Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Listening to the podcast from Wednesdays Ray Foley show where he likened the current method of programming decisions to standing outside the Today FM building after it's been doused in petrol with a match in hand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

According to a recent report from RTE the number of people who listen to radio on a daily basis is 87%.

Now I think that's absolute bollocks but that's what they claim.

you have to wonder about the question asked there. and who they asked.

I'd believe that 87% of people hear radio on a daily basis. nowhere near that would call themselves listeners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭prunudo

According to a recent report from RTE the number of people who listen to radio on a daily basis is 87%.

Now I think that's absolute bollocks but that's what they claim.

I'd say its more likely that the survey revealed 'of the people listening to the radio only 87% are actually listening to the radio'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It’s in the news now about Muireann getting more popular after her “I got fired” tweet. There’s a breaking article in the independent.
    Go on Muireann ya good ting!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

We'll see if online popularity translates into actual job offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

JNLR stats as reported by the Indo:

Muireann O'Connell: 96,000 (+3,000)
    Louise Duffy: 29,000 (-1,000) (That must surely be a typo? It must be 129,000... mustn't it?!)
    Ian Dempsey: 179,000 (-2,000)
    Dermor & Dave: 163,000 (no change)
    Fergal Darcy: 109,000 (+3,000)
    Matt Cooper: 151,000 (-1,000)

(Edited to add Alison Curtis)

Alison Curtis (Saturday mornings): 133,000 (previous quarter not given)

JNLR stats as reported by the Indo:

Muireann O'Connell: 96,000 (+3,000)
    Louise Duffy: 29,000 (-1,000) (That must surely be a typo? It must be 129,000... mustn't it?!)
    Ian Dempsey: 179,000 (-2,000)
    Dermor & Dave: 163,000 (no change)
    Fergal Darcy: 109,000 (+3,000)
    Matt Cooper: 151,000 (-1,000)

So a presenter who gains 3,000 listeners is let go,and Ian Dempsey loses 2,000, stays where he is..Like I said in an earlier post..Radio is more about politics,than talent these days..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

So a presenter who gains 3,000 listeners is let go,and Ian Dempsey loses 2,000, stays where he is..Like I said in an earlier post..Radio is more about politics,than talent these days..

Iano nearly has double her listeners so that's a bad comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

In radio terms, would a change of a couple of thousand listeners really make that much difference?

Nope. As mentioned, Ian has nearly double Muireann's numbers.

But there's clearly an audience switching off Dermot & Dave when Muireann came on, and switching back on when Fergal D'Arcy comes on. (Or, there's a natural dip in radio listeners at lunchtime as people go out? Or a combination of both).

• Advertisement

Nope. As mentioned, Ian has nearly double Muireann's numbers.

But there's clearly an audience switching off Dermot & Dave when Muireann came on, and switching back on when Fergal D'Arcy comes on. (Or, there's a natural dip in radio listeners at lunchtime as people go out? Or a combination of both).

67k actually switch off after D&D, wow, that's a considerable drop in numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I was one of them, i listened for a while but i only lasted a month or two.

I was one of them, i listened for a while but i only lasted a month or two.

I gave it a day

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    you have to wonder about the question asked there. and who they asked.

I'd believe that 87% of people hear radio on a daily basis. nowhere near that would call themselves listeners.

They're getting that figure from the JNLR (the current figure is 82%), and that comes from IPSOS/MRBI interviewing over 16,000 people every year. I've gotten a couple of cold-call phonecalls from them over the past couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Or people start work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Cannot believe Darcys figures have increased by 3,000...

Or people start work?

They finish at 12

johnire wrote: »
    Cannot believe Darcys figures have increased by 3,000...

See, this is the thing. Your taste, and my taste, is not everyone else's. I find D&D hilarious. Others on here hate them. Clearly, from the figures, plenty of listeners love them. Same with Fergal Darcy (who admittedly seems to be more "marmitey" than most other presenters).

I thought MOC was great as a presenter when she was standing in for people, but on the few occasions I caught her lunchtime show - nah, not my cup of tea at all. Obviously a lot of other people felt the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

Baz Ashmawy filling in for Dermot and Dave next week. This is not a drill folks, women and children first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

statto25 wrote: »
    Baz Ashmawy filling in for Dermot and Dave next week. This is not a drill folks, women and children first.

Thanks for the warning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

But then who would be on the radio to get people dancing in their kitchen, mention children, Canada, more children, Canada, being from Canada and about how she's from Canada?

You forgot she's a twin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,444 ✭✭✭JoeA3

On the irritation scale there's far worse than Baz already on the Today FM payroll... so it could be worse :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Muireann is at the all together now festival. She’s not stuck in traffic so she must have left early. Smart girl.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Muireann is at the all together now festival. She’s not stuck in traffic so she must have left early. Smart girl.

It’s almost like she had no where to go earlier :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

A regular stand in for tubridy and darcy on rte radio 1. Will he still stand in on rte, after moving to today fm as a stand in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Purely as a matter of interest has anyone any idea what a radio presenter would earn in a year? Say someone like Fergal Darcy?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

johnire wrote: »
    Purely as a matter of interest has anyone any idea what a radio presenter would earn in a year? Say someone like Fergal Darcy?

50k maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

probably more as he's one of the heads of the content "creation" class they do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

A regular stand in for tubridy and darcy on rte radio 1. Will he still stand in on rte, after moving to today fm as a stand in ?

Chances are TodayFM are lining him up for a show, maybe a weekend spot and want to give him some airtime. I know he fills in on RTE, and he's shocking. Sounds like a lad reading off a script

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

who does he appeal to????? but I could say that about Mairead Ronan too

Advertisement