Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

In the Matt Cooper "Aren't we all amazing here at Today FM" interview/puff piece with Ian Dempsey last week Dempsey revealed that Curtis was Willie O'Reilly's PA when he worked at Today FM. And that's how she got her start.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

In the Matt Cooper "Aren't we all amazing here at Today FM" interview/puff piece with Ian Dempsey last week Dempsey revealed that Curtis was Willie O'Reilly's PA when he worked at Today FM. And that's how she got her start.......

Didn't she come from Phantom FM (?) and had some kind of rep as an Indie DJ? Early on she also presented a more alternative / indie music show late on Sunday evenings I think.

She also did some of the voices for Gift Grub way back.

And somehow, perhaps by accident, she forged this niche for herself as a "mammy" DJ, dancing around the kitchen. I have a feeling that it started off as a fairly inoffensive vanilla weekend morning show and evolved into the creche-radio she does today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Didn't she come from Phantom FM (?) and had some kind of rep as an Indie DJ? Early on she also presented a more alternative / indie music show late on Sunday evenings I think.

And somehow, perhaps by accident, she forged this niche for herself as a "mammy" DJ, dancing around the kitchen. I have a feeling that it started off as a fairly inoffensive vanilla weekend morning show and evolved into the creche-radio she does today.

Maybe, I haven't followed her career that closely, but what I posted was mentioned in the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Alison Curtis was involved with Today FM briefly in the late '90s AFAIK (possibly in PA role, as in production assistant!), before going to Phantom when it was a pirate. She came back to Today FM in 2003 when Phantom closed down as a pirate. It was during this period in the '00s that she presented The Last Splash (the indie show). Between 2011 and 2012, Alison rejoined the now legal Phantom, which was by this stage under the Communicorp umbrella. For a good portion of that period, she was on maternity leave. She then rejoined Today FM and has been there ever since with her weekend shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭kksaints

Alison Curtis was involved with Today FM briefly in the late '90s AFAIK (possibly in PA role, as in production assistant!), before going to Phantom when it was a pirate. She came back to Today FM in 2003 when Phantom closed down as a pirate. It was during this period in the '00s that she presented The Last Splash (the indie show). Between 2011 and 2012, Alison rejoined the now legal Phantom, which was by this stage under the Communicorp umbrella. For a good portion of that period, she was on maternity leave. She then rejoined Today FM and has been there ever since with her weekend shows.

Vaguely remember this. It used to be quite good I think. She certainly wasn't as annoying back then as she is now on the morning shows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Gee, it's a good thing Ferg isn't on.

I've been listening to Declan pierce on Saturday evenings and Sunday afternoons and it had me thinking he would be a great replacement for Ferg if he was ever to go..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭prunudo

I've been listening to Declan pierce on Saturday evenings and Sunday afternoons and it had me thinking he would be a great replacement for Ferg if he was ever to go..

I've said it before but he doesn't get the recognition he deserves. He is professional in what he does, no messing, just gets on playing the music and putting good links together. He's been around radio most of his life, since the mid 90s on Pulse and seems to know his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

But would he have to stick to the script if they moved him? Endless talk of his schooldays etc?

jvan wrote: »
    I've said it before but he doesn't get the recognition he deserves. He is professional in what he does, no messing, just gets on playing the music and putting good links together. He's been around radio most of his life, since the mid 90s on Pulse and seems to know his stuff.

I understand that Declan Pierce also did a stint with Coast FM around the mid '90s.

By the way, guess who stood in for Alison Curtis on Phantom when she was on maternity leave from the second half of 2011 to the first half of 2012? None other than Muireean O'Connell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Has he been on Todayfm long?,i only recently heard his block rockin beats show on Saturday evening,he seems like a really nice guy who knows his music which is refreshing to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

She was whinging why she didn’t get the Anton slot when she covered him in the times implying sexism .... well no one wants to hear a nasally bore whose only two things she talks on is her twitter account and kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭prunudo

Has he been on Todayfm long?,i only recently heard his block rockin beats show on Saturday evening,he seems like a really nice guy who knows his music which is refreshing to hear.

Probably a year or maybe more, he's been on 2fm and 104fm over the years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Who was the American lady on 2fm doing like an indie show around the same time Alison was doing it on today fm?

