Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Wow Matt eviscerated Marion McKeon over the Serena Williams affair.

Very surprising.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Bet she wasn't expecting remote disemboweling as a consequence of her opinion.

Guess it's a sign of the times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

5555555555 wrote: »
    Wow Matt eviscerated Marion McKeon over the Serena Williams affair.

Very surprising.

On the Last Word today Marian McKeown went down a lot in my estimation as she defended Williams to the hilt.

It was all the umpire's fault. Serena did nothing wrong, and men are much worse. That was her angle, despite Matt Cooper basically telling her facts that proved she was talking nonsense.

Fair play Matt...took a stand for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I presume he's being administered electric shocks and a lobotomy by his production team as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

NIMAN wrote: »
    On the Last Word today Marian McKeown went down a lot in my estimation as she defended Williams to the hilt.

It was all the umpire's fault. Serena did nothing wrong, and men are much worse. That was her angle, despite Matt Cooper basically telling her facts that proved she was talking nonsense.

Fair play Matt...took a stand for once.

surprised....he always takes her side, never challenges her opinions and lets her rant on and then does the opposite to Cal Thomas, who'se probably one of the few decent contributors on the show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

surprised....he always takes her side, never challenges her opinions and lets her rant on and then does the opposite to Cal Thomas, who'se probably one of the few decent contributors on the show

Something is going on here. The fact that he strongly disagreed with her is shocking. We probably won't see him for a couple of weeks as he is sent back to reeducation camp. The effects of the last therapy session must have worn off. A doubling of the shock treatment will be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

quintana76 wrote: »
    Something is going on here. The fact that he strongly disagreed with her is shocking. We probably won't see him for a couple of weeks as he is sent back to reeducation camp. The effects of the last therapy session must have worn off. A doubling of the shock treatment will be necessary.

He had to. She hadn't a clue what she was talking about. I'm not even sure why he asked her about it, as she clearly had very little knowledge on the subject.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

He had to. She hadn't a clue what she was talking about. I'm not even sure why he asked her about it, as she clearly had very little knowledge on the subject.

yep, veer outside of DC politics and she knows nothing about anything else, she was way out of her depth on the serena williams issue, she clearly didnt know anything about the incident or tennis in general and matt the cat had to pull her up several times... she is a typical leftie feminist whinger as seems to be the main thread for TLW recently

apart from his defending of Trump, I have great time for Cal, he is a very knowledgeable guy and generally respectful in his debates and looks at things in a sensible light. I totally agree with his assessment of American Football (and it applies to a lot of other sports now too) why cant it just be about the football, sport is supposed to be an escape from the world for a couple of hours for people, it should just be about the sport...

Ian Dempsey was pretty non complimentary to the Aussie singer on with him this morning, he said the button factory was very small and when the guy said noel gallagher would probably hate him Iano said Liam would hate him even more, then he asked him if he will be doing Oasis covers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I can't find Matt coopers discussion with Marian mckeown on the last word show page under podcasts. Did someone in the today fm top brass not take kindly to Matt having an alternative opinion about Serena ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I can't find Matt coopers discussion with Marian mckeown on the last word show page under podcasts. Did someone in the today fm top brass not take kindly to Matt having an alternative opinion about Serena ?

Its up there alright, under the title “Donald Trump’s visit to Ireland has been cancelled”.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Its up there alright, under the title “Donald Trump’s visit to Ireland has been cancelled”.

Ah yeah didn't think of that.

I just listened back to the Serena debate. Poor performance by Marian mckeown there. Of course cal being the old pro that he is just said there was truth to both sides. Also I'd take martina Navratilovas word over Marian mckeown on tennis any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone hear the 2 women doing the TV slot today?

One was definitely Jennifer Gannon, no idea who the other was.

A mention or two or "great to see a TV show with 2 main characters being strong women" (Killing Eve) and of course the hypocritical "the best thing about Poldark is the fella getting his top off".

Imagine a man had said such a thing about a female actor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

A mention or two or "great to see a TV show with 2 main characters being strong women" (Killing Eve) and of course the hypocritical "the best thing about Poldark is the fella getting his top off".

