Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

And Ed Smith replacing Louise Duffy in the evenings. Great move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭mikep

Wow so Muireann is getting the boot already and Mairead Ronan is getting her slot.
    No more Mr nice guy in Marconi house obviously.
    I wonder is there any more shake ups?

Where did you hear this??

Thank feck for that...Muireann drives me over the edge...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

So Muireann is out ye?

Has Duffy been sacked too? I found her quite decent in the afternoons previously

Any other changes to lineup's or slot times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

mikep wrote: »
    Where did you hear this??

Thank feck for that...Muireann drives me over the edge...

It's on the today FM Twitter and radio Ireland Twitter. I was wondering why Pamela was so flat last Sunday morning.
    She obviously thought she was earmarked for one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

And Ed Smith replacing Louise Duffy in the evenings. Great move

That might have been in the pipeline for a while. I remember just before Louise Duffy cane back from maternity leave, Matt Cooper introduced Ed Smith's last show "for now" is coming up next.

That always stuck with me - maybe Matt had heard something was in the offing? Maybe it was just sheer coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

I heard Mairead filling in for someone a few weeks back and figured that was a trial for something
    Interesting how Mairead chose to leave and the door was open for her to come back.
    Is MOC on today?

Muireann posted the following on her insta
    Hello lovely people! I have been fired from today fm. Its all good. Like, its embarrasing and Im a bit sad but I love almost everyone in that station and wish them all the best in the future. Mairead will be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Another shocking cutback is to be announced this summer which will set this thread on fire... Watch this space.... .

So Radio Radio posted this back in June - are the changes announced today the ones you were talking about? Not sure I would call it a shocking cutback - Ed Smith is a welcomed addition to evening radio & I am not surprised to see Mairead Ronan back in TodayFM, she has been on with them a good few times since wining DWTS.
    But Matt is still there :rolleyes:
    Hoping that Frank Greaney does a good job, a change is as good as a break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So Louise is gone as well ? The tweet I saw from today fm talked about mariead coming back. In fairness the bits I've heard of Louise on her evening show I actually liked. And I was a fan of the early breakfast show.

If only they could get Anton back..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

I feel sorry for Muireann in a way. She is the first victim of the "Content Creator" direction that TodayFM have taken which is no doubt failing. I enjoyed her shows at the weekend and when she stood in for other presenters.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So Louise is gone as well ? The tweet I saw from today fm talked about mariead coming back. In fairness the bits I've heard of Louise on her evening show I actually liked. And I was a fan of the early breakfast show.

No word on whats happening with Louise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

statto25 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Muireann in a way. She is the first victim of the "Content Creator" direction that TodayFM have taken which is no doubt failing. I enjoyed her shows at the weekend and when she stood in for other presenters.

Yeah, she was a great stand in, I remember that. She's served them well, bit harsh to be fired completely!

If only they could get Anton back..............

He did tweet congrats to Mairead - ah my faith in TodayFM would restored if they brought him back. Nowadays I only get 15 minutes of his humour & wit when he is on with Dave Fanning on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Another "content creator" guru at today FM is fergal Darcy. :rolleyes:

Any word on what's happening with him? Or is he staying put?

robo wrote: »
    He did tweet congrats to Mairead - ah my faith in TodayFM would restored if they brought him back. Nowadays I only get 15 minutes of his humour & wit when he is on with Dave Fanning on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

His show was brilliant. I know it was a falling out they had but he would draw huge listeners, hence more revenue through advertising.

Glad Muireann is gone. Offered nothing only annoyance.

D'arcy is another clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

RMAOK wrote: »

Another "content creator" guru at today FM is fergal Darcy. :rolleyes:

Any word on what's happening with him? Or is he staying put?

No mention of Darcy. Hopefully they are just having difficulty removing him from the building and his departure will be announced too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I remember a time on this forum when people went on about how great she was. If the powers that be had let her be herself, rather than a hyper "content creator", she might have done better. I've said before that it doesn't really matter who's behind the microphone on these shows. If they're being told to constantly go on about what side of the bed your cat sleeps on when it's raining, you're bound to fail. Perhaps Mairead Ronan might have the luxury of calling more of the shots herself. We'll see.

