Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jonny Owens

Right kick in the teeth for Louise Duffy

Louise is going purely for cost reasons, her replacement already has a full-time job there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Louise is going purely for cost reasons, her replacement already has a full-time job there

Yep, that's what i thought. They'll get some gimp to cover Ed Smith's slot now

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

Producers/content creators should be held more accountable - especially that insufferable Lenny fella.
    Pamela Blake I thought had more sense going on previous but obviously not. Just an awful Lunchtime show everyday and felt sorry at times for Muireann for the drivel she was given to speak about. Then again she could have just put her foot down too.

But how.
    How.
    How is Fergal D'Arcy still on radio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Why is it always the front of show presenters that always go - some of the producers and content creators in the background are doing an awful job, but they still seem to be the same old names - just different presenters. Kind of peculiar? I am saying this as someone who has no knowledge in how a radio show is produced but as an avid radio listener who is hearing the same names mentioned on different shows where presenters are dumped?

robo wrote: »
    Why is it always the front of show presenters that always go - some of the producers and content creators in the background are doing an awful job, but they still seem to be the same old names - just different presenters. Kind of peculiar? I am saying this as someone who has no knowledge in how a radio show is produced but as an avid radio listener who is hearing the same names mentioned on different shows where presenters are dumped?

Wasn't Mairead a producer back in the day for D&D?

I think she'll do well. I suppose it depends on what route they want to go down content wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

I think she'll do well. I suppose it depends on what route they want to go down content wise

Yeh and I think she left TodayFM on her own accord to do more TV (Fittest Family) and other ventures, plus she was probably an employee where she is probably now contract staff with more flexibility for other things.

I'm hoping that Mairead's show will do well as she worked her way up and had to do the crap jobs before getting her break.

Both MOC & Louise gone with immediate effect & photos removed from website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

Very happy to have Ed move to evenings, I just hope to god they let him play what he wants instead of imposing the standard playlist on him.

Hopefully it will be onwards and upwards for Louise and Muireann. I think they both had good potential which was stifled by management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Here's a mad idea.....can we maybe go back to radio djs playing songs and stop talking so much ****e to fill time? Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

She was Dempseys producer for years. Today FM is and has been a diaster for years. The CEO came in from a failing 98FM and has continued that trend with Today FM. The only shows that are either steady or marginally up or down last few years in the JNLR's on daytime are those there before he came in Dempsey and Cooper. D&D don't work in their current slot, would make far more sense to put them back to lunchtime and move Mairead to 9.

Feel sorry for Muireann, she was excellent on 98FM and when covering for others but the format of the lunchtime show ruined her.

• Advertisement

Here's a mad idea.....can we maybe go back to radio djs playing songs and stop talking so much ****e to fill time? Just a thought.

Not going to happen, radio bosses believe that way of doing things is obsolete due to Spotify etc

IUA14 wrote: »
    She was Dempseys producer for years. Today FM is and has been a diaster for years. The CEO came in from a failing 98FM and has continued that trend with Today FM. The only shows that are either steady or marginally up or down last few years in the JNLR's on daytime are those there before he came in Dempsey and Cooper. D&D don't work in their current slot, would make far more sense to put them back to lunchtime and move Mairead to 9.

Feel sorry for Muireann, she was excellent on 98FM and when covering for others but the format of the lunchtime show ruined her.

I agree that D&D would work better at the lunchtime slot, getting Anton back 9 to 12 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I always listen to Dermott & Dave in the mornings, Muireann rarely lasted more than 30min before I'd switch stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Let's hope Mairéad doesn't turn the show into a personal crusade about how hard it is to be a working mother these days and on about her children the whole time

I agree that D&D would work better at the lunchtime slot, getting Anton back 9 to 12 :)

If Anton savage is so good, why hasn't another radio station snapped him up in the last 3 years ???.......

Let's hope Mairéad doesn't turn the show into a personal crusade about how hard it is to be a working mother these days and on about her children the whole time

She doesn't seem that type. Seems down to earth with a good sense of humour.

She comes across well on Getaways and Fittest family

If Anton savage is so good, why hasn't another radio station snapped him up in the last 3 years ???.......

No idea and couldn't care less. His show was brilliant and i'll go as far as saying best show i have ever listened to on Radio

Sure wasn't there a petition created to get him back.................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Not exactly an avid Today FM listener but interesting developments there.

