Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

It's funny how clueless people on here are so flippend with #bringbackanton without realising how expensive the Anton savage show was to produce, it had 10 members of staff, most of whom were made redundant following Savage's departure. D&D have more or less the same listenership without the massive cost and background team required to run a magazine program.
    That is a bit of an unfair comment - yes I agree we don't all know what goes on in the background to produce a radio show or how many people work in the background etc - but we all know what we like to listen to.
    The Anton Savage show may have cost a lot more than D&D and with time D&D are kind of growing on me more and more. But I still love to listen to Anton when he is on for his 15 minutes every weekend with Dave Fanning on 2FM.

We come on here to share our likes and dislikes about radio - clueless, yeh but its good to have people in the industry pop by and inform us (in a nice way) of what actually goes on.
    Another shocking cutback is to be announced this summer which will set this thread on fire... Watch this space.

So are you gonna spill the beans about this? The one thing I would miss about weekend radio on TodayFM is Ed Smiths Songs of Praise...I'll start a rosary now that they don't pull the plug on that, like they did with Phil's Friday night 80's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

If the shocking cutback involves getting rid of Muireann OConnell and Fergal Darcy then I can live wi5h shocking cutbacks!!

QUOTE=Radio Radio;110466169]Advertising income has collapsed for old fashioned media like Today FM which is why there has been major cutbacks to the weekend schedule the past year, Neil Delamare, Hector, The business show, the gaa summer show, Nadine O Reagin and the primership all gone. Another shocking cutback is to be announced this summer which will set this thread on fire... Watch this space.... And it's completely unfair to blame Today Fms on air talent or management, advertisers simply aren't that interested in putting their money into radio anymore. It's funny how clueless people on here are so flippend with #bringbackanton without realising how expensive the Anton savage show was to produce, it had 10 members of staff, most of whom were made redundant following Savage's departure. D&D have more or less the same listenership without the massive cost and background team required to run a magazine program.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭mikep

I reckon Miserable Matt has had his day too..
    He has gone ultra PC and reactive to the latest "scandal"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Advertising income has collapsed for old fashioned media like Today FM which is why there has been major cutbacks to the weekend schedule the past year, Neil Delamare, Hector, The business show, the gaa summer show, Nadine O Reagin and the primership all gone. Another shocking cutback is to be announced this summer which will set this thread on fire... Watch this space.... And it's completely unfair to blame Today Fms on air talent or management, advertisers simply aren't that interested in putting their money into radio anymore. It's funny how clueless people on here are so flippend with #bringbackanton without realising how expensive the Anton savage show was to produce, it had 10 members of staff, most of whom were made redundant following Savage's departure. D&D have more or less the same listenership without the massive cost and background team required to run a magazine program.

Another one post wonder with insider info :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

johnire wrote: »
    If the shocking cutback involves getting rid of Muireann OConnell and Fergal Darcy then I can live wi5h shocking cutbacks!!

QUOTE=Radio Radio;110466169]Advertising income has collapsed for old fashioned media like Today FM which is why there has been major cutbacks to the weekend schedule the past year, Neil Delamare, Hector, The business show, the gaa summer show, Nadine O Reagin and the primership all gone. Another shocking cutback is to be announced this summer which will set this thread on fire... Watch this space.... And it's completely unfair to blame Today Fms on air talent or management, advertisers simply aren't that interested in putting their money into radio anymore. It's funny how clueless people on here are so flippend with #bringbackanton without realising how expensive the Anton savage show was to produce, it had 10 members of staff, most of whom were made redundant following Savage's departure. D&D have more or less the same listenership without the massive cost and background team required to run a magazine program.
    [/QUOTE]

Add Alison Curtis and Paula McSweeney!

Id hazard a guess its either Dempsey or Matt Cooper, (As id predict they have a high salary) and they'll want to trim the budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

mikep wrote: »
    I reckon Miserable Matt has had his day too..
    He has gone ultra PC and reactive to the latest "scandal"

Sure everyone is PC except Trump and Farage nowadays. Its gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,795 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Trying to think what could happen on TodayFM that will shock us all?

