Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

I've been away for two weeks
    Just saw a post on Facebook about what to call a tweezers.
    This was apparently the topic of the day on MOC show earlier this eewk.
    Mother of divine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I know...it’s really awful. There was another day and she was waffling on about putting rubbish into other people’s wheelie bins! To think this is what she and the likes of her(Fergal Darcy!!) get up for in the mornings and go to work for!! I’d be mortified to say that’s my job-talking about such absolute garbage.
    dragonfly! wrote: »
    I've been away for two weeks
    Just saw a post on Facebook about what to call a tweezers.
    This was apparently the topic of the day on MOC show earlier this eewk.
    Mother of divine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

johnire wrote: »
    I know...it’s really awful. There was another day and she was waffling on about putting rubbish into other people’s wheelie bins! To think this is what she and the likes of her(Fergal Darcy!!) get up for in the mornings and go to work for!! I’d be mortified to say that’s my job-talking about such absolute garbage.

Face it, we'd all love to have their jobs.

Paula McSweeney does it too on the Early Breakfast Show.
    "today we are talking about ......." (insert totally random nonsense here: sweets you miss, wacky things you did at a wedding, embarrassing things to happen you in public etc etc)

No, you're talking about them....just talk less and play more music!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

NIMAN wrote: »
    Face it, we'd all love to have their jobs.

Paula McSweeney does it too on the Early Breakfast Show.
    "today we are talking about ......." (insert totally random nonsense here: sweets you miss, wacky things you did at a wedding, embarrassing things to happen you in public etc etc)

No, you're talking about them....just talk less and play more music!

ah man, i can never get the promo ads they run for her, "today at stupid o clock we talked about what you did when you were seven and a half and what we all really think of clothes pegs.... tune in tomorrow from stupid o clock where we will be talking about more of the same guff"

Update from the Muireann O Connell show on twitter:

@MuireannO_C is chatting to Shauna from The Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show about how she repeatedly loses her make up bag

The world has hit a new low

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

@MuireannO_C is chatting to Shauna from The Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show about how she repeatedly loses her make up bag

Bring back Porter. Some of ye will no doubt disagree with me but he actually is entertaining and funny. And I do not believe the allegations made against him are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Bring back Porter. Some of ye will no doubt disagree with me but he actually is entertaining and funny. And I do not believe the allegations made against him are true.

Wow, just wow.

ah now i wouldnt go that far, thats like setting your hand on fire then trying to quench it by putting it in petrol...

he was outed as a sex pest and couldnt control himself, but that aside, he was never cut out for radio, actually he was dreadful.....nanny pat and disco or cisco.... good lord, when i think back i shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I am still convinced the inane "banter" is station policy and that it doesn't matter who's on the air. It's a moronic formula devised by the powers that be. The ones who are dumbing the station down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

They're pushing the type of people who in the past listened to Today FM all day long towards Newstalk. And positioning Today FM for the younger audience. I hate seeing it myself but in reality it probably makes sense from a business point of view

• Advertisement

Yes but Newstalk doesn't have music. What about people who don't want chatter all day long?

Yes but Newstalk doesn't have music. What about people who don't want chatter all day long?

Yep, I like a few songs myself. These days I listen to D&D then switch to Newstalk or Spotify, depending on my mood.

I think it's more that they've decided they don't want anyone over 30 listening and they can go elsewhere for their music. Which, depending on where you live in Ireland, can be OK or horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

In fairness Mikey, your posts are nothing if not entertaining. That post alone made me laugh more than anything Porter has ever said or done.

On the case(s), wow, where to start? I'd imagine a whole slew of people made up stories to get him because they were jealous. And he admitted being in the wrong. And his employers (TV3 and Tpday FM) accepted his "resignation" because they wanted rid of him I suppose? But hey, in your eyes, he's a comic genius so that's ok I guess?

She should be on Newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

One of the journal's SJWs was in for Matt again today. She made a right balls up of the intro to the show so I switched on that alone. Anyone stick around for the Feminazi Love Island TV Slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

20 years of Today FM, and the last of those years has undone almost everything good about the station.

paul collins fairly lost the run of himself this morning, he was like a young lad attending his first 21st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭prunudo

One of the journal's SJWs was in for Matt again today. She made a right balls up of the intro to the show so I switched on that alone. Anyone stick around for the Feminazi Love Island TV Slot?

Its like ty in there at the moment. Who is the shouty replacement for Paula this week. Following the policy of text in about your 'insert todays topic' mad exciting experiences.

paul collins fairly lost the run of himself this morning, he was like a young lad attending his first 21st

Yeah the state of him. I enjoyed the celebrations though. Was nice hearing the old clips of Dempsey

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    Yeah the state of him. I enjoyed the celebrations though. Was nice hearing the old clips of Dempsey

indeed, it was very nice, gas when you look back and it made the 6 o clock news, ian dempsey moves from RTE to an Independent station, it all worked out very well, but you would fear for the way its now going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah Dempsey's show was really good this morning. Nice bit of nostalgia, remembering when the station was actually good!

Iano is a bit of a legend really... 20 years in that slot and 10-12 years before that doing it on 2FM. He's one of the last old school guys left on daytime radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

19 years with 2FM & 20 years with Today Fm . . Fair play ! Can't see many these days having that sort of career, really enjoyed this morning's show on the way into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yeah Dempsey's show was really good this morning. Nice bit of nostalgia, remembering when the station was actually good!

Iano is a bit of a legend really... 20 years in that slot and 10-12 years before that doing it on 2FM. He's one of the last old school guys left on daytime radio.

Comes across as a bit of an airhead who hasn't a clue what's going on a lot of the time though.

jvan wrote: »
    Its like ty in there at the moment. Who is the shouty replacement for Paula this week. Following the policy of text in about your 'insert todays topic' mad exciting experiences.

Tara Harrison

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Comes across as a bit of an airhead who hasn't a clue what's going on a lot of the time though.

yea i do have to agree, he doesnt seem to have any awareness of whats going on in the world and subsequently doesnt have an opinion on anything, i'd say his life revolves around going to work in the middle of the night, coming home in the middle of the day and going for a big snooze then going to some function of sorts with celebrities from the 80's like brush shields....

He does come across as a nice guy though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭prunudo

There's plenty more in the station that I'd class as airhead before Ian.

fergus darcy below at trip to tipp revisited, school days nostalgia overload i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think that's harsh. 20 years at the top of his game... if that's an airhead, I'll have some of that please. Eventually he'll be replaced by some Alison Curtis / Ferg D'Arcy clone and we'll be longing for Ian to come back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

A mealy-mouthed post

Advertisement