I always got those two mixed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

redbuck wrote: »
    Who was the American lady on 2fm doing like an indie show around the same time Alison was doing it on today fm?

Jenny Huston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jenny Huston

Yeah as Mikey said it was Jenny Huston and she wasn't american she was Canadian.

Jenny Huston

Whatever became of her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think underneath it all Alison Curtis is a good DJ. That is proven by her previous shows, but I think she has tailored her weekend shows to a niche audience and it clearly works. I mean her shows are on Saturday and Sunday mornings. That is family time and while it probably isn't many peoples cup of tea so to speak she is clearly capitalising on her audience.

1. Declan Pierce:
    Probably a year or maybe more, he's been on 2fm and 104fm over the years too.

Declan was also with 98FM and 4FM.

2. Alison Curtis and Jenny Huston:

Jenny Huston
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah as Mikey said it was Jenny Huston and she wasn't american she was Canadian.
    Whatever became of her?

Jenny Huston was with Phantom the pirate around the same time as Alison Curtis. The two Canadians knew each other at Phantom and were among the star deejays. Before Phantom, Jenny had done some broadcasting with Radio Kilkenny in its community radio mode.

As regards what happened to Jenny Huston, some time after leaving 2FM she became a jewellery designer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

statto25 wrote: »
    Have you noticed in that school of radio ad that they refer to themselves as "content creators" rather than presenters.

Just heard the ad there. "Content creators"...f*cking hell....this is the way the world has gone..."influencers" "content creators" etc etc...what a load of sh*te. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

And the content they create is absolute rot.
    Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Just heard the ad there. "Content creators"...f*cking hell....this is the way the world has gone..."influencers" "content creators" etc etc...what a load of sh*te. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

If Fergus Darcy is a "content creator" then i'm a rocket scientist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'm pretty certain the content creator part of the advert is a recent addition. No doubt suggested by some morkeshing type arsehole to make the ad more relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I rarely listen to Today FM during weekdays anymore but I listen to Classic 9 @ 11, Premier League Live, Declan Pierce, Kelly Ann Byrne and Eds Songs of Praise at the weekend.

Its the only shows on the station where you are guaranteed not to hear Ed Sheeran, Kodaline, Picture That and DJs trying to laugh at each others jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

BPKS wrote: »
    I rarely listen to Today FM during weekdays anymore but I listen to Classic 9 @ 11, Premier League Live, Declan Pierce, Kelly Ann Byrne and Eds Songs of Praise at the weekend.

Its the only shows on the station where you are guaranteed not to hear Ed Sheeran, Kodaline, Picture That and DJs trying to laugh at each others jokes.

Declan has two shows now I believe? One on Saturdays and one on Sundays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

BPKS wrote: »
    Declan Pierce, Kelly Ann Byrne and Eds Songs of Praise.

All brilliant, Kelly Anne in particular is a huge asset to Today FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

10 years ago you had Ian Dempsey, Ray D'Arcy, Ray Foley & Tony Fenton from 7am-4:30pm

4 totally different shows.......Ray D'Arcy & Tony Fenton played lots of songs that were not in the charts too!

Why cant they mix it up a bit now!

All brilliant, Kelly Anne in particular is a huge asset to Today FM.

Kelly-Anne Byrne is another ex-Phantom presenter except that she joined Phantom some time after Alison and Muireann had both left. In her case, she made the transition to its relaunch as TXFM and was there on its last broadcast. By that stage, Kelly-Anne already had her programme on Today FM.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

gamecube wrote: »
    10 years ago you had Ian Dempsey, Ray D'Arcy, Ray Foley & Tony Fenton from 7am-4:30pm

4 totally different shows.......Ray D'Arcy & Tony Fenton played lots of songs that were not in the charts too!

Why cant they mix it up a bit now!

That lineup was literally the kings of radio!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Loughc wrote: »
    That lineup was literally the kings of radio!

Apart from Foley, who is an immature idiot.

EDIT: What I meant was, Ray is the best.

• Advertisement

Apart from Foley, who is an immature idiot.

He was good at that though, he was actually a great antidote to the more serious tones of Darcy right before him.

Advertisement