Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

Dermot and Dave have some holidays in fairness...weren't they off for weeks back around Easter too?...RTE syle contrarts..they must have the same agent as Darcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

PIORUN wrote: »
    Dermot and Dave have some holidays in fairness...weren't they off for weeks back around Easter too?...RTE syle contrarts..they must have the same agent as Darcy.

think dave was meant to be working this week but his child had an accident while they were on holiday i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Sickend over the Premier League Live. If they didn't want to pay for the rights for live commentary, it would have been great to just have a football show where they call the goals as they happen, Abit like soccer Saturday on sky sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

They probably decided the show cost too much to produce and that their target market wouldn't be able to grasp sentences of more than 3 words anyway. Worse still, they wouldn't be able to play George Ezra every 15 minutes or have a content creator wanting to Snapchat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I generally don't listen anymore, but popped down to the shop earlier and stuck it on in the car. Caught the handover from Mairead Ronan to Baz and it was grim enough. Sound like two nervous amateurs, on a leading independent national radio station..

Sad state of affairs.

Muireanns style wasn't my thing, but a shame to see another genuine 'radio head' thrown to one side to make way for another 'well known personality'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The term "Fergs spank bank" is going to haunt me for awhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,572 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I thought Alison Curtis was a producer as well? Paul McClune used always be on about getting the thumbs up from Alison whenever he wanted to play a non mainstream song when he used to fill in for Ian Dempsey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Where would we be without the procrastinations and life lessons and preachy little sermons from our Uncle Ferg in the afternoons?

Xenji wrote: »
    The term "Fergs spank bank" is going to haunt me for awhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

johnire wrote: »
    Where would we be without the procrastinations and life lessons and preachy little sermons from our Uncle Ferg in the afternoons?

Oh how I hate them … and especially when he calls himself Uncle Ferg :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

robo wrote: »
    Oh how I hate them … and especially when he calls himself Uncle Ferg :mad::mad::mad:

Said with the inner knowledge and confidence that he knows what he's talking about :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 John the anorak

I think people are looking back on the "old" Today FM through rose tinted windows, Friday Night 80s? Come on that show had the same 50 over played generic songs week after week, Then you had Ray Darcy's fix it Friday for people who didn't know what Google is🙄.

I think people are looking back on the "old" Today FM through rose tinted windows, Friday Night 80s? Come on that show had the same 50 over played generic songs week after week, Then you had Ray Darcy's fix it Friday for people who didn't know what Google is��.

Friday night 80's - yeh Phil did play a lot of the same, but cos it was Friday night, I didn't get to listen every Friday night so on a road trip the odd Friday night, you could sing along to songs that you didn't hear on the radio day in day out.

Ah yeh Fix It Friday was pre the world and his wife having De internet - and it was alright. They were the days when Ray wasn't narky.

I guess you get sick of "20% of people eat this before flying" or whatever is trending on Twitter that isn't controversial!

Is it a case that we are getting old & wanna have the same radio we had 10 - 15 years ago? But radio & life & social media (which is life for some people) has evolved!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

This may not be the right place for this inquiry so please move as appropriate but i can't get today fm on fm radio in galway since last night anyone else?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Sickend over the Premier League Live. If they didn't want to pay for the rights for live commentary, it would have been great to just have a football show where they call the goals as they happen, Abit like soccer Saturday on sky sports.

Was probably the only thing left i tune in for regularly .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

One other, maybe final thing on Premier League Live is this. They were THREE (3) year contracts. Heard that on Off the Ball recently when they were announcing their ongoing Sunday coverage for the next 3 years/seasons; they'll be doing double headers when they exist (this weekend it's just a 4;30pm).

So Today FM can't try for 2020/2021 or 2021/2022 when, not if, they realise how many listeners their Saturday Afternoon Show is failing to bring in in comparison to PLL.

People want Sports Shows in the afternoons @ the weekend; it's not rocket science given amount of sport that occurs.

