Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

Does anyone else agree that the radio ireland imaging above is much better than the imaging Today FM have had recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭De Bhál

People say Ian's show is very stale but imagine the outrage when a duo like Fergal Darcy + Paula MacSweeney inevitably replace him :eek:

I don't get why people would call it stale. Just because it hasn't really changed much over the years???? Why mess with a formula that works. Bit of music, news gossip and comedy works for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

De Bhál wrote: »
    I don't get why people would call it stale. Just because it hasn't really changed much over the years???? Why mess with a formula that works. Bit of music, news gossip and comedy works for me anyway.

To be fair, it's ratings have declined significantly in recent years but I'd say that's mostly down to changing technology rather than anything wrong with Ian

I wouldn't be a big radio mogul or anything, but I'm often in the car for a week at a time, and heading around the whole country, randomly. So I listen to TodayFM a fair bit as i'm generally guaranteed a reception (though I often tune in and out of Sunshine, LMFM, Shannonside, etc. as I go along my merry way).

Whatever you think of the presenters, love them or hate them, it's all down to personality, I suppose. I like Fergal, Can't stand Muireann, etc. and everyone's opinion is different.

But I have to admit, I've actually tuned out, or turned the radio off and forgot to turn it back on, several times, because I was just hearing the same song over, and over, and over again. Their playlist seems limited to about 10 songs, and they're rarely that good (definitely not something I'd listen to over and over by choice).

The play list seems to be about 10 songs, and it's like it gets reset for every show, so the same songs will re-appear on each show during the day, repeatedly. It's so annoying (especially when most pop songs these days are the same 20 seconds over and over again anyway, though that might just be my general dislike for them).

As someone who doesn't really understand how radio works, I feel like they have subscribed to some kind of broadcasting/streaming service where they pay a set fee and can play a certain selection of songs for free, but have to pay royalties if they play anything that's not the 'flavour of the month' list, so they avoid doing so, and keep with the same small selection for as long as they can.

Coupled with their impossible-to-win competitions for trivial amounts of money, it really seems like they're afraid to spend anything.

Yet today they were talking about their new studio in Cork (why?).

On my drive home today I removed TodayFM from the saved list on my car, though I'm sure when I'm in trickier areas for reception I'll end up back on it. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,444 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

But I have to admit, I've actually tuned out, or turned the radio off and forgot to turn it back on, several times, because I was just hearing the same song over, and over, and over again. Their playlist seems limited to about 10 songs, and they're rarely that good (definitely not something I'd listen to over and over by choice).

Picture.
    Fcuking.
    This.

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Picture.
    Fcuking.
    This.

"Take my hand.."

*radio off*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Anyone else get annoyed by Matt Coopers breathing into the mic

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MML

160 years of recorded music to choose from and the best they can do is wall-to-wall Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars and Ann Marie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

Nothing has been the same since they cancelled Friday Night 80s ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Yoghurt87 wrote: »
    Nothing has been the same since they cancelled Friday Night 80s ☹️

And it's sister show "nothing but 90's"

Actually, they cancelled it twice (under a different name the second time)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Seeing as its target audience was in nappies in the 1990s, I don't suppose it's any surprise really.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Deiselurker

retalivity wrote: »

Picture.
    Fcuking.
    This.
    George Ezra's Shotgun as well. It was being played to death a while back. I heard it coming on one day in the car and turned it off straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

George Ezra's Shotgun as well. It was being played to death a while back. I heard it coming on one day in the car and turned it off straight away.

They had a 'most requested songs of the year' show round new years i think, turned out shotgun was number one. who would have thunk it?? :p:p:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Seeing as its target audience was in nappies in the 1990s, I don't suppose it's any surprise really.

But do that age range actually listen to the radio? I grew up in the 80's with the kitchen radio on all day long, 7 days a week. So I am still a big radio listener but the same 10 songs on TodayFM day in, day out has me changing the channel - I am someone who still listens to the radio form 6.30am every day, please give us a better mix of music! I can deal with the annoying personalities but not George Ezra shouting SHOT GUN every 10th song! Please let him sit in the front before I throw something at my radio.

You'd think the heads of radio stations would read these forums to get a good grasp of their demographic :rolleyes: If you do, why not engage with us, we don't bit...just wanna listen to some different tunes please

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    They had a 'most requested songs of the year' show round new years i think, turned out shotgun was number one. who would have thunk it?? :p:p:rolleyes:

Sure no wonder when they keep playing it over and over. Eventually it'll keep into the subconscious of the listeners and they'll start to believe they like it. Mind control, so it is :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

I've been listening to TodayFM since its launch, used to love the station, regular caller/texter, won a lot of prizes with them but for the last year I've just found myself tuning out.

