Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Rootsblower

What a pain in the hole that one is

Allison Curtis Mk2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Allison Curtis Mk2

It's her laugh and her voice and her ability to host a show

I'd say she should stick to the showbiz gossip slot but even then i switch off although shauna is also a pain in the hole doing that slot

It's her laugh and her voice and her ability to host a show

I'd say she should stick to the showbiz gossip slot but even then i switch off although shauna is also a pain in the hole doing that slot

It’ll be all about her baby from Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

I am just after reading Muireann's interview during the new Virgin Media season launch

She said she was shocked about getting fired from the 12pm-2pm slot

With the low JNLR numbers she was getting I don't understand how she was shocked that she was let go

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

gamecube wrote: »
    I am just after reading Muireann's interview during the new Virgin Media season launch

With the low JNLR numbers she was getting I don't understand how she was shocked that she was let go

I’d say it was more the fact she as sacked a week before JNLRs came out rather than immediately after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

It’ll be all about her baby from Monday
    and don't you know I have a husband/boyfriend....youd swear shes the only one who has had a boyfriend/husband and kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

gamecube wrote: »

She's talking herself up, keeping herself in the spotlight.

That's admirable and it'll help her career.

Couldn't stand her myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

NIMAN wrote: »
    She's talking herself up, keeping herself in the spotlight.

That's admirable and it'll help her career.

Couldn't stand her myself.

Most here couldnt until she was fired. Be the same with Curtis/McSweeney if they left the station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Seems to be a lot of people on boards who really can't stand female presenters... No objective reason presented, just the same "all they talk about is their baby"/"dancing in the kitchen" remarks repeated all the time. (Ok, in reality, not a lot. Really just the same few people who keep on mentioning their dislike of women on the radio.)

With the exception of O'Connell, that's just not reflected in the JNLR figures at all, though.

Odd, that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Ferg Darcy(irritating) , Matt cooper (went the offended route and his show went down the toilet) and D&d (better at the lunch spot) get crapped on here by no of posters as well so you can drop your sexism card inference

Today fb has gone to the dogs with poor replacements and show contributors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Must say I found Paula's replacement to be a much better presenter, I presume they'll move her back to nights/weekends?

She was a lot less "try hard".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Ferg Darcy(irritating) , Matt cooper (went the offended route and his show went down the toilet) and D&d (better at the lunch spot) get crapped on here by no of posters as well so you can drop your sexism card inference

Today fb has gone to the dogs with poor replacements and show contributors

Your man will prob think the reason Al Porter was disliked was cos of underlying homophobia rather than the fact he was an irritating, unprofessional, unfunny tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Seems to be a lot of people on boards who really can't stand female presenters... No objective reason presented, just the same "all they talk about is their baby"/"dancing in the kitchen" remarks repeated all the time. (Ok, in reality, not a lot. Really just the same few people who keep on mentioning their dislike of women on the radio.)

With the exception of O'Connell, that's just not reflected in the JNLR figures at all, though.

Odd, that.
    You obviously haven't been on The Last Word forum then. And don't get me started on The Pat Kenny thread when Jonathan Healy is covering for him. So not sure your gender theory holds up in the face of actual evidence, rather than conjecture

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Odd, that.
    O'Connell was gaining listenership though. It's very bad form by Today FM to drop Duffy and O'Connell the way that they did.

Dannyman76 wrote: »
    O'Connell was gaining listenership though. It's very bad form by Today FM to drop Duffy and O'Connell the way that they did.

Duffy tbf had 3 cracks but the ratings went down every time ... I liked Muireann before she went the content creator route

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Your man will prob think the reason Al Porter was disliked was cos of underlying homophobia rather than the fact he was an irritating, unprofessional, unfunny tool.

Can't say why you disliked him, but I disliked his show because he was irritating and unfunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Can't say why you disliked him, but I disliked his show because he was irritating and unfunny.

I disliked his show because he was irritating, unprofessional and unfunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

What way should they have done it? There’s only one way to say you’re sacked.
    Dannyman76 wrote: »

Odd, that.

Muireann played some decent music at times but unfortunately this content creation clickbait tripe is exactly that.... tripe.

