Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

lambayire wrote: »
    Where is he off to?

he made a few jokes (?) about working with the 2 Johnnies ? Who knows.

Not his greatest fan, too much local GAA type rubbish. Who knows if pushed or he went himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Wasn't a fan myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homer

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Where's he off to?

98FM Sports Darren Cleary also finishing this week

I'm Darrennnn Cleeeaaarrrryyyy

If I never hear him do that again it will be too soon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Sad to see Paul leaving I though he worked very well with Ian's show and way better then the likes of the bland Ritchie McCormack on Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

Collins was terrible - probably the most clueless sports reporter around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭prunudo

Rackard wrote: »
    Collins was terrible - probably the most clueless sports reporter around.

You've obviously never heard Alan Quinlan on Newstalk so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Thank God. He's terrible. Been blocking genuinely talented and informed sports reporters from doing that slot for years.

Yes, doesn't have great diction for radio imo. Speaks like he has a blocked nose.

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Where's he off to?

98FM Sports Darren Cleary also finishing this week

I'm Darrennnn Cleeeaaarrrryyyy

Fool just trying to make his own "thing" like Johnny Lyons.

jvan wrote: »

I lol'd one morning when I switched on newstalk and heard Alan Quinlan on about some other sports apart from rugby. Getting former pros of a sport and getting them to talk about other sports just seems wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Is Paul Collins the last of the original Today FM/Radio Ireland staff to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Is Paul Collins the last of the original Today FM/Radio Ireland staff to leave.

Would Phil Cawley have been there from the start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He was actually awful to listen to with earphones in, he'd do this "nasally inhale" at the end of every sentence or two and once you notice it you always did.

I see he even committed to word "unrale" to his statement.

Seemed like a nice ol fella all the same though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,444 ✭✭✭JoeA3

BPKS wrote: »
    Would Phil Cawley have been there from the start?

Yep, Phil was there from day 1 afaik. So he's possibly the only one left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

sort of sudden for it to happen at 8.30 on a monday morning, hope nothing personally wrong because he does seem a very nice man

I'd be shocked if he isnt replaced by a female.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Oh no, Paul Collins is leaving. How will we ever know now what each county is called in Irish or that a manager is known as bainisteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

One of the better things to happen to todayfm. I don't know how he stayed there so long. He's a sports reader who knows only about GAA(kind of) and never had any knowledge about other sports nor showed a desire to learn even the most basic things about other sports.

jvan wrote: »

At least Quinlan knows something about Rugby. Collins hasn't a clue about any sport, even GAA. A bluffer but fair play to him for carrying it on for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,444 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Rackard wrote: »
    At least Quinlan knows something about Rugby. Collins hasn't a clue about any sport, even GAA. A bluffer but fair play to him for carrying it on for so long.

Does he really need to be an expert though? Do the newsreaders know everything there is to know about every story they're reading from a script? No. Iano read out 2 or 3 texts from listeners. All of them said something along the lines of "sure, I know nothing about sport, but I'll miss hearing your voice Paul...".

Personally I'd prefer that over someone who's clearly biased towards one sport - i.e. Quinlan.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Does he really need to be an expert though? Do the newsreaders know everything there is to know about every story they're reading from a script? No. Iano read out 2 or 3 texts from listeners. All of them said something along the lines of "sure, I know nothing about sport, but I'll miss hearing your voice Paul...".

Personally I'd prefer that over someone who's clearly biased towards one sport - i.e. Quinlan.

An expert? No. But know something about the job he's supposed to do.
    Didn't even know or have interest in basic sports stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

BPKS wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if he isnt replaced by a female.

Anna Geary fighting with Doireann Gahirty furiously for their 15th career change/opportunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭prunudo

I don't really get the hate for Paul Collins, he never bothered me, plenty of others on Today Fm I'd ditch first. Wish him well in wherever he ends up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Havent listened to todayfm breakfast shows in years. Am I right in saying Collins never done anything with OffTheBall.com like other former TodayFm presenters have e.g John Duggan,Phillip Egan etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I must have first heard Paul Collins on Radio Ireland / Today FM during April 1997, about a month in from the launch of Radio Ireland. I'm not sure if he was there from the very beginning. Maybe someone could confirm when exactly he started there.

Since Declan Meehan was let go in June 2016, Phil Cawley has been the only music presenter from the Radio Ireland days and, indeed, from the very start of the station. With Paul Collins going, Phil Cawley will now be the only voice from the Radio Ireland days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Anyone know where Michael McMullen went to when he left soccer Saturday a few years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭patrickc

Anyone know where Michael McMullen went to when he left soccer Saturday a few years ago?

have heard him on tv3 doing a champions league thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

You mean Moichael McMullen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Regularly hear him on the snooker scene podcast with Dave Hendon, which would suggest to me that he's UK based and doing some form of snooker journalism, but not entirely sure!

Not like after Michael McMullen left, there was a Michelle McMullen reading the news.

I was always a bit suspicious of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Say Stuff That Suits the Music this morning was hilarious

Advertisement