Ian is a great DJ and really suited to the mornings, a good upbeat / positive personality without being a pain in the arse but the shows format has been the exact same for years now, coupled with the fact that (as others have said) they only play the same 10 songs repeatedly I know exactly whats going to come out of his mouth for the 2 hours that I listen to in the morning.

Gift grub has gone stale and apart from one or two decent ones in the last 2 years needs to be axed.

I don't know what, but something needs to change, hopefully not the DJ (Ian) but definately the format of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

I have sneakily turned down the volume slightly on the work radio. Now it’s more background noise than actually being able to hear everything perfectly.
    What I did hear ALL day yesterday on what seemed like every show was the presenters talking about clearing your car window in the snow / ice / cold.
    Every. Show. 🀷ðŸ»*♀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

dragonfly! wrote: »
    I have sneakily turned down the volume slightly on the work radio. Now it’s more background noise than actually being able to hear everything perfectly.
    What I did hear ALL day yesterday on what seemed like every show was the presenters talking about clearing your car window in the snow / ice / cold.
    Every. Show. ��♀️

Content Creators :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Up to a year ago I used to see people saying that they dont listen to the radio anymore and they use spotify and podcasts in the car instead. I stuck with the radio for long enough.

The format is so jaded though and this whole 'text in a time you pissed yourself in school/shat in a bin/frightened a cat' sthick is the bottom of the barrel. Add to that the terrible repetitive music choice, the inane banter and the constant news bulletins telling me about Trump, Brexit and other depressing news. I would advise anyway to get an FM transmitter and to listen to spotify, documentaries and podcasts that interest you instead. You will never look back and you will never have to listen to Ferg, Muireann and all the other airheads on Today FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Even if they cleared out every Today FM presenter from daytime & replaced them with new people it would still be the same old load of S*** they would be talking every day!

The Today FM of old that we loved is gone forever and aint coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

gamecube wrote: »
    Even if they cleared out every Today FM presenter from daytime & replaced them with new people it would still be the same old load of S*** they would be talking every day!

The Today FM of old that we loved is gone forever and ain't coming back.

Agreed. It would not surprise me if Muireann, Fergal et al would much rather choose the music they play on their shows and not have to keep discussing what your mammy put in your lunchbox when you were 5. The station comes across these days as something designed by an algorithm.

I know it's only a minor thing, but they played yesterday's sports report tonight at 11 p.m. I thought for a minute I had mixed up my days again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Have heard Fergals show a few times on today xm or whatever its called, it was fairly good

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tomasflaherty

As much as i like the Noni segment on D&D, it just becomes cringworthy with your wan who does Cardi-B.
    All shes doing is putting on a Noo Yawk accent. Someone tell them to stop. its not funny!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Just here floating around youtube and I came across old clips from the Ray Foley show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExNXyw7ENl4

Bit of craic, the Foley, JP, Ann and Adele having the craic, not relying on crap audience interaction, great tunes (chart releases with classics and of course, lazy radio). The golden age of Today FM, D'Arcy (before he turned into a self righteous knob), Foley, Fenton followed by Cooper (before he turned into a PC plaumasing tool). How the mighty has fallen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Used to like it mainly for the different tunes - more alternative/indie/irish talent off the radar a bit, unlike the numerous radio stations who play the same 10/15 pop/chart songs, now theyve gone the standardised route, sanitised content and play the same 10/15 songs (exept on weekends or McLoones show, which im waiting for them to axe it)

Would it kill any of the Irish stations to have a variety or focus on a different niche in the type of music it plays, not just chart.....how about a rock/indie station or one for dance or rnb etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

The annual bigging up of awful TV3 (now VM1) shows has begun once again.

You'd swear Red Rock and Ireland's Got Talent were groundbreaking shows the way some of the presenters talk about them.

They're being paid to promote these shows, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Listened to Ian Dempsey for about ten minutes for the first times in aaaages today. Must be about two years or so... anyway...he manged to squeeze half a track of 'Picture This' in before the end of the show. Turned it off after. Nothing has changed then - they must contractually obliged to play them. Its sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Listened to Ian Dempsey for about ten minutes for the first times in aaaages today. Must be about two years or so... anyway...he manged to squeeze half a track of 'Picture This' in before the end of the show. Turned it off after. Nothing has changed then - they must contractually obliged to play them. Its sad really.

Slightly related but isnt it really annoying when DJs only play half a song....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭mikep

Why does Muireann repeat nearly everything she says, nearly everything she says....Lads!

Advertisement