Please don’t grasp at straws to feed your SJW agenda by accusing people of sexism.

There are radio presenters on other channels who are female that I like that do their job well. It’s just that this is a Today FM thread and Curtis and McSweeny are muck.

How do u know that some of the posters here giving out about Curtis/McSweeny aren’t female, or would that be ok then.

Muireann played some decent music at times but unfortunately this content creation clickbait tripe is exactly that.... tripe.

Please don’t grasp at straws to feed your SJW agenda by accusing people of sexism.

There are radio presenters on other channels who are female that I like that do their job well. It’s just that this is a Today FM thread and Curtis and McSweeny are muck.

How do u know that some of the posters here giving out about Curtis/McSweeny aren’t female, or would that be ok then.

I'm not a Social Justice Warrior, I'm a Social Justice Bard. Level 12. ;)

No "agenda" here. Sure, D'Arcy can be annoying and the repeated replays of interviews from D&D get old quickly, but looking back over the last few pages, for every criticism of them, there's 5 for Curtis, McSweeney, O'Connell, and Ronan - and many of the "criticisms" seem gender-role-based. "She's going to be talking about her partner/child", etc., even though a lot of the male presenters (especially Dermot & Dave) do just that, too.

The Davester: "she impressed the higher ups with her dancing in the kitchen....that voice would make you switch station asap" (yeah, could be a woman posting that)

rackard: "*Warning* - the insufferable Paula MacSweeney starts back full-time on Monday morning"

stevielovesya: "What a pain in the hole that one is" (Stevie Nicks was a woman so yeah, good point on the assuming gender thing again)

"It's her laugh and her voice and her ability to host a show"

"I'd say she should stick to the showbiz gossip slot but even then i switch off although shauna is also a pain in the hole doing that slot"

rootsblower: "It’ll be all about her baby from Monday"

Esme Faithful Locomotive again: "and don't you know I have a husband/boyfriend....youd swear shes the only one who has had a boyfriend/husband and kid"

Yeah, you're right, I'm clearly imagining things.

• Advertisement

I think you are seeing a sexist based agenda here where there is none. As has been said listeners don’t want to here about partner/baby or content creation shyte which MOC and AC seem to do incessantly.

Just play a mix of relevant popular music suitable for the target audience with minimal crap instafacebook material.

Ronan Collins does this well not because he is a man but because of the show format

P.S I don’t like the Ronan Collins musical taste

Admittedly I only hear a small bit of Alison Curtis' show cos I go to parkrun on a Saturday and sometimes manage a lie-in on Sundays, but "content creation"? It's a kid-friendly family magazine radio show... she can't just play top ten hits and do the kid-reading thing for 2 hours! (Well - she could. But I doubt it'd work as a show!)

Admittedly I only hear a small bit of Alison Curtis' show cos I go to parkrun on a Saturday and sometimes manage a lie-in on Sundays, but "content creation"? It's a kid-friendly family magazine radio show... she can't just play top ten hits and do the kid-reading thing for 2 hours! (Well - she could. But I doubt it'd work as a show!)

Who says they have to play the top ten there are plenty of hits to fill 2 hours with some “magazine” type material on their show. MOC actually used to play good stuff on a Sat afternoon in summer.

I can’t stand the Instagram/Facebook type clickbait style on the radio but maybe I’m just and old curmudgeon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

MOC also had a mad habit of making content for IG that had no relevance to radio. Here’s a clip of us trying to jump into pants ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I saw that. Nearly sure I heard him on Songs of Praise? Did he leave mid way ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I saw that. Nearly sure I heard him on Songs of Praise? Did he leave mid way ?
    He was at EP this weekend I think. I didn't hear Songs of Praise, but maybe it was pre-recorded.

I had Songs of Praise on in the background - he usually mentions several times during the show if it's pre-recorded but I could have missed that. Hope he makes a swift and full recovery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

I was listening to Songs Of Praise too last night & there was no mention of the show pre-recorded but perhaps they played a previous show as I heard him reading out texts etc and the music was absolutely brilliant (as usual)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Muireann and her show have been nominated for the IMRO awards.

Advertisement