Agree that maybe either Dempsey or Cooper will leave.

Other than that, can't think of anything that would be classed as anything major.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

NIMAN wrote: »

Other than that, can't think of anything that would be classed as anything major.
    wasn't there talk on here that Dempsey's contract was up soon....im wondering maybe they're not renewing and perhaps going with a cheaper alternative....would be sad if it was, while its a bit stale, he's probably one of the better presenters on the station (the bar isn't that high)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Name change to XposeFM...

I could see The Last Word going to a 2 presenter show, with the new one female obviously.

It's been getting that bad in recent years, it wouldn't surprise me.

Thing is, it would then have 2 female presenters!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I could see The Last Word going to a 2 presenter show, with the new one female obviously.

What woud be wrong with having female presenters?

PsychoPete wrote: »
    What woud be wrong with having female presenters?

Absolutely nothing. Radio is full of them.

I was just pointing out a potential 'big thing' that I'm guessing might come to TodayFM, since we are trying to guess what it might be.

I wasn't being sexist, despite how much you try to paint me.

Imagine they gave it to Aoife Barry or Gannon or Roe McDermott- it would be one soapbox whinging about what offends them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I wasn't being sexist, despite how much you try to paint me.

Nah, I think you were... I mean, it's right there in black and white, like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Oh dear.....everyone gets soooo offended these days.
    Nah, I think you were... I mean, it's right there in black and white, like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,444 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It seems that in an effort to find offence where there is none to be found, the original joke sailed a mile over their heads.

Dont be so hard on yereselves :P

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Do you not find TLW has too much filler?

If you combine all the actual discussion, I'd say it would amount to about 70 or 80mins of a 150min show.

Still listen to The Last Word but they regurgitate the same stories over and over on an annual basis for their filler.

I can picture the production meetings. First week in May? Let's get Charlie Weston on talking about the cost of First Holy Communions.

They have that many go to topics where they could just play the previous year's discussion and no one would notice any different.

The music and TV review sections have gone seriously downhill in the last couple of years as well.

Matt himself has gone severely downhill the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

You're not wrong.

• Advertisement

Up till a few years ago he’d challenge these perna offended but hell cheer them on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I can see them scrapping the Last Word altogether and moving Cooper over to co present with Yates on Newstalk

Up till a few years ago he’d challenge these perna offended but hell cheer them on

It seems moreso that those who used to "laugh/ridicule/whatever" the original perma offended have just become the perma offended themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I think he has spread himself too thin. Between his radio show, the late night TV show , his writing and all the other things he does, he must never get any rest. That can't be good for him on any level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If Matt started to challenge the pc nonsense on national radio there would be a social media witch hunt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Big Game wrote: »
    Still listen to The Last Word but they regurgitate the same stories over and over on an annual basis for their filler.

I can picture the production meetings. First week in May? Let's get Charlie Weston on talking about the cost of First Holy Communions.

They have that many go to topics where they could just play the previous year's discussion and no one would notice any different.

The music and TV review sections have gone seriously downhill in the last couple of years as well.

Had to turn it off the other day listening to those 2 idiots on the TV section trying to outdo each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

If Matt started to challenge the pc nonsense on national radio there would be a social media witch hunt

There would be with just about every presenter now. Which will really hurt them because they're all in love with Twitter.

It would not surprise me if the production team on the Last Word are all 22-25 year old old SJWs. It's very hard to work against people like that, especially on a current affairs show.

There would be with just about every presenter now. Which will really hurt them because they're all in love with Twitter.

It would not surprise me if the production team on the Last Word are all 22-25 year old old SJWs. It's very hard to work against people like that, especially on a current affairs show.

Its even harder not to listen to stuff you dont like for people 30+ or so.

What, exactly, is "pc nonsense" preventing you from saying or doing?

• Advertisement

Offended? No, not at all.

But like, if someone is going to post something sexist right there in black and white, own it, don't try to pretend it was a joke if you're called on it.

Advertisement