Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

RMAOK wrote: »
    According to the latest jnlr numbers, Louise Duffy increased her listenership by (i think) 6000. Surely they were Ed Smith's numbers as he was filling in for her over the last 6 months - she's only back working a fortnight or so.

Her listenership figures next time round will be her numbers - they'll be interesting to see.

yeah I saw she did a FB post about it and a guy wrote back saying yeah thanks to Ed, ....nearly laughed as it was Ed doing her show...wonder will there be a drop when the next numbers are on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

robo wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to hear how Dec Pierce & Doireann get on in place of Dermot & Dave next week. They haven't done shows together (AFAIK) and I did like to listen to Dec years ago on FM104 (early noughties)

Doireann, isn't Doireann Gahirty is it? oh please no, another talentless twit a la Vogue, Amy Huberman that the Irish media are trying to forcefeed on us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Doireann, isn't Doireann Gahirty is it? oh please no, another talentless twit a la Vogue, Amy Huberman that the Irish media are trying to forcefeed on us

Yeah. At least Dec pierce is a steady hand on the wheel. At least doireann is funny though unlike Amy huberman who I'm sure is a nice person, but being a nice person doesn't translate to being good at something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Why does it have to be a two hander? Is no DJ capable of presenting on his /her own any more? Or is it straight out of the Content Creator guidebook?

Todayfm have a good weekend schedule and have some very talented presenters to be fair. It's just the weekdays are in the main fair to ****e with Dempsey helping the curve just because he's Ian bloody Dempsey. The weekend has Phil Cawley who may not be a favourite of all but he's a good DJ and doesn't annoy me. Ed smith is a ginger cork born god as far as I'm concerned. Kelly Ann Byrne is another gem who should have a bigger slot on Irish radio. I like Shelly gray as well. She seems to be good and little to no shilling.

• Advertisement

Why does it have to be a two hander? Is no DJ capable of presenting on his /her own any more? Or is it straight out of the Content Creator guidebook?

Habit ? I mean only one presenter can run the desk during a show so I assume it'll be Dec pierce handling that side of things.

Saw Doireann's impressions, not once did her voice change for any of them.....It was only a few years ago, the only crap part of Today fm was Hector, god, id take Hector back at this stage,

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Todayfm have a good weekend schedule and have some very talented presenters to be fair. It's just the weekdays are in the main fair to ****e with Dempsey helping the curve just because he's Ian bloody Dempsey. The weekend has Phil Cawley who may not be a favourite of all but he's a good DJ and doesn't annoy me. Ed smith is a ginger cork born god as far as I'm concerned. Kelly Ann Byrne is another gem who should have a bigger slot on Irish radio. I like Shelly gray as well. She seems to be good and little to no shilling.

Dempseys kinda getting old but he's the only tolerable presenter weekdays from starting at Paula McSweeney to ending with Louise Duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Fergal D'Arcy being a prime example of being lost at sea without a sidekick. See how his show went after Ed Smith had to cover Louise Duffy's maternity leave.

The content creator (or is that filler creator :p ) guidebook must dictate at least 2 people on a show at any one time - and discussing their school days or what sandwich they ate this morning. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Dempsey’s niece too I believe.....Today FM following the RTÉ nepotism model it seems.

• Advertisement

Dempsey’s niece too I believe.....Today FM following the RTÉ nepotism model it seems.

No she isn't related to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,442 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Garrihy is the sister of yer wan who used to be in fair city too, aiobheann garrihy.

You can only get in if you know someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Ian's godchild Doireann is a "sough after influencer" according to that Indo piece and possibly a content creator as well.

amlinopta wrote: »
    Ian's godchild Doireann is a "sough after influencer" according to that Indo piece and possibly a content creator as well.

