Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Why is there more talk of Muireann leaving than there is of Louise?

Muireann was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

MOC was a dose who wheeled out the same claptrap every day "do you remember back in the day when.....", but she wasn't near the dose that Darcy is and as was Mairead Ronan she takes the word dose to a complete different level.

I like Dermot and Dave but can see how some people don't like them, but I have to turn off the radio when that say stuff to suit the music ****e starts, I don't know what's worse, the attempt at humour in the sketch or the ridiculous forced fake laughing by the other fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Why is there more talk of Muireann leaving than there is of Louise?

Perhaps because there are less people tuning into an evening show? (I'm happy to be corrected on this). Louise had been on a downward trajectory anyway. She was moved from that afternoon slot to an evening one - that's a demotion in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Presenters aside I think the biggest problem with today fm is how the daytime shows are scripted with the same nonsense everyday, even if someone is filling in its the exact same. I think the presenters just have to work with what they are given. Personally I don't think Fergal is bad as he's made out to be

But why are they so scripted now ? Ray foley said at the end of his time on today fm that before his first show on lunchtime he was given a blank sheet and it was up to them to work out what the show was going to be. And while he certainly wasn't everyone's cup of tea, at least he was doing what he wanted and if it had gone tits up it was on him and his team.

Today fm in the good old days sounded a great place to work and that came through on the radio. I mean a Friday afternoon and the hand over to the late Tony Fenton you'd feel the energy on air. With every passing year and every change the station is a shadow of itself on the very rare occasion I do listen. It sounds soulless and strerile and as if people are on edge.

AND the thing that's most annoying is if you only listened to the weekend on today fm and not the weekdays you'd think today fm is good to very good. I really hope Ed smith is allowed to be himself because if they try and pigeon hole him, it will ruin him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I presume there has been quite a change of personnel behind the scenes? Perhaps less radio people in charge now? The current CEO (there since 2016) is from a marketing/tourism background https://www.todayfm.com/news/today-fm-has-a-new-boss-and-his-name-is-keith-364161

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,357 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

joe123 wrote: »
    Mairead Farell....christ almighty I cannot stand her. That's all have to say.

Hopefully she reminds us again that she's the mother of children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Hopefully she reminds us again that she's the mother of children.

just like kathryn thomas and lucy kennedy....very unlikeable people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

NIMAN wrote: »
    Baffled Alison Curtis has survived the chop.

Drivel of the highest order any time I ever happened to catch the show.

Her weekend morning ratings keep her there. She has found a gap in the market and it running with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Presenters aside I think the biggest problem with today fm is how the daytime shows are scripted with the same nonsense everyday, even if someone is filling in its the exact same. I think the presenters just have to work with what they are given. Personally I don't think Fergal is bad as he's made out to be

I've been listening to Ronan Collins the last while instead of TodayFM from 12-1 and it's refreshing to hear the presenter just play the song and a few requests with a small bit about the song/singer and onto the next song.

There's no forced personality or silly gimmicks to promote the brand, just the music to carry the show.

Who would have thought that such a simple process could be so effective:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

you lost me after this sentence. every time i hear him i have to switch immediately before i smash the radio. how he is on radio is a mystery to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I've been listening to Ronan Collins the last while instead of TodayFM from 12-1 and it's refreshing to hear the presenter just play the song and a few requests with a small bit about the song/singer and onto the next song.

There's no forced personality or silly gimmicks to promote the brand, just the music to carry the show.

Who would have thought that such a simple process could be so effective:rolleyes:

I have to agree. I think there's a gap in the market for a national "BBC Radio 2" type station that caters for 30 to 45 yr old people. 2FM, Iradoi etc have the youth market so why not a station that goes for the next generation up ?

Cut out all the social media bull and focus on good music with the odd interesting topic thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,294 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have to agree. I think there's a gap in the market for a national "BBC Radio 2" type station that caters for 30 to 45 yr old people. 2FM, Iradoi etc have the youth market so why not a station that goes for the next generation up ?

Cut out all the social media bull and focus on good music with the odd interesting topic thrown in.

