Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

probably more as he's one of the heads of the content "creation" class they do

Content Creator..The latest buzz word in the world of radio...And then you have the assistant programme director..What do they do when the programme director is in the building..or do the stations these days just make up job names to give to fellas sitting around all day?....And would the radio doctors and consultants be in the building at the same time as the content creator,and the programme director,not forgetting the assistant programme director?With all these people on the case,why does radio thesecdays sound so crap?

statto25 wrote: »
    Baz Ashmawy filling in for Dermot and Dave next week. This is not a drill folks, women and children first.

Oh dear God no........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Heard Suzanne Kane on Saturday afternoon and she was good...this was the first regular gig with Today FM that MOC got (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Sweet Jesus, the gob****e that uses his mother to try to be funny is dire, the 1st few minutes were horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ratings are dropping like a stone, let's get someone in with no lead radio experience ... better yet lets get someone that has never given an indication he'd be anywhere decent at it ... also, make sure he's not even even universally like and seems quite Marmite-y to people.

JNLR here we come.

Ratings fall through the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

razorblunt wrote: »
    Ratings are dropping like a stone, let's get someone in with no lead radio experience ... better yet lets get someone that has never given an indication he'd be anywhere decent at it ... also, make sure he's not even even universally like and seems quite Marmite-y to people.

JNLR here we come.

Ratings fall through the floor.

Well, like, the actual JNLR figures, as published last week, are just two pages back. Across all the Today FM presenters, there's exactly zero net difference from one quarter to the next.

So - whose ratings, exactly, are you talking about? If it's Baz the stand-in guy, his one week of being stand-in won't be reflected in the JNLR anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 A Teddy bear

Getting rid of presenters immediately and not giving them the opportunity to say goodbye to their listeners is a pretty new thing for Irish radio stations. Things were very different at today FM when Willie O Reilly was running it, although he axed Tim Kelly from mid mornings to make way for Ray D'Arcy, he kept Tim Kelly around the place for years as a fill-in/weekend presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Chances are TodayFM are lining him up for a show, maybe a weekend spot and want to give him some airtime. I know he fills in on RTE, and he's shocking. Sounds like a lad reading off a script

To be fair arent all of them reading from a script 95% of the time. Radio is pretty rigid in its format and timing so its not like a presenter can go off on much of a tangent.

• Advertisement

johnire wrote: »
    Purely as a matter of interest has anyone any idea what a radio presenter would earn in a year? Say someone like Fergal Darcy?

Feargal D'Arcy is on 75k. Al Porter was on 140k. Ian Dempsey is on RTE style money. Alison Curtis gets €395.00 per show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

Feargal D'Arcy is on 75k. Al Porter was on 140k. Ian Dempsey is on RTE style money. Alison Curtis gets €395.00 per show.

And pray tell how do you know this? Are you in TodayFM payroll?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

€390 a show? That's pittance

And pray tell how do you know this? Are you in TodayFM payroll?

Used to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭prunudo

If those figures are true its just shy of 800 quid for 2 × 6hr days work (couple hours production added in). Wouldn't say no to it myself. She's earning more than fergal per hour for what she's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

That's more than half a week's wages for the majoroity of people in the country for two morning's work that she does.

I'd say that's pretty fair to be honest. It's the other presenters that are getting too much. Uncle Ferg on 75k for reminiscing about his teenage years 5 days a week is the big shocker there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Getting rid of presenters immediately and not giving them the opportunity to say goodbye to their listeners is a pretty new thing for Irish radio stations. Things were very different at today FM when Willie O Reilly was running it, although he axed Tim Kelly from mid mornings to make way for Ray D'Arcy, he kept Tim Kelly around the place for years as a fill-in/weekend presenter.

That was not willie o reilly

It's 94,800 euro per annum if you're a contractor who takes 4 weeks' holidays.

That's pre-tax, but bear in mind there are additional tax advantages of contract work.

It's a very decent salary. The nature of the job also allows for further earning potential (between media exposure and relatively short number of hours at work).

That's more than half a week's wages for the majoroity of people in the country for two morning's work that she does.

I'd say that's pretty fair to be honest. It's the other presenters that are getting too much. Uncle Ferg on 75k for reminiscing about his teenage years 5 days a week is the big shocker there.

To be fair Fergy Darcy has other duties to like the radio school and bits in production.

It's 94,800 euro per annum if you're a contractor who takes 4 weeks' holidays.

That's pre-tax, but bear in mind there are additional tax advantages of contract work.

It's a very decent salary. The nature of the job also allows for further earning potential (between media exposure and relatively short number of hours at work).

No, it's €38k a year (2 shows each weekend, x 48 weeks).

Granted, there is the opportunity for outside work.

But frankly, bollocks to it being genuine "contract" work. You turn up every week to the same workplace and do exactly the same thing as other salaried staff? You are, and should be treated as, a full time employee. There are far worse offenders than Today FM at this - e.g., Ryanair and RTÉ being the obvious examples - but it's not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Wow...€75000 for Darcy. He’s only on air less than 13 hours per week. I know there’s obviously a certain amount of work to prepare for each show but considering he has team to do that and considering it’s the same old waffle recycled on an ongoing basis that amount seems huge. Remember he’s always doing loads of other stuff that he’s getting paid for.

No, it's €38k a year (2 shows each weekend, x 48 weeks).

Granted, there is the opportunity for outside work.
    Oh, I don't really know who she is, I don't often listen to today FM. Assumed she did weekdays -- (48 x (395 x 5)).

Why I'm modding the radio forum is beyond me:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I’d pay €395 per show just to keep Alison “dancing around the kitchen” Curtis off the air.

I’d pay €395 per show just to keep Alison “dancing around the kitchen” Curtis off the air.
    Alison Curtis (Saturday mornings): 133,000

And yet there's clearly a market for a family-oriented, kid-friendly magazine show on weekend mornings, when kids aren't in creches orschools and most parents are with their kids...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

She isn't to everyone's taste but her show is safe to have on in the kitchen or in the car when there are young ears around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd much rather see D'Arcy on €75k than the 300 or 400k the rte presenters get for the non stop daily misery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

no premier league live...they mentioned multi platform as an excuse on ian dempsey today with the guy who used to present it last year. probably dosent fit in with their "audience" .ah well another reason not to listen

no premier league live...they mentioned multi platform as an excuse on ian dempsey today with the guy who used to present it last year. probably dosent fit in with their "audience" .ah well another reason not to listen

Ye real shame it's gone. I used to love the chap who did the commentary, he retired i think last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Ye real shame it's gone. I used to love the chap who did the commentary, he retired i think last year

Ron Jones, legend.

• Advertisement

Ron Jones, legend.

That's him and agreed. Seemed a genuine nice fella also

Advertisement