Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Heard about 20 seconds of that annoying Curtis woman this morning. She spoke/giggled one sentence started blithering about kids I drove 60 miles in silence after it and it was golden. I understand there must be a market for her but thankfully it’s not a demographic I’m familiar with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

The annoying Gahhiry wan was doing stuff with Today fm at Electric picnic today / want to bet she’s going to get a show soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

The annoying Gahhiry wan was doing stuff with Today fm at Electric picnic today / want to bet she’s going to get a show soon

Ian Dempsey is her godfather, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Matt is crazy.

MC has turned into a big woman. Sad.
    He used to be a good journo.

As for TodayFM, they started their main news report this morning with talk of electric picnic.

That's entertainment news, not main news.

It really is a trash station now, retuned for the low attention span generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Ian Dempsey is her godfather, I believe.

thanks Irish media for always giving opportunities for your talentless family members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I was thinking about the Communicorp stable this morning in the gym. I think they’re trying to move audiences by age from Spin to Today FM and eventually into Newstalk as they get older. Spin is for teenagers and college kids; Today FM has definitely been dumbed down in recent years and the music playlists have shortened and become more mainstream in their effort at transitioning Spin (age profile) listeners into more adult radio as they get older, whilst Newstalk is their effort at high brow talk radio as you age further.

I understand their need to differentiate Newstalk and TFM as they had largely similar audience profiles, but they’ve done so at the expense of quality. The result is Newstalk remains largely the same (though I’d also argue the quality has dipped significantly), but hey’ve made TFM into a generic mess of formulaic blandness whilst attempting to attract a younger audience. Take The Last Word (which really belongs on Newstalk) away, and there’s not much difference between them and 2fm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

If I have to listen to Dermot and Dave roll down a hill once more....
    I am the only person in the office tomorrow so I get to change station and then I am out of the country for 2 weeks wooooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I was thinking about the Communicorp stable this morning in the gym. I think they’re trying to move audiences by age from Spin to Today FM and eventually into Newstalk as they get older. Spin is for teenagers and college kids; Today FM has definitely been dumbed down in recent years and the music playlists have shortened and become more mainstream in their effort at transitioning Spin (age profile) listeners into more adult radio as they get older, whilst Newstalk is their effort at high brow talk radio as you age further.

I understand their need to differentiate Newstalk and TFM as they had largely similar audience profiles, but they’ve done so at the expense of quality. The result is Newstalk remains largely the same (though I’d also argue the quality has dipped significantly), but hey’ve made TFM into a generic mess of formulaic blandness whilst attempting to attract a younger audience. Take The Last Word (which really belongs on Newstalk) away, and there’s not much difference between them and 2fm.
    You never mentioned 98FM. I'm 24 and that is my main station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You never mentioned 98FM. I'm 24 and that is my main station

Sorry. Dara Quilty is amazeballs and Lara Whitmore is also amazeballs. 98FM Rocks.

Happy now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

exactly, TLW sticks out like a sore thumb, its like throwing today with Sean O Rourke onto 2fm
    todayfm has become Spin for the over 35's the dumbed down news gets on my wick, "donald trump drinks a can of fanta, more heartbreak for simon cowell and lollipops, heres your 6 at 6"
    what i want is what todayfm was originally for, over 35's who want a blend of good music, current affairs and decent presenting, newstalk for me is a bit too news orientated

• Advertisement

her godfather ian dempsey has her on his show at any opportunity, shes a serious pain in the hole

Sorry. Dara Quilty is amazeballs and Lara Whitmore is also amazeballs. 98FM Rocks.

Happy now?

Brian Maher is my fave on 98 :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭prunudo

her godfather ian dempsey has her on his show at any opportunity, shes a serious pain in the hole

There'll be a slot available on the early morning breakfast when Paula goes on maternity leave.

jvan wrote: »
    There'll be a slot available on the early morning breakfast when Paula goes on maternity leave.

Maybe one of 98FM's presenters will get it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Maybe one of 98FM's presenters will get it?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Why is Fergal Darcy the only person in Today FM that lost his voice after the Electric Picnic weekend. The others were there and they’re ok. He sounds absolutely ridiculous.

johnire wrote: »
    Why is Fergal Darcy the only person in Today FM that lost his voice after the Electric Picnic weekend. The others were there and they’re ok. He sounds absolutely ridiculous.

because hes a gobdaw who thinks hes still 15 years old

You could just be right!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

had today fm on my car radio, had the misfortune of hearing the start of the last word. Matt cooper, the fanny, described Trump as 'one of the most hated foreigners ever to Irish people'. When did his sad opinion become the opinion of the nation ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

2smiggy wrote: »
    had today fm on my car radio, had the misfortune of hearing the start of the last word. Matt cooper, the fanny, described Trump as 'one of the most hated foreigners ever to Irish people'. When did his sad opinion become the opinion of the nation ?

The media are out of touch.

Most Irish people couldn't care less about Trump.

The only ones that do are Looney lefties and the virtue signallers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

He probably had a big line of people in front of him all weekend and had to shout more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Listened to Muireann on the tv last friday.

Man pulls a fishpie out of the oven. Muireann: "This is AMAZING!!!"

2smiggy wrote: »

virtually every tweet of him is him crying over Trump, its a sad creepy obsession

Pussyhands wrote: »

"I'm Dave Davin and this is the Today FM lunchtime show. Now here is (X) with their song (Y)!"

Oh if only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

"I'm Dave Davin and this is the Today FM lunchtime show. Now here is (X) with their song (Y)!"

Oh if only.

WTF ?

WTF ?

I'll tell you WTF:
    Muireann O'Connell: hardly plays any music, talks about trivial topics, calls everything "amaaaazing", is quite painful to listen to
    Dave Davin: bilingual, keeps his links short and snappy, focuses on playing music, very easy on the ears.

Which would YOU rather listen to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I'd rather listen to Spotify than either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

That's what I do most of the time now. Anyway, even if Dave Davin got the gig he'd be under instruction to be every bit as hyper and inane as Muireann and Feargal and all their buddies. It's wot the yoof want these days, apparently.

Her vocabulary consists of the words amazing,wonderful and beautiful. That’s it
    Pussyhands wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

Today on the Lunchtime show....Muireann chats about something quirky her neighbor does with their bins...Jesus wept.
    I don't believe Muireann is a poor broadcaster as she wasn't like this in her previous shows. She is following a "script" in my opinion on how Today FM bosses want the lunchtime show to sound. Its the same drivel when people cover for her who also happen to be decent presenters on their own shows (apart from Paula Mc!)

Advertisement