But Today FM know better....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    One other, maybe final thing on Premier League Live is this. They were THREE (3) year contracts. Heard that on Off the Ball recently when they were announcing their ongoing Sunday coverage for the next 3 years/seasons; they'll be doing double headers when they exist (this weekend it's just a 4;30pm).

So Today FM can't try for 2020/2021 or 2021/2022 when, not if, they realise how many listeners their Saturday Afternoon Show is failing to bring in in comparison to PLL.

People want Sports Shows in the afternoons @ the weekend; it's not rocket science given amount of sport that occurs.

But Today FM know better....

Tbh, it looks to me like they're cutting spending on every single thing they can and as far as they think they can get away with. The presenters are being replaced with cheaper options and the features like Soccer Saturday by the usual talk with a small sideorder of music.

And even the music is being cut, play these 10 songs x number of times each day so there doesn't have to be someone paid to tot up the royalties for the wide selection of music that was played before the current incarnation of the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 John the anorak

On Friday nights they now have 2 shows back to back with the word Anthems in the title, that seems kinda silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

This may not be the right place for this inquiry so please move as appropriate but i can't get today fm on fm radio in galway since last night anyone else?.

It was off air in Dublin this morning just before 8am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

How was PLL doing on the JNLR ratings ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Brian Kerr was the main interview on the Mario Rosenstock show today.

I normally wouldn't listen but when I heard Kerr was being interviewed I had to tune it.

It was brilliant. He is a great interviewee. Favourite comedian is Bill Bailey and he is an All Twins fans. Good man Brian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

How was PLL doing on the JNLR ratings ?

138,000 Which is good numbers for a weekend show, I suppose replacing it with a music show is a whole lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Just after turning off after 15 seconds of alison curtis why does she still have a job at that station in fact any radio station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

gamecube wrote: »
    138,000 Which is good numbers for a weekend show, I suppose replacing it with a music show is a whole lot cheaper.

As an aside, given Newstalk & Today FM're part of same stable I guess we should count ourselves lucky OTB still have Sundays Premier League given between the two they've lost PLL, Championship Sunday & Championship Games during Summer on a Saturday and Sunday.

For NTs OTB the Championship was as important to me, and them I'd wager, as PLL to Today FM to me, them & their listeners; the GAA in their "wisdom" decided shared rights weren't a good thing so RTE got exclusivity til 2021 or 2022; Premier League rights're 3 years, Championship's 5.

It's more live sport we need on national radio, not less.

Although I don't listen to it I think Newstalk also retain rights to some of the provincial/franchise rugby games which is as important to fans of that too.....they'd better hope they keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

sligono1 wrote: »
    Just after turning off after 15 seconds of alison curtis why does she still have a job at that station in fact any radio station

she impressed the higher ups with her dancing in the kitchen....that voice would make you switch station asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭RINO87

Dermot and Dave are currently discussing earplugs.......

Oh, the irony!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Yes....how very true. And now they’re milking the Cillian Murphy interview to death.

RINO87 wrote: »
    Dermot and Dave are currently discussing earplugs.......

Oh, the irony!!!

johnire wrote: »
    Yes....how very true. And now they’re milking the Cillian Murphy interview to death.
    It will be played tomorrow and then again every flipping day next week with the promo for their show playing throughout the day with the interview for the next month :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

she impressed the higher ups with her dancing in the kitchen....that voice would make you switch station asap

And has 133,000 listeners - only 5,000 less than Premier League Live used to have. So she's obviously doing something right...

Might not be your bag, isn't always mine. I tend to switch over to Nova when her "Little Reader" interview is another 'trying to get blood from a stone' series of yes/no answers, but there's clearly a market for a kid-friendly family magazine show at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

*Warning* - the insufferable Paula MacSweeney starts back full-time on Monday morning

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Rackard wrote: »
    *Warning* - the insufferable Paula MacSweeney starts back full-time on Monday morning

What a pain in the hole that one is

Advertisement