Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Faugheen wrote: »
    You weren't being mocked for liking her.

You were being mocked because you absolutely do not listen to anything else other than your own opinion. You keep saying that you think certain things will happen when they won't, and you never listen and you just keep beating that exact same drum until someone tells you again. Rinse and repeat.

That's why people say you're trolling. This isn't anything to do with whether you like or dislike someone, it's just bringing up your agenda with every single post and it's irritating and infuriating because you present your posts as a matter of fact then when challenged you hide under the 'it's only my opinion' card or you don't even respond at all.

I remember you saying 'what experience does Muireann have to Dara Quilty' when she got the lunchtime gig. How on Earth are people going to take you seriously when you make a flippant remark like that when a radio anorak such as yourself pretends that Muireann has done **** all relative to DQ? I know you don't like her but Jesus.

Another one was asking 'how has Fergal D'Arcy managed to stay on national radio for 3 years?' When simple research suggests that, regardless of your opinions of him, he has always been popular with listeners regardless of what slot he is doing. Again, you know this, but you'd rather make a flippant remark to get a reaction.

This can also be seen when you were saying Muireann 'almost makes you miss Porter' when you were always an Al Porter fan but you played this charade of not liking him knowing that you've had disagreements with people about liking him. Again, nobody is saying you weren't allowed to like Porter but when you pretend you didn't to have a pop at Muireann, people remembered, pulled you up and, surprise surprise, you got your reaction and went hiding again.

And then there was the remark about more music being played on The Last Word than Muireann's show when you only listened to Muireann's show once. You got absolutely slated for that and rightly so because it was one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever seen on this forum and there's a lot of them.

So no, this isn't anything to do with you liking Laura Whitmore, it's you not accepting that your wild theories just aren't going to happen anytime soon and you go hiding when you make an outrageous statement because you've gotten the reaction you wanted. Believe it or not it pisses people off.

You can stop playing the victim now.

The Muireann/Last Word comment was an exaggeration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Faugheen, I was being mocked on here for liking her, so I feel like I can't like her anymore.

Great to see you at least have the courage of your own convictions and the ability to form independent thoughts without being influenced by others.

:rolleyes:

Great to see you at least have the courage of your own convictions and the ability to form independent thoughts without being influenced by others.

:rolleyes:

Anyway... Ian Dempsey is the only really listenable DJ on Today FM daytimes now.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You weren't being mocked for liking her.

You were being mocked because you absolutely do not listen to anything else other than your own opinion. You keep saying that you think certain things will happen when they won't, and you never listen and you just keep beating that exact same drum until someone tells you again. Rinse and repeat.

That's why people say you're trolling. This isn't anything to do with whether you like or dislike someone, it's just bringing up your agenda with every single post and it's irritating and infuriating because you present your posts as a matter of fact then when challenged you hide under the 'it's only my opinion' card or you don't even respond at all.

I remember you saying 'what experience does Muireann have to Dara Quilty' when she got the lunchtime gig. How on Earth are people going to take you seriously when you make a flippant remark like that when a radio anorak such as yourself pretends that Muireann has done **** all relative to DQ? I know you don't like her but Jesus.

Another one was asking 'how has Fergal D'Arcy managed to stay on national radio for 3 years?' When simple research suggests that, regardless of your opinions of him, he has always been popular with listeners regardless of what slot he is doing. Again, you know this, but you'd rather make a flippant remark to get a reaction.

This can also be seen when you were saying Muireann 'almost makes you miss Porter' when you were always an Al Porter fan but you played this charade of not liking him knowing that you've had disagreements with people about liking him. Again, nobody is saying you weren't allowed to like Porter but when you pretend you didn't to have a pop at Muireann, people remembered, pulled you up and, surprise surprise, you got your reaction and went hiding again.

And then there was the remark about more music being played on The Last Word than Muireann's show when you only listened to Muireann's show once. You got absolutely slated for that and rightly so because it was one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever seen on this forum and there's a lot of them.

So no, this isn't anything to do with you liking Laura Whitmore, it's you not accepting that your wild theories just aren't going to happen anytime soon and you go hiding when you make an outrageous statement because you've gotten the reaction you wanted. Believe it or not it pisses people off.

You can stop playing the victim now.