No mention of Darcy. Hopefully they are just having difficulty removing him from the building and his departure will be announced too.

Easy fix is to put Duffy back to that slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,442 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Muireann was bad, however mairead ronan is an absolute dose. Its like going from a punch in the face to a kick in the balls

• Advertisement

I know some people weren’t fans of Muireann but in fairness that was the hyper content creator muireann. Those who knew of muireann in the 98fm days and when she was covering for people and her weekend show know she is/was clearly a good radio presenter and the clear directive from upon high that’s across most of the station isn’t what I remember her as.

And once again the brain trust of today fm have made another stupid decision but I mean the content creation is good so that’s all that matters right ? IMO no that’s not all that matters. A radio station needs to do good/passable radio and radio needs to be the backbone of a radio station. This content creation infection we have isn’t good and will all end in tears you watch.

I know some people weren’t fans of Muireann but in fairness that was the hyper content creator muireann. Those who knew of muireann in the 98fm days and when she was covering for people and her weekend show know she is/was clearly a good radio presenter and the clear directive from upon high that’s across most of the station isn’t what I remember her as.

And once again the brain trust of today fm have made another stupid decision but I mean the content creation is good so that’s all that matters right ? IMO no that’s not all that matters. A radio station needs to do good/passable radio and radio needs to be the backbone of a radio station. This content creation infection we have isn’t good and will all end in tears you watch.

I did enjoy her when she filled in & out of the 2 announcements, I am thrilled to have Ed in the evening - Muireann had a lot to offer and was good at presenting, when the Premiership programme was off for summer & she presented the Saturday afternoon show, I enjoyed her banter & songs.

The main person I would like to move on from the afternoon is Darcy - Louise was good in the afternoon but I think from what I remembered, she moved to evening to play the music she wanted, away from the same old 10 songs that are on repeat. Darcy just is a carbon copy of Ray Foley - act the eegit and pretend everyone is your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

I thought Louise Duffy had really improved on lost in music, a friendly voice and played good music.

Louise is gone
    The Today FM CEO
    "I would like to thank both Muireann and Louise for their contribution to the station and wish them well in their future endeavors"

robo wrote: »

I did enjoy her when she filled in & out of the 2 announcements, I am thrilled to have Ed in the evening - Muireann had a lot to offer and was good at presenting, when the Premiership programme was off for summer & she presented the Saturday afternoon show, I enjoyed her banter & songs.

The main person I would like to move on from the afternoon is Darcy - Louise was good in the afternoon but I think from what I remembered, she moved to evening to play the music she wanted, away from the same old 10 songs that are on repeat. Darcy just is a carbon copy of Ray Foley - act the eegit and pretend everyone is your friend.
    I agree with everything bar the last sentence and I have to respectfully disagree. Ray foley may have acted the messer but to even compare him to Fergal Darcy is wrong. Ray Foley did act the messer but a good lot of the stuff on his show was at time utter gold. Some of the funniest stuff on radio I heard on rays show.

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Louise is gone
    The Today FM CEO
    "I would like to thank both Muireann and Louise for their contribution to the station and wish them well in their future endeavors"
    A form response with the names added. Surely todayfm must have known their current CEOs record at 98fm before he got the gig(and his record there wasn’t good) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jonny Owens

FFS, this is going to Today FM's 6th lunchtime show in 6 years. Why don't they restructure the whole schedule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭J.Ryan

.... the clear directive from upon high that’s across most of the station....

At the time Anton left he stated the direction he was being ordered to take the show was the reason.

A form response with the names added. Surely todayfm must have known their current CEOs record at 98fm before he got the gig(and his record there wasn’t good) ?

Right kick in the teeth for Louise Duffy

• Advertisement

I agree with everything bar the last sentence and I have to respectfully disagree. Ray foley may have acted the messer but to even compare him to Fergal Darcy is wrong. Ray Foley did act the messer but a good lot of the stuff on his show was at time utter gold. Some of the funniest stuff on radio I heard on rays show.

That's where we differ with comedy - I may have been a bit harsh on my comparisons but I got tired of Foley before he left TodayFM years ago and found him annoying, where as when Darcy is on I usually have the headphones on listening to Joe rather than the office radio which is Darcy - I just can't stand him anymore.

Advertisement