Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,795 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Offended? No, not at all.

But like, if someone is going to post something sexist right there in black and white, own it, don't try to pretend it was a joke if you're called on it.

I guessed that maybe a big change that could happen on TodayFM was that The Last Word could get a co-presenter to host the show with Matt Cooper, and that it would definitely be a woman as that is how media is now, there would be no chance it would be a man. Most of the recent appointments in IRish radio have been female, probably to address years of no female DJs?

Now if you see that as being sexist, then that's your viewpoint. Be outraged if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

NIMAN wrote: »
    Now if you see that as being sexist, then that's your viewpoint. Be outraged if you want.

"I could see The Last Word going to a 2 presenter show, with the new one female obviously.

It's been getting that bad in recent years, it wouldn't surprise me."

Sorry, no, I'm still not offended or outraged. Or surprised, sadly.

But yes, I see that as sexist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its even harder not to listen to stuff you dont like for people 30+ or so.

I have no problem listening to material I don't like. I hate that the show has mostly lost the ability to entertain contrary opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Let's hope 1 of the presenters does not turn out to be Karl Dieter if they change it to 2, find it very hard to listen to him and actually switch over as soon as I hear it's him that's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Let's hope 1 of the presenters does not turn out to be Karl Dieter if they change it to 2, find it very hard to listen to him and actually switch over as soon as I hear it's him that's on.
    I actually prefer him to Matt. His accent can be a bit grating, but he is not afraid to call out some of the PC nonsense, nor is he afraid to voice an opinion

• Advertisement

I've got used to Deeter's accent. At least he has reason to have an American tinge to it. He is better than I thought he would be. How long he'd last before becoming a PC group thinker is another question though. It probably happens by osmosis in that building.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Tbf to deeter, he's more likely to say an unpopular opinion than Matt. Matt seems to be afraid to offend/state a point of view these days.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I thought the reason some of you hated Matt was because he wasn't objective, now his replacement is being praised for going against the 'PC brigade'

I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

There would be with just about every presenter now. Which will really hurt them because they're all in love with Twitter.

The irony is that Twitter is destroying journalism as a, career yet most journalists are obsessed with it. No one is going to pay for your work if you're constantly spouting your opinions for free on Twitter.

I thought the reason some of you hated Matt was because he wasn't objective, now his replacement is being praised for going against the 'PC brigade'

I'm confused.

If that's the spin you want to put on it, then yes you will be confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

Probably been said allready but which genius thought that Deirdre O'Kane has a voice for radio ads, does my head in

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If that's the spin you want to put on it, then yes you will be confused.

When Matt says anything vaguely negative about Trump people around here are up in arms, Deeter sticks it to the lefty liberal virtue justice warrior brigade and people around here rejoice, one man's biases are accepted the other's aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Big Game wrote: »
    Still listen to The Last Word but they regurgitate the same stories over and over on an annual basis for their filler.

I can picture the production meetings. First week in May? Let's get Charlie Weston on talking about the cost of First Holy Communions.

They have that many go to topics where they could just play the previous year's discussion and no one would notice any different.

The music and TV review sections have gone seriously downhill in the last couple of years as well.

Well, I was a bit off with my dates but they're actually doing the annual First Holy Communion piece right now. Must be really stuck today....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Saw a Tweet from Muireann's show yesterday asking listeners what they thought would be a good summer job for Roy Keane now he's out of work.
    I know she relies heavily on audience texts but jesus that's clutching at straws for filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

razorblunt wrote: »
    Saw a Tweet from Muireann's show yesterday asking listeners what they thought would be a good summer job for Roy Keane now he's out of work.
    I know she relies heavily on audience texts but jesus that's clutching at straws for filler.

Its not filler...its "content". :D:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

She’s got progressively worse if that’s possible. Her show and content is absolute dirge.
    razorblunt wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭mikep

More cutting edge radio from Muireann today:

Laaaaads what side of the bed to you sleep on , what side of the bed do you sleep on...

Aaaaaaarghhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

mikep wrote: »

Laaaaads what side of the bed to you sleep on , what side of the bed do you sleep on...

