Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

A loss of 40000 listener's in a year is unforgivable, unsustainable and certainly unemployable

And maybe this was part reason why he quit and that he wanted to do it his own way instead of being told about certain qoutas that had to be included in his show

Fired seems a harsher term than someone let go due to ratings. You'd think they'd find another slot or back to her producer job? Good riddance anyway.

Not sure Muireann was ever a producer with Today FM. Open for correction though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Not sure Muireann was ever a producer with Today FM. Open for correction though

I thought I read she was a producer on Dempsey's show. Apologies if wrong

I thought I read she was a producer on Dempsey's show. Apologies if wrong

Think that was Mairead Farrell mentioned previously

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Muireann’s show was all wrong.

After going through three hours of Dermot and Dave, you don’t need another two of chatter and banter. Give everyone a break, play the music, have a game/gimmick in there to break up the show a bit if you want and then let D’Arcy can take the content back on if he wants later. Like how Tony Fenton just bashed it the music after Ray Foley’s lunchtime show back in the day

This notion of content-driven shows all day is absolute nonsense. You need a music show in there. 98, 104 and Spin all do this come lunchtime and they’re all flying because they just churn out the songs and have a DJ talk in and out every so often.

Muireann was very, very good when she did this standing in for people. When she has to pretend to be this absolute ledge bag it doesn’t work. She should have been given a music-based show which would have suited her best.

I like Mairead Ronan but unless the show or the direction TodayFM goes in changes then she won’t last too long either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I said it long ago, Muireann should have been give the more talky 9-12 slot, with D&D reverting to the shorter 12-2pm. I think she’d have been far better talking about slightly more serious stuff, and let the other 2 keep going with the impressions etc. Louise Duffy always was and always will be an insufferable, talentless pain in the hole. I don’t think Mairead will be far behind her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

This is great news. Muireann OConnell was an absolute dose to listen to. I reckon Darcy will be next for the chop. They’ll probably let Mairead Ronan settle in and he’ll be gone by this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,791 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Baffled Alison Curtis has survived the chop.

Drivel of the highest order any time I ever happened to catch the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I found Muireann much more tolerable than Dermot and Dave.

I have to almost immediately switch off the two boys when I hear them laughing at each other with that fake laugh.

I could stomach 15 or 20 minutes of Muireann before switching over, generally due to the music played.

I liked the Louise Duffy show. I wouldnt go out of my way to listen to it but if it was on, I always found the music mix good and I thought she was fairly inoffensive as a host. Think its a bad move to get rid of her. Especially if it means the end of Eds Songs of Praise on a Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Despite being on the airwaves for yeeeeaarrs Louise Duffy still ummed and ahhhed her way through her show every night. She never got better as a presenter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Despite being on the airwaves for yeeeeaarrs Louise Duffy still ummed and ahhhed her way through her show every night. She never got better as a presenter.

RTE might sign her up so like they did with Ray Darcy and Sarah McInerney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

NIMAN wrote: »

But then who would be on the radio to get people dancing in their kitchen, mention children, Canada, more children, Canada, being from Canada and about how she's from Canada?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

does anyone know is there any presenter on Today FM from canada?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Like her or not, she's doing well in that slot. She has made it her own and has an identity. Muireann is just the latest in a series of faces passing through the Today FM daytime schedule. She was probably never going to last the distance because of the ratings and because she's not a big name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

What amazes me with these presenters who get fired is that there’re presenting their show one day and are quite literally gone the next day! There’s no mention of them by any of the other presenters-it’s like they never existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

https://twitter.com/edsongsofpraise/status/1156167135091220485?s=19

I liked Louise Duffy's evening show, but love Ed Smith, and his Songs Of Praise is staying too!!

Anyone who didn't hear this Sunday's show should have a listen, top quality stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Rootsblower

But then who would be on the radio to get people dancing in their kitchen, mention children, Canada, more children, Canada, being from Canada and about how she's from Canada?

You never mentioned Joan grrrrr

johnire wrote: »
    What amazes me with these presenters who get fired is that they're presenting their show one day and are quite literally gone the next day! There’s no mention of them by any of the other presenters-it’s like they never existed.

I think the word you missed here is "fired".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Delighted Ed is now daily...and no more inane banter from Duffy, whose only good quality was at times she played some decent tunes

BPKS wrote: »
    I found Muireann much more tolerable than Dermot and Dave.

I have to almost immediately switch off the two boys when I hear them laughing at each other with that fake laugh.

I could stomach 15 or 20 minutes of Muireann before switching over, generally due to the music played.

I liked the Louise Duffy show. I wouldnt go out of my way to listen to it but if it was on, I always found the music mix good and I thought she was fairly inoffensive as a host. Think its a bad move to get rid of her. Especially if it means the end of Eds Songs of Praise on a Sunday night.

Do the suits actually sit in their office,and think to themselves "Jesus,Dermot &Dave,what great radio"......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

NIMAN wrote: »

she's dancing around the kitchen......she's awful but i think she brings decent numbers for the timeslot.....any time she covers elsewhere she's dreadfully awful with that voice/repeating the number-twitter account...

shame as she did a good music show before she left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭kg703

I actually really liked Louise Duffy and she played a great mix of music. Sad to hear her go.

Muireann on the other hand, I feel bad cause she sounds lovely but her voice was like a drill, I had to switch her off permanently. Ohhh myyyy gawwwd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

johnire wrote: »
    What amazes me with these presenters who get fired is that there’re presenting their show one day and are quite literally gone the next day! There’s no mention of them by any of the other presenters-it’s like they never existed.

Was Muireann on air as normal yesturday? And Mairead in today? I didn't get to hear any of the shows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Yet that Darcy chap still has a job? Easily the worst presenter on Irish radio.

Wasn’t mad about Muireann but have nothing against her either. Feel people just love to hate Duffy.

I wonder how much longer will "Hatchetman Keith" and the other suits hold onto their jobs? The changing daytime schedule on Today FM seems to be the equivalent of rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic these days. There have been so many bad decisions made since Ray D'Arcy left and began the upheaval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Mairead Farell....christ almighty I cannot stand her. That's all have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭screamer

Yesterday FM..... not surprised to see Mairead Farrell on it, was always the ultimate goal when on DWTS.... yawn. I’m definitely not listening to a show with the invisible woman.

Moving MOC to morning was never gonna work with Jennifer what’s her face on 2fm at same time.
    I think moc id far better suited to tv presenting anyway so good luck to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Hopefully they get rid of Darcy next and put Dec Pierce in there instead of him and let him play what he wants,doubt that will ever happen unfortunately..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Presenters aside I think the biggest problem with today fm is how the daytime shows are scripted with the same nonsense everyday, even if someone is filling in its the exact same. I think the presenters just have to work with what they are given. Personally I don't think Fergal is bad as he's made out to be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Why is there more talk of Muireann leaving than there is of Louise?

Advertisement