Irony would not be a word they'd be familiar with I'd imagine.

Finally got to listen to the McKeown take on the Williams incident. Whilst I'd normally be more on her side than that of Cal Thomas she lost a lot of credibility on this one. I assume she's so used to Matt agreeing with her and disagreeing with Cal that she was just shocked into digging a bigger hole for herself, and kept digging she did. She made a fool of herself on this one.

exactly what i thought, that gannon one sickens my hole, always banging on about the objectification of women then turns around and says the only reason she watches poldark is to look at him semi naked.....imagine her reaction if matt had said he only watches house of cards to see robyn wright get her baps out....some joke

the tv review should be a man and a woman not two feminists

exactly what i thought, that gannon one sickens my hole, always banging on about the objectification of women then turns around and says the only reason she watches poldark is to look at him semi naked.....imagine her reaction if matt had said he only watches house of cards to see robyn wright get her baps out....some joke

the tv review should be a man and a woman not two feminists

Have they gotten around to watching The Wire or Breakimg Bad yet or are they too busy rewatching Love Island?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Interesting to see Marion McKeown brought to task on another total brain fart (if you can call it that). A few weeks ago, she was saying you can't be racist against white people.

I am not particularly interested in the terminology because it's always inaccurate but there is definitely a certain cohort of the media, including online, who are completely fudging their own agendas to the extent that it's becoming quite dangerous.

The Serena Williams incident is a microcosm of the greater issues at play but it's representative. All of the rules are being bent and forced out of shape, from social interactions, to sports regulation, to criminal laws.

While there's nothing wrong with a status quo shift and I'm not attacking the right to seek such a shift, the means by which that is achieved has to be fair but what we are seeing is totally unfair and unjust in more and more cases.

Interesting to see Marion McKeown brought to task on another total brain fart (if you can call it that). A few weeks ago, she was saying you can't be racist against white people.

I am not particularly interested in the terminology because it's always inaccurate but there is definitely a certain cohort of the media, including online, who are completely fudging their own agendas to the extent that it's becoming quite dangerous.

The Serena Williams incident is a microcosm of the greater issues at play but it's representative. All of the rules are being bent and forced out of shape, from social interactions, to sports regulation, to criminal laws.

While there's nothing wrong with a status quo shift and I'm not attacking the right to seek such a shift, the means by which that is achieved has to be fair but what we are seeing is totally unfair and unjust in more and more cases.

oh man that really got on my wick when she said blacks cant be racist against white people, like on what planet can that be a valid statement, thats like saying you cant say anything about people with glasses but people with glasses can say what they want to everyone else....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Have they gotten around to watching The Wire or Breakimg Bad yet or are they too busy rewatching Love Island?

Is the wire as good as B.B.? Only on episode 2 of it. Loved B.B.

Someone who prioritises watching Love Island over the many decent TV shows that are out there has no business being a TV critic. It's little more than showbiz gossip and should be treated as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

MrMac84 wrote: »

The Wire is really, really good. I don't want to build it up too much because when you do that people expect too much going into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Synode wrote: »
    The Wire is really, really good. I don't want to build it up too much because when you do that people expect too much going into it

Cheers thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Someone who prioritises watching Love Island over the many decent TV shows that are out there has no business being a TV critic. It's little more than showbiz gossip and should be treated as such.

She’s a sjw version of Paula mcsweeney

Have you ever seen her Twitter account? It makes Donald Trump's tweets look like high class literature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What was with bringing in some elderly english crackpot to make excuses for Landlords?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Have you ever seen her Twitter account? It makes Donald Trump's tweets look like high class literature.

It's some pretty dumb s**t alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tomasflaherty

Am I the only one that gets annoyed at Dempseys inabilty to play songs in their entirety?? He talks over the start and end of them, even cutting them off in mid flow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

MrMac84 wrote: »

Yes. Starts off great, fades off towards season 3 but then arcs back up and finishes brilliantly. Pro tip: watch with the subtitles on!

Advertisement