Aaaaaaarghhhhhh

Now I don't listen anymore but I definitely heard a promo for the show a few months back and it was on that exact topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I think a lot of us hark back to the days when the music was the center of the show and you could hear the best of todays music along with a good smattering of the best from yesteryear. The DJ was more or less in the background, Tony Fenton being a great example of the music driving the show.

Now TodayFM seem to see the presenters as being front and center and the music just an afterthought, Muireann being an example of this. She's grand, but I switch over to local radio for the music for the first hour so I wouldn't hear too much of the 'content creation' going on.

I guess there's no place for music to be the main focus of a show any more:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭its_steve116

mikep wrote: »

Aaaaaaarghhhhhh

May I recommend Radio Nova as an alternative? It's a station where they focus on playing music. Best radio station on the FM dial. You'll enjoy it trust me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Matts continuing dismissive treatment of Cal Thomas is very annoying also. I wouldn't be surprised if Cal just decided to give it up and let Matt and Marion at it.

I rarely agree with Cal but I think he should be given more respect. Especially when many of the other conservative leaning people they bring on are pretty odious and/or dingbats. I want to hear what republicans and conservatives think, so I can understand better. I don't want to hear Matt and Marion gang up on him week after week. They're lucky to have Cal and I don't think they can see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭prunudo

May I recommend Radio Nova as an alternative? It's a station where they focus on playing music. Best radio station on the FM dial. You'll enjoy it trust me.

As an alternative to Today fm, Nova is good. As a station which is supposed to play rock music isn't bad. And those two muppets in the morning have me reaching for the dial.

Nova isn't a nationwide radio station.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Cal is there as the contrarian voice. I would be highly surprised if he didn't know the score by now.

I would bet both my bollocks that he and Matt would have a big laugh and a joke about it afterwards, and that Cal made it his mission to wind the pair of them up as much as humanly possible.

Someone like Cal Thomas doesn't do that kind of slot every week without having some form of input as to how it's going to play out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,795 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The bit between MC and Cal yesterday was awkward, when Matt mentioned mental retardation, and Cal said yeah we call it down syndrome.

It then ate away at Matt for a few minutes before speaking out, pontificating to Cal about how he does a lot of work for Down Syndrome Ireland and we aren't allowed to link mental retardation with down syndrome. He probably had a point for sure but Cal kinda got a dig in by telling Matt that he should know as he has a down syndrome brother.

I guess there's no place for music to be the main focus of a show any more:(

During the day? Nope. I'm ok with that when the presenter(s) are a bit of craic -
    Dermot & Dave are a good laugh - but Muireann's "content" leaves me cold.

Evenings and weekends are a different story, though - Paul McLoone, Ed Smith, Kelly-Anne Byrne and Declan Pierce know their music, and it shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

During the day? Nope. I'm ok with that when the presenter(s) are a bit of craic -

Evenings and weekends are a different story, though - Paul McLoone, Ed Smith, Kelly-Anne Byrne and Declan Pierce know their music, and it shows.

I just don't get it with TodayFM - why they put their DJs on the night/weekend shifts, what have they against letting good DJs play music during the day, even at the weekend, they put them on in the evening. I do tend to turn on Nova on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon more than listen to TodayFM and then pop it on after 6pm

Do the demographic of younger listeners actually listen in high numbers to the radio or get their music from YouTube or Spotify?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

robo wrote: »

Do the demographic of younger listeners actually listen in high numbers to the radio or get their music from YouTube or Spotify?

According to some survey that was really about in this thread recently (may have been JLNR or RTE) a huge number of young people listen to the radio on a daily basis. I find it extremely difficult to believe.

• Advertisement

According to some survey that was really about in this thread recently (may have been JLNR or RTE) a huge number of young people listen to the radio on a daily basis. I find it extremely difficult to believe.

Same. YouTube and Spotify, yes, but the ones I know would ever only interact with the radio when we're in the car, and then it's only to ask to switch to Spin 103 if it's on already.

Advertisement