you’ve never watched The Wire or Breaking Bad, you can’t credibly describe yourself as a tv critic. 2 of the 3 best written and best acted tv shows of all time.

Likewise, if you endorse Love Island as being must watch tv, you can’t credibly describe yourself as a tv critic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

One of the things that annoys me most about him is when he refers to Managers in other sports as "Bainsiteoir"; i.e. Irish Rugby Bainisteoir Joe Schmidt, Manchester United Bainisteoir Joe Mourhino, etc. etc.

And I say this as a Gaeilgeoir!

He knows as much about other sports as Alan Quinlan..........

I was scratching my head when they had alan quinlan on and he was discussing all these other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭deise man

Seems like being able to have the banter with the lads is top priority if you want a job in today fm. The station is full of brain dead rubbish e.g. the entertainment news on Ian Dempsey or Dermot and Dave laughing at each other. I think somebody said earlier in this thread that you need to disengage your brain when listening to today fm. They were dead right. I used to listen all day now couldn't care less if they went off the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

No warning this morning that Alison would be in for Ian.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No warning this morning that Alison would be in for Ian.

That’s bad form, just to unleash Alison on the world at that time of the morning, and no warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

whiterebel wrote: »
    That’s bad form, just to unleash Alison on the world at that time of the morning, and no warning.

ian announced it yesterday before he signed off...i meant to put it here but forgot.....sorry everybody!

Anybody know why Ester O Moore Donoghue breaks into an American accent every time she has to go off her traffic script?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

statto25 wrote: »
    ian announced it yesterday before he signed off...i meant to put it here but forgot.....sorry everybody!

On a slightly related topic how many Annual Leave days to Today Fm give their staff?!
    They always seem to be off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Anybody know why Ester O Moore Donoghue breaks into an American accent every time she has to go off her traffic script?

I think it's a prerequisite for females broadcasting on Today FM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I think it's a prerequisite for females broadcasting on Today FM

Forgot what she sounded like so I googled her, she has a podcast and she has an american accent. lol

It's probably part of the process to give her more of an on-air persona and, lo and behold, next time Matt is off from TLW she will probably be sitting-in for him! :pac: Seems to be the recruitment process in Today FM these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭lambayire

dragonfly! wrote: »
    On a slightly related topic how many Annual Leave days to Today Fm give their staff?!

Allegedly 25. Well that's what Dave said on air the other week.
    Doesn't make sense to me but I wonder do they get days in lieu for when they do remotes.

lambayire wrote: »
    Doesn't make sense to me but I wonder do they get days in lieu for when they do remotes.

sure Dermot and dave have more holidays than the teachers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

lambayire wrote: »

niiice
    How do I get a job with that much leave?!:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

niiice

Put on a "Carry-On-esque" style of comedy persona and don't be afraid to grab any challenge by the balls.

niiice

you need to have the ability to do the following:

- talk absolute gibberish, get a mate on with you and laugh at each other daily

- go on joe.ie or some similar pile of sh1te website and pick a quirky topic and turn your whole show into that topic

- go on youtube, throw together a few dance tunes from the 90's and get up on your desk and dance

- talk persistently about your school days, call everyone your good friend, dress like a teenager even though your in your late 30's

To lose said job - become a sex pest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

niiice

Go to Today FM?

Such was my rage at the University Challenge for Kardashians BS yesterday I forgot to mention this:

Matt announced that Amanda Byram wouldn't be hosting the next season of Dancing With The Relatives of Celebrities Ireland next year. The group then bandied about a list of the usual RTÉ suspects (Katherine Thomas, Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh etc.), and then Matt said Muireann O'Connell would be an excellent choice. I'll just leave that there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

You’re spot on. Absolutely brilliant. That sums up Today FM in a nutshell.
    you need to have the ability to do the following:

- talk absolute gibberish, get a mate on with you and laugh at each other daily

- go on joe.ie or some similar pile of sh1te website and pick a quirky topic and turn your whole show into that topic

- go on youtube, throw together a few dance tunes from the 90's and get up on your desk and dance

- talk persistently about your school days, call everyone your good friend, dress like a teenager even though your in your late 30's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

GAATipperary Hurling is the only sport he knows anything about, and he tries to shoehorn it in whenever and wherever he can. The rest of the sports presenters on Today FM are far more knowledgeable than him.

FYP!

Not nearly as much as RTE. Hoe Duffy has had 35 days off this year and it's still August. He had 12 weeks off last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Such was my rage at the University Challenge for Kardashians BS yesterday I forgot to mention this:

Matt announced that Amanda Byram wouldn't be hosting the next season of Dancing With The Relatives of Celebrities Ireland next year. The group then bandied about a list of the usual RTÉ suspects (Katherine Thomas, Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh etc.), and then Matt said Muireann O'Connell would be an excellent choice. I'll just leave that there.
    Matt is crazy.

Advertisement