The Muireann/Last Word comment was an exaggeration.

So you have absolutely nothing else to say regarding the rest of my post?

This is exactly my point. I told you how it was and all you did was pick out the one comment you could argue and ignore everything else.

You're running away from people who call you out on your nonsense on purpose because you got your reaction. This is why people call you a troll.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Today FM is practically unlistenable now.

Don’t listen to it so. Simples.

• Advertisement

So you have absolutely nothing else to say regarding the rest of my post?

This is exactly my point. I told you how it was and all you did was pick out the one comment you could argue and ignore everything else.

You're running away from people who call you out on your nonsense on purpose because you got your reaction. This is why people call you a troll.
    I am entitled to like who I like and not like who I don't.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Admin: Unfortunately, I have to close this thread to allow the mods the time to review the last couple of pages but it is important to say none of you should be particularly proud of yourselves for the way this has played out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod Note

ok reopening the thread, zero tolerance for bullsh1t from this point forward, any trolling, sniping, off topic chats or bs are going to be 1 week bans as a starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Mondo from Dublin

The whole narrative of this thread is "sure wasn't Today Fm great in 2005"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

The whole narrative of this thread is "sure wasn't Today Fm great in 2005"

And???

• Advertisement

And???

It really wasn't, you like most boards.ie posters just got older .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

MOC has said "Lovely" three times since her show started 4 minutes ago....
    Considering the news has been on and there is a song playing now thats quite an achievement

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Surely everyone got older. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

The station has transitioned from a talk/not as popular music station to something akin to iRadio. Yes, the listeners from 2005 are obviously older but if the station had maintained its schedule rather than focusing on the millenial generation there wouldnt be as much complaining in here. There is a severe lack of a station that can deal with both serious and fun topics as well as playing music that doesn't appear the same artist in every song (well it sounds like that!) TodayFM is now catering for the "banter" culture where topics such as "things Irish People Do" "what this person did next will shock you" and "yer man is some craic and he did this" are the current flavour of the month.
    Its just inane chatter from 5am to 4.30 although Matts show is nearly there in terms of changing for the worse. Ed Smith and Paul McCloone are the only shining lights and Id worry they will be horsed out soon enough.

Bar Fergal Darcy who I wouldnt let DJ at a Teenage Disco and as Ive said before, I dont believe the DJs are the fault, its the management and the direction the "content creators" have been given. They have been told to be zany and manic and talk about the "popular" topics an exampled above. Muireann was seen as a shining light not too ling ago but as soon as she got the lunchtime job she was the worst ever. She didnt become a bad presenter overnight, she was given her job description and told to follow it.

Ive probably taken the bait here by replying in such a fashion but feck it. I enjoyed TodayFM and Im pissed off with the direction the station has gone in.

statto25 wrote: »
    The station has transitioned from a talk/not as popular music station to something akin to iRadio. Yes, the listeners from 2005 are obviously older but if the station had maintained its schedule rather than focusing on the millenial generation there wouldnt be as much complaining in here. There is a severe lack of a station that can deal with both serious and fun topics as well as playing music that doesn't appear the same artist in every song (well it sounds like that!) TodayFM is now catering for the "banter" culture where topics such as "things Irish People Do" "what this person did next will shock you" and "yer man is some craic and he did this" are the current flavour of the month.
    Its just inane chatter from 5am to 4.30 although Matts show is nearly there in terms of changing for the worse. Ed Smith and Paul McCloone are the only shining lights and Id worry they will be horsed out soon enough.

Bar Fergal Darcy who I wouldnt let DJ at a Teenage Disco and as Ive said before, I dont believe the DJs are the fault, its the management and the direction the "content creators" have been given. They have been told to be zany and manic and talk about the "popular" topics an exampled above. Muireann was seen as a shining light not too ling ago but as soon as she got the lunchtime job she was the worst ever. She didnt become a bad presenter overnight, she was given her job description and told to follow it.

Ive probably taken the bait here by replying in such a fashion but feck it. I enjoyed TodayFM and Im pissed off with the direction the station has gone in.

What kind of serious topics do you think today fm should be discussing 5am-5pm? Cancer and suicide like the awful latter days of Ray Darcy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

What kind of serious topics do you think today fm should be discussing 5am-5pm? Cancer and suicide like the awful latter days of Ray Darcy?