O'Connell seemed to be quite adept as a filler-in for other people, and only got the permanent gig on the basis of (correct me if I'm wrong) putting in the hard yards as a substitute host for the incumbent who I probably can't even mention. I like her though, even if she is a bit over the top at times. You can't use social media comments as reliable, but I was surprised to see so many negative comments about her in the comments section of the news stories announcing her exit. I guess the numbers talk though, and if she wasn't pulling in the numbers then it's probably a good call to let her go, as much as twitter sycophants might cry foul play.

I have to say though, Farrell (or Ronan as she calls herself now - took her 2nd husbands name but not the first ones.....interesting!) pulled a blinder here. I can only assume she took this gig knowing somebody else was already in the seat, and it seems didn't know she was being fired! That's cold. I'm not a big fan of Farrell, she seems to have hoodwinked everyone into thinking she's both popular and this great beauty. I doubt her personality resonates that well with people at all. Nice though, take a couple of years off to do some pet projects and look after the kids (who no doubt will get a lot of mentions), then swan in back to the hotseat when you fancy it.

Will O'Connell still be on the tv then, as I understand it's all an umbrella company between the radio and Virgin Media? It's a fickle business I suppose, not that many alternative options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭giveitholly

She doesn't seem that type. Seems down to earth with a good sense of humour.

She comes across well on Getaways and Fittest family

You obviously didn't watch dancing with the stars so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Only woman in Ireland to have a child and work I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The replys below this are scary. How could anyone have enjoyed listening to her? Why did she get fired?

https://twitter.com/MuireannO_C/status/1156158643135553541?s=19

You obviously didn't watch dancing with the stars so

Correct i didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

why are the women gone and that ear-ache D'Arcy still on?? He was barely a competent nite-club DJ when he first started out and has not improved.
    Muireann could annoy me but I would leave her on in work after D+D, but soon as i hear that DARCY intro the radio is off.

I don't like Mairead Ronan, so I wont be listening to Today Fm much at all any more..

The replys below this are scary. How could anyone have enjoyed listening to her? Why did she get fired?

https://twitter.com/MuireannO_C/status/1156158643135553541?s=19

Ratings i'm assuming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

If only they could get Anton back..............

I think the aim is to gain listeners not lose more which is all Anton achieved while in the mid morning slot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    robo wrote: »
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I know some people weren’t fans of Muireann but in fairness that was the hyper content creator muireann. Those who knew of muireann in the 98fm days and when she was covering for people and her weekend show know she is/was clearly a good radio presenter and the clear directive from upon high that’s across most of the station isn’t what I remember her as.

And once again the brain trust of today fm have made another stupid decision but I mean the content creation is good so that’s all that matters right ? IMO no that’s not all that matters. A radio station needs to do good/passable radio and radio needs to be the backbone of a radio station. This content creation infection we have isn’t good and will all end in tears you watch.

I did enjoy her when she filled in & out of the 2 announcements, I am thrilled to have Ed in the evening - Muireann had a lot to offer and was good at presenting, when the Premiership programme was off for summer & she presented the Saturday afternoon show, I enjoyed her banter & songs.

The main person I would like to move on from the afternoon is Darcy - Louise was good in the afternoon but I think from what I remembered, she moved to evening to play the music she wanted, away from the same old 10 songs that are on repeat. Darcy just is a carbon copy of Ray Foley - act the eegit and pretend everyone is your friend.
    I agree with everything bar the last sentence and I have to respectfully disagree. Ray foley may have acted the messer but to even compare him to Fergal Darcy is wrong. Ray Foley did act the messer but a good lot of the stuff on his show was at time utter gold. Some of the funniest stuff on radio I heard on rays show.

Ah I see we've outed a culchie

I think the aim is to gain listeners not lose more which is all Anton achieved while in the mid morning slot

Did he not win best magazine programme of the year award the same year he parted company with Today FM? and i'd like to see the stats of the listeners YOY after Ray left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Did he not win best magazine programme of the year award the same year he parted company with Today FM? and i'd like to see the stats of the listeners YOY after Ray left

A loss of 40000 listener's in a year is unforgivable, unsustainable and certainly unemployable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Ratings i'm assuming

Fired seems a harsher term than someone let go due to ratings. You'd think they'd find another slot or back to her producer job? Good riddance anyway.

Advertisement