Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Jay Zee

I havent listened to Today FM in a few years. Noticed in the last few weeks that their playlist during the day (and overnights) is all new and recent music.

What happened to playing stuff from the 1960s to present day like they used to?
    When Willy O Reilly was running the station it had alot of oldies shows, Classic Gold Sunday, Car Wash, Friday night 80s, Nothing But 90s but since the communicorp suits took control it's whatever focus groups tell them to play

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

#bringbackanton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭prunudo

Does anyone agree that Today FM, with its daytime schedule being heavily talk driven (esp MOC and The Last Word), is turning into a more light-hearted Newstalk with music every now and then?

Possibly but I don't listen to the daytime schedule anymore. After 7pm its like a different station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭its_steve116

#bringbackanton

I second that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Who is this mad one thats on D+D shrieking with laughter down the phone?
    Havent a breeze what she is trying to say
    My head hurts with the racket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭giveitholly

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Who is this mad one thats on D+D shrieking with laughter down the phone?
    Havent a breeze what she is trying to say
    My head hurts with the racket

She was on before telling a story and they got her on again,couldn't understand a word she was saying,I'd say it was staged,went on forever and I thought they would never get rid of her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Has anyone else noticed how much Today FM presenters seem to be pushing that Miley Cyrus and Mark Ronson song? I don't mean in terms of number of plays as such, but more so how much they keep bigging it up every time they play it? As if they are trying to convince listeners that they're playing some ground breaking new music that's never been heard before. Really weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

I havent listened to Today FM in a few years. Noticed in the last few weeks that their playlist during the day (and overnights) is all new and recent music.

What happened to playing stuff from the 1960s to present day like they used to?

Noticed the other day when Phil Cawley played his competition (5 clips of music with the same word in it) and they were all old songs. So when finished he said he knew he would get in trouble but asked the caller which one of the competition songs did they want him to play in full.
    So they are very strict on the playlist - must be new songs...beggars belief why they can't play a mix :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,798 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

... and they are advertising their new round of courses at some Dublin college with their 'content creators' Alison Curtis, John Duggan and Fergal D'arcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Has anyone else noticed how much Today FM presenters seem to be pushing that Miley Cyrus and Mark Ronson song? I don't mean in terms of number of plays as such, but more so how much they keep bigging it up every time they play it? As if they are trying to convince listeners that they're playing some ground breaking new music that's never been heard before. Really weird.

They do this quite a bit with particular songs/bands. If you only ever listened to TodayFM you'd almost believe Picture This are the biggest and greatest band in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,445 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ed smyth back this eve with songs of praise, his first song of 2019? Wuthering heights by kate bush.

A diamond in a mountain of sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

The AA lady Esther was speaking so fast this morning that she sounded like she was going to break into a coughing fit. Ian even asked her if she was ok. The way she absolutely flakes through the traffic bulletin is dreadful. So unprofessional.

Then Kim on the news had an item about Ireland being the third highest user of fake tan in the world. :confused:

I like Ian but less and less his show. Not his fault though.

Not this whole fake laughing Quiz thing again....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭mikep

Muireann is outdoing herself today..

"what was the last text you sent"..Her show is the most inane drivel I have heard in years..:(

She is getting worse, which I didn't think was possible.

And forgetting what a spatula is called
    "The egg turning thingy"

Then again this is the same woman who tweeted over the weekend that she was too hungover to check out of her hotel so had to stay for another night :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

mikep wrote: »
    Muireann is outdoing herself today..

"what was the last text you sent"..Her show is the most inane drivel I have heard in years..:(

She is getting worse, which I didn't think was possible.

Just turned it on and heard her asking that, turned it off again immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

She’s absolutely painful to listen to.
    dragonfly! wrote: »
    And forgetting what a spatula is called
    "The egg turning thingy"

Then again this is the same woman who tweeted over the weekend that she was too hungover to check out of her hotel so had to stay for another night :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

johnire wrote: »

You could not listen to her?

I’d no choice in the matter. The radio was on in the background in a shop. I honestly couldn’t believe the drivel the woman was talking. To think she actually gets paid a wage for this rubbish!
    Loughc wrote: »
    You could not listen to her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭nc6000

I’d no choice in the matter. The radio was on in the background in a shop. I honestly couldn’t believe the drivel the woman was talking. To think she actually gets paid a wage for this rubbish!

You could shop somewhere else between the hours of 12.00-14.00 Monday to Friday. ;)

• Advertisement

nc6000 wrote: »
    You could shop somewhere else between the hours of 12.00-14.00 Monday to Friday. ;)
    Could they have predicted that it would be on when they went into the shop?

Don't listen/don't watch/don't read could be said about absolutely anything. Commercial radio has always had plenty of dross but Today FM used to be an exception - it's morphing into the others now though, and there's nothing wrong with an opinion on this. Still some good shows but overall there's a marked deterioration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭nc6000

Could they have predicted that it would be on when they went into the shop?

Don't listen/don't watch/don't read could be said about absolutely anything. Commercial radio has always had plenty of dross but Today FM used to be an exception - it's morphing into the others now though, and there's nothing wrong with an opinion on this. Still some good shows but overall there's a marked deterioration.

You didn't spot the winking smilie face at the end of my post then?

I did but still read it the wrong way. Apologies!

TOTAL charisma vaccum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

I see Louise Duffy is back on Monday. I wonder will poor Ed have to go back to babysitting Darcy during the week?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

statto25 wrote: »
    I see Louise Duffy is back on Monday. I wonder will poor Ed have to go back to babysitting Darcy during the week?

Just the news you want to see. She makes Muireann look serene and intellectual.

Now that would be difficult!
    Darcy has really struggled without Ed with him in the afternoons.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    Just the news you want to see. She makes Muireann look serene and intellectual.

Is she taking over the lunchtime show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

a prime example of how any person can very quickly get their own show on a national station. baffling really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

a prime example of how any person can very quickly get their own show on a national station. baffling really.

She's bloody dreadful, I was hoping theyd move Ed to a week show and she goes off to his weekend one and she does her "blogging" nonsense (btw did that ever take off for her or was it just her saving face after failing in two day slots)

Advertisement