Which is basically what TodayFMs licence is. They've just been aiming younger (not with any great success) for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Hopefully Fergal”Mr Insincere” Darcy will be the next one out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Muireann must make enough from her VM tv work to still live well. And because she is famous and will post about stuff on her social media she qualifys to get lots of great freebies, eg I know she has a free Skoda car as she is a brand ambassador for them. No doubt she gets free luxury holidays from hotels and travel companies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Muireann must make enough from her VM tv work to still live well. And because she is famous and will post about stuff on her social media she qualifys to get lots of great freebies, eg I know she has a free Skoda car as she is a brand ambassador for them. No doubt she gets free luxury holidays from hotels and travel companies.

But she's not Famous

she is wasted on the six o'clock show. she would be good for a show of her own. Kind of an entertainment show with guest's bit of music type thing. Friday night 8/9ish type of time. she is a natural presenter.

But she's not Famous

She’s a regular on tv so she is famous.
    Oh and she also got a freebie vip seat at last Saturday all Ireland semi to see her county lose to he Cats. And brought along a few of her friends too. This freebie was courtesy of Littlewoods Ireland.

Oh and she also got a freebie vip seat at last Saturday all Ireland semi to see her county lose to he Cats. And brought along a few of her friends too. This freebie was courtesy of Littlewoods Ireland.

She is not Famous based on what Famous is defined as.

Did a quick survey of 5 people sitting around me aged between 25 & 40 and 2 out of the 5 knew who she was and one of them was "does she be on the telly?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Being on Virgin Media/TV3 definitely does not qualify as being famous!!

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    she is wasted on the six o'clock show. she would be good for a show of her own. Kind of an entertainment show with guest's bit of music type thing. Friday night 8/9ish type of time. she is a natural presenter.

Agreed she is very good on the tv. Very natural, engaging, witty and nice to look at. She is like a female Brendan O’Connor minus the looks part!! She is the complete opposite to Deirdre o’Kane who used to present the 6 o’clock show before, she is absolutely horrendous on tv.
    I never actually listened to Muireann on the radio but am big fan of her on tv!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Radio5

What now for Louise, any Dublin stations she might fit the bill for?

I like Muireann on TV so she may focus on that for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Radio5 wrote: »
    What now for Louise, any Dublin stations she might fit the bill for?

I like Muireann on TV so she may focus on that for a while.

I'd say that Louise has something in the pipeline - I am not sure if she was "fired" like Muireann but maybe decided herself and has plans anyway. Possibly a role in TV - Virgin or RTE
    Or if it is radio then maybe a lunchtime or afternoon gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

But she's not Famous

She's a Holly Willoughby wannabe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

robo wrote: »
    I'd say that Louise has something in the pipeline - I am not sure if she was "fired" like Muireann but maybe decided herself and has plans anyway. Possibly a role in TV - Virgin or RTE
    Or if it is radio then maybe a lunchtime or afternoon gig

When she was moved to night time she wanted to get into fashion and influencer game...wouldn't surprise me if she heads there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Duggie2012 wrote: »

Agreed she is very good on the tv. Very natural, engaging, witty and nice to look at. She is like a female Brendan O’Connor minus the looks part!! She is the complete opposite to Deirdre o’Kane who used to present the 6 o’clock show before, she is absolutely horrendous on tv.
    I never actually listened to Muireann on the radio but am big fan of her on tv!!

That post basically screams "I fancy the arse off Muireann". You're on the watch list, pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,202 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Now that Mark Cagney has left Ireland AM perhaps he can take back his 10-12 slot, putting Ian back on until 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭screamer

L1011 wrote: »
    Which is basically what TodayFMs licence is. They've just been aiming younger (not with any great success) for years

Younger people don’t listen to radio.... and older people get pissed off listening to hip kewl down with the kids muppets trying to appeal to the non existent kewl kids

flazio wrote: »
    Now that Mark Cagney has left Ireland AM perhaps he can take back his 10-12 slot, putting Ian back on until 10?

Great shout

That post basically screams "I fancy the arse off Muireann". You're on the watch list, pal.

Nothing wrong with that. Shes a fine looking woman IMO :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

screamer wrote: »
    L1011 wrote: »

Younger people don’t listen to radio.... and older people get pissed off listening to hip kewl down with the kids muppets trying to appeal to the non existent kewl kids

According to a recent report from RTE the number of people who listen to radio on a daily basis is 87%.

Now I think that's absolute bollocks but that's what they claim.

Advertisement