The Female Cian twomey. Some women think she’s ‘gas’ but it’s the same as Ed Sheeran/picture this - marketing and pr push these painfully unfunny/talentless social media persons/ comedians/musicians/influencers ....her act is she beats the same impression to the ground ..or copying other material - on YouTube she has that car karoeke thing by janes corden . her other sister is a pr ‘guru’ and that helps as well- forcefeeding her unfunny sister

But that’s the way it seems to be going. The brothers in a marketing course and he was saying to me about 60% of the female students are now using Instagram to copy these wagons to blag free things

Pity the content creating is never any good......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The Female Cian twomey. Some women think she’s ‘gas’ but it’s the same as Ed Sheeran/picture this - marketing and pr push these painfully unfunny/talentless social media persons/ comedians/musicians/influencers ....her act is she beats the same impression to the ground ..or copying other material - on YouTube she has that car karoeke thing by janes corden . her other sister is a pr ‘guru’ and that helps as well- forcefeeding her unfunny sister

But that’s the way it seems to be going. The brothers in a marketing course and he was saying to me about 60% of the female students are now using Instagram to copy these wagons to blag free things

Same with Rob Dipstick, sister is some PR guru or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Wow. The world we live in now !!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

johnire wrote: »
    Wow. The world we live in now !!!

Why would anyone want to aspire to become a radio dj anymore when they just hand out slots to any eijet who has an online following for being a mad bastard.

Worked out well when they hired Al Porter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree. It’s a insult to the profession.
    Loughc wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to aspire to become a radio dj anymore when they just hand out slots to any eijet who has an online following for being a mad bastard.

Worked out well when they hired Al Porter.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'm not a fan of her either, but in fairness Doireann Garrihy did have to work her way up in the industry. She's not someone who got popular so stations just started giving her loads of work.

Now, her popularity helps, but she was in radio beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

When she done the show the odd Saturday I didn't think she was that bad at all

Faugheen wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of her either, but in fairness Doireann Garrihy did have to work her way up in the industry. She's not someone who got popular so stations just started giving her loads of work.

Now, her popularity helps, but she was in radio beforehand.

its handy when you buy social media followers, sisters a pr guru, a sister on RTE and having a notable godfather/friend behind you
    Most of her impressions are just her normal voice with a crap wig/costume on !! if she didn't have the "credentials" above she'd be no bigger than Rory's Story fella, getting GAA hall gigs at best

But that's how you get in irish media, its who you know/related to/pals with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

What's the point in doing a course in radio broadcasting in 2019?

You will only get to be a producer of a radio show never the presenter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

gamecube wrote: »
    What's the point in doing a course in radio broadcasting in 2019?

You will only get to be a producer of a radio show never the presenter!

They aren't presenters any more on today fm, they are content creators.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Blackstairs Mountain Man

Why do management in today fm allow the on air presentations of birthday cakes and happy birthday singing etc... do they really think that I’m interested in listening to the office staff in today fm singing happy birthday to some intern or something.... hardly a week goes by that we don’t have a birthday, baby, engagement of some staff memeber take over the air for the day... eg paul Collins birthday last week, Maria from d and d getting engaged... list goes on..

Really comes across as cringe worthy and unprofessional...

Not trying to be overly dramatic, but cringe worthy and unprofessional is par for the course on today FM nowadays.

Don't get me wrong, they have some fine shows and presenters (Ed Smith and Paul mcloone being 2 examples) Matt Cooper can have his moments, but unfortunately, it's more annoying topics of conversation and the same songs played over and over again that today FM are known for now imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,794 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The latest promo for The Last Word on TodayFM, it's little clips of Matt making edgy statements, asking questions etc.

I doubt they are from actual things he has said on the show? Anyone know?

They sound like he was taken into the studio and told to read them out in a certain style.

Why do management in today fm allow the on air presentations of birthday cakes and happy birthday singing etc... do they really think that I’m interested in listening to the office staff in today fm singing happy birthday to some intern or something.... hardly a week goes by that we don’t have a birthday, baby, engagement of some staff memeber take over the air for the day... eg paul Collins birthday last week, Maria from d and d getting engaged... list goes on..

i had the same problem with Louise Duffy doing this on each slot she was on, she'd always have the news team on, chatting with them for their opinions on Game of Thrones or some little bit of entertainment news or bizarre news bit that they end the news with....No one cares what Susan Keogh thinks about Kim Kardashian or her opinions on TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭nc6000

I guess Alison filing in for Ian Dempsey means they see her as his eventual replacement.

Advertisement