Is that all you picked from that whole paragraph? What about the repetitive, limited playlist, the "content creators" talking the same moronic bull spray all day and the dumbing down of The Last Word?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A new account....opened yesterday....hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

retalivity wrote: »
    A new account....opened yesterday....hmmm

Fergal D'arcy, is that you? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

Cancer and suicide are more prevalent than ever in todays society and should be talked about. Darcy in his last years with the station became a preacher of his own values rather than maintaining a status quo on topics. However topics recently on TodayFM have been "things irish people do", "what is going to happen to Ariana grandes pet pig" and "what muireanns neighbour does with his rubbish" and thats the tip of the iceberg. Absolute scutter topics done to death. Claire Beck is on for Ed Smith tonight and sounds like a professional DJ. She was on for Muireann a few weeks back and sounded like she was in transition year.

Cancer and suicide are more prevalent than ever in todays society and should be talked about. Darcy in his last years with the station became a preacher of his own values rather than maintaining a status quo on topics. However topics recently on TodayFM have been "things irish people do", "what is going to happen to Ariana grandes pet pig" and "what muireanns neighbour does with his rubbish" and thats the tip of the iceberg. Absolute scutter topics done to death. Claire Beck is on for Ed Smith tonight and sounds like a professional DJ. She was on for Muireann a few weeks back and sounded like she was in transition year.

Communicorp have another national radio station upstairs to talk about serious topics. Serious topics on a music radio station was actually a very uniquely Irish thing that kind of happened by accident with gerry Ryan, Darcy etc ... Indeed everyone seems to have forgotten that in the beginning the Ray Darcy show was all about light hearted fluff topics, believe it or not Darcy used to do prank phone calls to customer helplines in the early days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Muireann is using a topic that was on TV3AM this morning now about visitors calling to your house un-announced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭prunudo

threein99 wrote: »
    Muireann is using a topic that was on TV3AM this morning now about visitors calling to your house un-announced

Newstalk breakfast were also discussing it this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Yes and I think it was on Joe.ie yesterday. The content is absolutely dire on her show. Why does she have to keep saying her name and why does she repeat words and sentences nonstop?
    Fergal Darcy will no doubt be talking about some inane nonsense to do with growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

johnire wrote: »
    Yes and I think it was on Joe.ie yesterday. The content is absolutely dire on her show. Why does she have to keep saying her name and why does she repeat words and sentences nonstop?

Danny Baker tweeted a picture before that showed the list of instructions presenters were given for when they are on air (might have been Capital FM). They are told to say their own names, the name of the show, and name of the radio station at almost every juncture. It was awful reading to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

It actually is just becoming a radio version of Joe.ie …..shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Anyone know how you enter Dermot & Dave's competition to guess D is S? I keep missing it. Can you text in or is it just calls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Synode wrote: »
    Anyone know how you enter Dermot & Dave's competition to guess D is S? I keep missing it. Can you text in or is it just calls?

You text in your guess and they get back to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I always wonder do they just make the answers to those quizes up on the fly on whatever given day they want to give away the prize. They could theoretically pretend it's whatever they want and say it was that the whole time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I've just started listening to Today FM. I switched jobs and unfortunately the new place play it in the office all day. Now, I'm a hard rock type of person myself and I know that's not going to be catered to in an office environment, but surely they can do better than this? It seems like the same 5 or 6 songs on repeat all day and the conversation is mind numbingly dull. It seems like they are trying to cater to the 13-16 year old audience. I'm sure my niece would love it.

Obviously being last in the door I can't comment much on choice of station, but I do sneakily turn it down when they are all out for lunch!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I've just started listening to Today FM. I switched jobs and unfortunately the new place play it in the office all day. Now, I'm a hard rock type of person myself and I know that's not going to be catered to in an office environment, but surely they can do better than this? It seems like the same 5 or 6 songs on repeat all day and the conversation is mind numbingly dull. It seems like they are trying to cater to the 13-16 year old audience. I'm sure my niece would love it.

Obviously being last in the door I can't comment much on choice of station, but I do sneakily turn it down when they are all out for lunch!

Bring in headphones... only way to survive... my crowd are currently listening to Q102... :eek:

Advertisement