Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

I had to laugh to myself, i heard an advert on today fm where they are flogging a radio presenting course - given by alison curtis and fergus darcy!!!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I had to laugh to myself, i heard an advert on today fm where they are flogging a radio presenting course - given by alison curtis and fergus darcy!!!!!

Where she tells you that she's going to show you how to do great interviews? Seriously? I thought Canadians didn't do sarcasm.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

That's been running for a good few years now. You'd wonder hom many suckers do it

Synode wrote: »
    That's been running for a good few years now. You'd wonder hom many suckers do it

past pupils include:

Paula McSweeney
    Alison Curtis (exchange student)
    Fergus Darcy
    Al Porter (expelled for inappropriate behavior)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

past pupils include:

Paula McSweeney
    Alison Curtis (exchange student)
    Fergus Darcy
    Al Porter (expelled for inappropriate behavior)

Don't forget Muireann O'Connell.

• Advertisement

Don't forget Muireann O'Connell.

star pupil, went on to complete the tv3 higher diploma in commercial tv presenting with emphasis on announcing commercial breaks. this course is given by Martin King and Sammy Sausages. The course was revamped this term and accredited by Virgin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

"Watch what I do. Then don't do that!"

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Just seeing that Joe Donnelly is leaving Today FM (and radio altogether) to do marketing for a microbrewery called Rascals Brewing.

Just seeing that Joe Donnelly is leaving Today FM (and radio altogether) to do marketing for a microbrewery called Rascals Brewing.

I really couldn't listen to him at all. But by all accounts he's a nice guy. Wish him all the best

I really couldn't listen to him at all. But by all accounts he's a nice guy. Wish him all the best

I heard him on one day filling in for D&D and thought it was Gerry Daly, i thoyght to myself why the eff is a celebrity gardener filling in on todayfm?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Joe Donnelly is a hero.

Joe Donnelly is a hero.

wonder why he is leaving and going in a completely different direction? i think hes a smart guy and realised that theres no real future any longer for people over the age of mid 40's especially in todayfm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

There isn't much of a future for most 40 something DJs on national radio. If you think about it, most of the ones who've lasted the distance are the big names. For most folk, the next step is a smaller station. Joe's voice is an acquired taste so that'd go against him too.

The station is at its most interesting off-peak and at weekends. I can see that being eroded next, now that the powers that be gave ruined the weekday daytime schedule. He's right to have left.

IIRC, he used to talk about his mates who had a pub/brewery so I'd say he's gone off to work with his mates instead of what I imagine is a pretty shítty atmosphere in Marconi House, particularly if you have any real musical taste.

Plus, radio is a sinking ship in general whereas selling drinks to the Irish is fairly much shooting fish in a barrel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Joe Donnelly is going??? TF for that. He was fairly senior there too, wasn't he?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

There isn't much of a future for most 40 something DJs on national radio. If you think about it, most of the ones who've lasted the distance are the big names. For most folk, the next step is a smaller station. Joe's voice is an acquired taste so that'd go against him too.

Never understood this particular criticism of him. It took me a good while to warm to him on TXFM but one thing I instantly liked was that his voice/accent was authentically his. Maybe I have some sort of internal fellow-culchie homing beacon :o

IIRC, he used to talk about his mates who had a pub/brewery so I'd say he's gone off to work with his mates instead of what I imagine is a pretty shítty atmosphere in Marconi House, particularly if you have any real musical taste.

Plus, radio is a sinking ship in general whereas selling drinks to the Irish is fairly much shooting fish in a barrel.

radio certainly isnt the job it used to be, its a bit like being an air hostess, once highly thought of but with the passing of time radio presenting isnt much better thought of than calling bingo

no doubt joe donnelly is thinking about his future and its not in radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Never understood this particular criticism of him. It took me a good while to warm to him on TXFM but one thing I instantly liked was that his voice/accent was authentically his. Maybe I have some sort of internal fellow-culchie homing beacon :o

Really liked his TX show. One day he read out a text where someone was surprised that they won the TX FM merch he was always going, they thought he was being sarcastic then others text in saying the same and someone said that Joe has one of those voices that always sounds sarcastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Yes. Starts off great, fades off towards season 3 but then arcs back up and finishes brilliantly. Pro tip: watch with the subtitles on!

Why so because?the subtitles I mean

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Why so because?

It can be difficult to understand some of the characters (especially the street hoods) because of their accents. I only switched it on from time to time when I couldn't understand something that I thought was important

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

It can be difficult to understand some of the characters (especially the street hoods) because of their accents. I only switched it on from time to time when I couldn't understand something that I thought was important

Lovely! Will do lads thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

Dear god, help me! Im in a&e with one of my kids and the hospital has alison curtis on!

Not sure what is worse, her voice or the smell of vomit!!!!

Dear god, help me! Im in a&e with one of my kids and the hospital has alison curtis on!

I'd be going with the voice.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was anyone dancing around the A&E?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

How many times did she mention Canada?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was anyone dancing around the A&E?

they only do that around their kitchens, with their kids fyi

nice_guy80 wrote: »

now that you say it, shes always reading out texts from mothers with kids dancing around their kitchens, does anybody actually do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

nice_guy80 wrote: »

now that you say it, shes always reading out texts from mothers with kids dancing around their kitchens, does anybody actually do that?
    I think the Ray Darcy show started this particular trend

That and 6ft 5 truckers pulled in to lay bys crying after a sad segment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As much as TodayFM tends to grate on me sometimes, it does get more of my listening hours this week as RTE go into full Ploughing Championships Overkill.

Every show, every hour, special this, special that..ploughing mad they are!

• Advertisement

i thought D&D on about the ploughing this morning was very funny

Advertisement