Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

i had the same problem with Louise Duffy doing this on each slot she was on, she'd always have the news team on, chatting with them for their opinions on Game of Thrones or some little bit of entertainment news or bizarre news bit that they end the news with....No one cares what Susan Keogh thinks about Kim Kardashian or her opinions on TV
    I think presenters do that because most radio newsreaders are ambitious to move on and get a better gig (frankly), because it's not a stable job in private radio, and it pays really badly. This gives them a bit more exposure, which seems decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭prunudo

nc6000 wrote: »
    I guess Alison filing in for Ian Dempsey means they see her as his eventual replacement.

If that is the case its unlikely I'll ever switch back to Today Fm, certainly if the current path of show/presenter contuines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I'd love to be able to take a week off in early February after being off for a week & a half over christmas. :pac:

[Edit] Dermot & Dave are off for TWO weeks! What kind of contract are these guy on that they can get so many holidays and how do I get on this gravy train?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Dermot & Dave are off for TWO weeks! What kind of contract are these guy on that they can get so many holidays and how do I get on this gravy train?

Simple just become a content creator, get a pile of hunzos to follow you on Insta and you've got yourself a job for life at TodayFM, if you act fast you'll prob get the Breakfast slot when Ian retires or leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I'd love to be able to take a week off in early February after being off for a week & a half over christmas. :pac:

[Edit] Dermot & Dave are off for TWO weeks! What kind of contract are these guy on that they can get so many holidays and how do I get on this gravy train?

Do you get holidays from your job ?

• Advertisement

threein99 wrote: »
    Do you get holidays from your job ?

Only the standard 21 days unfortunately. I wanna get on this 50 Day+ plan that some of these presenters seem to be on!

Only the standard 21 days unfortunately. I wanna get on this 50 Day+ plan that some of these presenters seem to be on!

So you could go on holidays in February if you wanted ?

So you could go on holidays in February if you wanted ?

Sure, If I gave enough notice.

But that's not the point and you know it. :rolleyes: Do you think they're not gonna take another week off around easter, then 2 in the summer, another 1 or 2 in the autumn and another for christmas?

If I took 2 weeks off in February, I'd be taking a lot of impromptu "sick days" throughout the rest of the year to cope.

Sure, If I gave enough notice.

But that's not the point and you know it. :rolleyes: Do you think they're not gonna take another week off around easter, then 2 in the summer, another 1 or 2 in the autumn and another for christmas?

If I took 2 weeks off in February, I'd be taking a lot of impromptu "sick days" throughout the rest of the year to cope.

If they can take those holidays then good for them. Surely you would as well if you were in their position ? Do you begrudge everyone taking holidays if they have more holidays than you ?

I would absolutely love double the days off per year that I currently have, who wouldn't?

I just wanna know how they get away with it.

• Advertisement

I would absolutely love double the days off per year that I currently have, who wouldn't?

I just wanna know how they get away with it.

They don't tell HR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

They're not employees, they're contracted to present a show and additional items arising outside the show. I imagine their non work periods were agreed with the station on agreeing the contract or were increased/decreased over time as different situations presented themselves.

Just like any employee is free to negotiate their own contract with their employers and specify their salary, hours and holidays above statutory requirements, they used the opportunity to negotiate details to suit their particular situation including extra holidays and when they're allowed to take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I think Declan Pierce yesterday said it is three weeks they have off but he and Doireann are only covering two of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

I think Declan Pierce yesterday said it is three weeks they have off but he and Doireann are only covering two of them.

Alison must be getting the 3rd week when Iano's back, to bore us with more baby/children talk

Christ if she was Iano's permanent replacement, you'd think they're assassinating their own numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭nc6000

Loughc wrote: »
    Simple just become a content creator, get a pile of hunzos to follow you on Insta and you've got yourself a job for life at TodayFM, if you act fast you'll prob get the Breakfast slot when Ian retires or leaves.

Exactly. They might be off creating content for future shows so not even having to use up holidays at all. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,442 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

nc6000 wrote: »
    Exactly. They might be off creating content for future shows so not even having to use up holidays at all. ;)

They probably have to put in a shift at the todayfm college course, teach the poor saps there ohow to create content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

retalivity wrote: »
    They probably have to put in a shift at the todayfm college course, teach the poor saps there how to create content.

Do they run these courses on weekdays or at weekends? Asking for a friend :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The state of the entertainment news just there, the two girls gushing over Christian Bale's Mam trying to reconcile with him.
    They have no idea what happened between them as they say but "10 years is too long" and "aw the poor woman".
    FFS if you have no idea what happened then don't be throwing in these "u ok hun xx" remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Do they run these courses on weekdays or at weekends? Asking for a friend :pac:

With sooooo much content that can be created, it's a 7 day a week course.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

RMAOK wrote: »
    With sooooo much content that can be created, it's a 7 day a week course.........

Does Alison Curtis teach you how to dance around the kitchen? I assume there's some Health & Safety elements to that, would probably take a while to go through them alone.......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'd say you could cram the whole thing into 7minutes TBH.

Muireanns current content is send us in how you call a cat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Quote: RMAOK

Does Fergal Darcy teach you how to ham up a Whest of Ireland accent??

johnire wrote: »
    Quote: RMAOK

Does Fergal Darcy teach you how to ham up a Whest of Ireland accent??

I think the module for how to pronounce 'Fillum' correctly runs for 6 hours alone. It's quite a lengthy course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Muireanns current content is send us in how you call a cat :D

Good God :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,794 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do they have one of those random generators that creates content?

Today I heard her say "tell us what you find in your glovebox".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I know it’s really sad and pathetic. Is she not embarrassed at the absolute rubbish she has to talk about each day?
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Do they have one of those random generators that creates content?

Today I heard her say "tell us what you find in your glovebox".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

I think I could be a good producer for Muireann's show.....

On Wednesdays show we could start with......Do you ever check your car spare tyre?

Thursday......Do you wash the underneath of your lawnmower often?

Friday.....How long do you wear a pair of jeans before washing them?

Hey i'm getting really good at this! I need a Today FM job application!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,444 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'm sure Alison Curtis is a very nice person but I just can't understand how she could be considered a good fit for a breakfast show on an Irish national radio station. For me, personality aside, her accent and horrid cackling laugh is worse than nails down a chalkboard... surely a person's voice (or quality thereof) is the number one criteria for someone working on radio? I just don't think a very strong regional/foreign accent works on radio. At all. Maybe Canadians would love her but we are a long way from Vancouver here.

By contrast, the likes of Dempsey and Phil Cawley have brilliant radio voice imo. I could easily listen to either of them read the phone book, whereas Alison's voice alone has me reaching for the mute button :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I'm sure Alison Curtis is a very nice person but I just can't understand how she could be considered a good fit for a breakfast show on an Irish national radio station. For me, personality aside, her accent and horrid cackling laugh is worse than nails down a chalkboard... surely a person's voice (or quality thereof) is the number one criteria for someone working on radio? I just don't think a very strong regional/foreign accent works on radio. At all. Maybe Canadians would love her but we are a long way from Vancouver here.

By contrast, the likes of Dempsey and Phil Cawley have brilliant radio voice imo. I could easily listen to either of them read the phone book, whereas Alison's voice alone has me reaching for the mute button :(

She was tolerable when she did a music show to be fair to her , but she was only in brief spurts-talking wise and had good tumes. her irritating quirks were just saying the text no and twitter account every 20 seconds but it’s ramped up now as she’s doing a predominately a talk show and really is a bore personality wise (probably a nice person but just doesn’t have the charisma to host a talk show)

Advertisement