Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Update from the Muireann O Connell show on twitter:

@MuireannO_C is chatting to Shauna from The Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show about how she repeatedly loses her make up bag

The world has hit a new low

Bring back Porter. Some of ye will no doubt disagree with me but he actually is entertaining and funny. And I do not believe the allegations made against him are true.

See this the thing. A few weeks back you made out that you were happy for him to go by saying 'it nearly makes me miss him'

You were an Al Porter fan from the off. You never wanted him to go. Give up the charade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Fair play to Ian being there 20 years
    I mean Im in my job a year and im sick of it :)
    Lovely to hear some of the older clips this morning but was there any need to half stay with the usual format and half Happy Birthday Stuff?
    Like either have these 3 words callers (as an example) or just forget about it and have the slot with the well wishers. Not this guise of we will have it now malarky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

jvan wrote: »
    There's plenty more in the station that I'd class as airhead before Ian.

Cough Louise, Cough Fergal, Cough Paula, cough Susan Keogh

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

yea i do have to agree, he doesnt seem to have any awareness of whats going on in the world and subsequently doesnt have an opinion on anything, i'd say his life revolves around going to work in the middle of the night, coming home in the middle of the day and going for a big snooze then going to some function of sorts with celebrities from the 80's like brush shields....

He does come across as a nice guy though
    Perfectly describes Larry gogan (no opinion on anything) so if that's any indicator, Ian could have another two decades left in him on radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Cough Louise, Cough Fergal, Cough Paula, cough Susan Keogh

Cough Muireann. She ties with Fergal as the worst

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Ian was on with Matt Cooper this evening.

One interesting bit is he admitted that he wasn’t one bit happy with the changes Today FM management started making in the last 2-3 years. Initially at least, he said he consciously didn’t row in with it. But he’s changed his mind since, thinking “they must know what they are doing, the listenership figures are on the up” - or at least that’s what he says....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Comes across as a bit of an airhead who hasn't a clue what's going on a lot of the time though.

I suspect he is sharper in real life than his On Air easy going persona would indicate. He knows his style of Breakfast Show isn't the place for sharp wit and opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Cooper practically performed fellatio on Dempsey this evening as they celebrated each other, Today FM, Today FM staff, TV3/Virgin Media, etc. etc.

All that was missing was this:

And remember kids, questions are the No. 1 enemy of progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I know this is meant to be a whingefest thread but I loved Larissa critique of Hozier. That was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

pjohnson wrote: »
    I know this is meant to be a whingefest thread but I loved Larissa critique of Hozier. That was great.

What was said?

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »

Speaking of Hozier... I can't decide whether I prefer Nina Cried Power or the new Nina Nesbitt song. NN's new single is extremely catchy

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Alison Curtis has just read out the most Alison Curtis text ever.

'I am 32 weeks pregnant and dancing around the kitchen with my son, Eoin. Love the show Alison.'

This text is pretty much a version of every text ever sent in to that godforsaken show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

'I am 32 weeks pregnant and dancing around the kitchen with my son, Eoin. Love the show Alison.'

This text is pretty much a version of every text ever sent in to that godforsaken show.

Ciara Kelly is another great one for reading out texts that I'm 100% positive are absolutely genuine and not made up :rolleyes: namedropping herself and saying how amazeballs the show is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Alison never reads out my texts where I go into great detail about vomiting into houseplants, and cutting off my own ears when I hear her whiney, grating voice on the radio. Weird. I send it every week.......:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Whiterebel....you’ve just made my day when I read this!!! That’s hilarious...thank you !!!!!
    whiterebel wrote: »
    Alison never reads out my texts where I go into great detail about vomiting into houseplants, and cutting off my own ears when I hear her whiney, grating voice on the radio. Weird. I send it every week.......:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yeah Dempsey's show was really good this morning. Nice bit of nostalgia, remembering when the station was actually good!

Iano is a bit of a legend really... 20 years in that slot and 10-12 years before that doing it on 2FM. He's one of the last old school guys left on daytime radio.
    I found the whole thing a bit bittersweet - remembering the halcyon days of when Today FM first arrived as a fresh, innovative, upstart to compete with RTE, and now we are left lamenting what it has become...It was good while it lasted I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Is the Sunday Business Show gone? Hadnt tuned in in a few months, tuned in this morning, and whiney alison bloody curtis, eh, no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is the Sunday Business Show gone? Hadnt tuned in in a few months, tuned in this morning, and whiney alison bloody curtis, eh, no thanks

Yeah its gone, doesnt fit the narrative anymore

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yeah, back a few pages there's a discussion about it. Ó Móráin had a bit of a go at the station as a parting shot. Iirc, he was given something like 6 day's notice. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

The producer was on holidays when the show was canned. He had quite the monologue at the end of the show.

As far as I know, they are planning to turn the show into a podcast.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

Amazing how everybody seems to spend their saturday mornings dancing around the kitchen, i wonder if i looked into random homes in suburbia of a saturday morning would i see mums and dads and kids all dancing around the kitchen with alison curtis' show playing in the background...... OR would it be mayhem trying to get kids loaded up to go play soccer/ gaa/swimming/dancing etc, rushing to get breakfast sorted, get a wash on, clean the house, no no, those things can wait, lets all dance around the kitchen.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

retalivity wrote: »
    Yeah its gone, doesnt fit the narrative anymore

so if the sunday business show doesnt fit the narrative anymore, where does that leave the last word? i can never understand how they have 2 and a half hours of fergus darcy and his mindless juvenile sh1te and then a current affairs program?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭nc6000

so if the sunday business show doesnt fit the narrative anymore, where does that leave the last word? i can never understand how they have 2 and a half hours of fergus darcy and his mindless juvenile sh1te and then a current affairs program?

Isn't it part of the license that they need a certain number of hours which are non-music shows? The Last Word and the football on Saturday help them meet this.

Awkward how they played the ad for the Metallica gig today before it was announced... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Has anyone heard the advert for the TodayFM school that is coming up.

Where some of their staff are giving lessons in how to do it right on the radio.

You wouldn't believe who says that being a great interviewer is a skill and that they will teach you how to do it?

Alison Curtis!!!!

I sh1t you not.

So she's an expert radio interviewer is she?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I heard the main reason Ray D'Arcy left Today FM was that the boss asked him to do the Today FM School of Radio Presenting. Ray said he didnt have time to give the course. And the boss said, No we want to you to take the course.

Well there was that and the €500k tax payer funded salary, job for life and job for his wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

Have you noticed in that school of radio ad that they refer to themselves as "content creators" rather than presenters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

NIMAN wrote: »
    Has anyone heard the advert for the TodayFM school that is coming up.

Where some of their staff are giving lessons in how to do it right on the radio.

You wouldn't believe who says that being a great interviewer is a skill and that they will teach you how to do it?

Alison Curtis!!!!

I sh1t you not.

So she's an expert radio interviewer is she?

Yep, someone else called this out a couple of pages back on this thread!

Lesson 1:
    - Dance around the kitchen.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yep, someone else called this out a couple of pages back on this thread!

Lesson 1:
    - Dance around the kitchen.

I nearly burst out laughing in the office at this :D

Who is in for Ferg today?
    I am just back from lunch...

• Advertisement

dragonfly! wrote: »
    I nearly burst out laughing in the office at this :D

Who is in for Ferg today?
    I am just back from lunch...

Gee, it's a good thing Ferg isn't on.