Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

nc6000 wrote: »
    I wonder could the lack of competitions or chances to win cash be affecting Today FM's listener numbers?

My daughter was in the car with me the other day and asked me to switch to Spin and in the few minutes we had it on someone won €450 and a few minutes later she switched over to FM104 and we heard someone else picking up €400.

I guess it was just a coincidence to hear competition winners on two stations within 20 minutes or so but it got me thinking that you never really hear similar on TodayFM.

Apart from the daily grand on Ferg's show, the 'Ah sure lookit' thing on D&D which can get up to a few grand, their recent GAA competition that was worth €10,000, the trip to the rugby world cup final on The Last Word and the countless tickets on Ed's National Anthems and the Paul McLoone Show... yeah, nothin'... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Apart from the daily grand on Ferg's show, the 'Ah sure lookit' thing on D&D which can get up to a few grand, their recent GAA competition that was worth €10,000, the trip to the rugby world cup final on The Last Word and the countless tickets on Ed's National Anthems and the Paul McLoone Show... yeah, nothin'... :rolleyes:

And all the concert tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Don’t think it’s Ferg that’s gone he’s been active on Twitter has his bio mention today fm , his cover photo is dare to care and his last retweet is today fm related.
    Unless of course he doesn’t know yet ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I would absolutely love it to be Fergal Darcy but it could very well be Dermot and Dave. But I really hope it’s Darcy.
    Going by the rate at which Today FM changes its presenters these days, everyone should be looking around nervously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It could be anyone who's unfortunate enough to have been born as a male. At the rate the radio stations are going, it'll be the male presenters who'll be an endangered species. I don't mind female presenters on the radio but not on every single fecking program from morning til evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Don’t think it’s Ferg that’s gone he’s been active on Twitter has his bio mention today fm , his cover photo is dare to care and his last retweet is today fm related.
    Unless of course he doesn’t know yet ....

Or he’s getting a sidekick ... Ed Smith left his show....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

It could be anyone who's unfortunate enough to have been born as a male. At the rate the radio stations are going, it'll be the male presenters who'll be an endangered species. I don't mind female presenters on the radio but not on every single fecking program from morning til evening.

Yay every station be like loose women from 7-7 and play the same 10 songs all day

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Dannyman76 wrote: »

I posted this on the second of May and on the 2fm changes thread and it’s sadly even more relevant today.

The only people I feel sorry for is anyone who remotely has an interest in becoming a radio DJ as a career working their way up on small stations and dj’ing at night time to make ends meet only to have 2fm and todayFM give up prime time slots to hack Instagram scammers on the hope they get a quick increase in listenership from all of the Instagram huns.

Such a sad state of affairs. Influencers are a terrible trend that will die out. Good old fashioned Radio DJs is one tradition that shouldn’t die out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Are Today FM trying to lose listeners by taking on nobody female presenters who never had to learn dj'ing/music/presenting radio the long and hard way?

I predict Ian Dempsey will leave in the next 6 months and Today FM won't be on air in 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Social Media "influencers" already have some presenting skills if they've been making YouTube videos. The audience the station is aiming for now already know these people and possibly follow them on social media anyway. So having them on Today FM and the likes is simply extending their brand. The music on daytime Today FM is set by other people so it doesn't matter one jot whether the presenters know anything about music or not. I'm not even sure the people who set the playlist on Today FM care about music.

Why do you think Ian Dempsey will be leaving? What do you think the station will be gone in 3 years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

I think Today FM should consider getting an new name, I think too many people associate the Today FM brand with past glories like Darcy's early years, Tom Dunne, Friday night 80s, Ray Foley etc etc etc and an new brand would draw a line under that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Doblin wrote: »
    Those figures are still bad tho. Tracy Clifford on 2fm has 147k listeners. One time Today FM had 180k listeners in the afternoon with Foley & Fenton.

Foley and Fenton... you just reminded me how good Today FM used to be. Radio presenters worth every penny they were paid. Now we have Mairead Ronan and Anna Geary it seems... Good Lord - where did it all go wrong?!

I’m a woman myself and I couldn’t give a damn how many women are on the radio, so long as they’re good. Even in work, my all-female office have been giving out about how bad the female presenters are on Today FM. This shoehorning of female presenters into the line-up is not doing the station any favours at all. The music isn’t as good as it used to be either. Dermot and Dave are the only reason we haven’t switched over yet

Too be honest I think Today FM started to go down hill when ray foley was hired...any newcomers to the station after him and the standard of the station dropped....such as L. Duffy, F. D'Arcy, P. MacSweeney etc.
    Many will disagree with me.

Before that it was a VERY all-round decent station with Ray D'Arcy, Phil Cawley in the afternoons, Anne Marie Kelly, Tony Fenton (although he was much better on 2FM), Eamonn Dunphy, Tom Dunne, Donal Dineen..
    It had "normal" stand-in/weekend "real" music jocks like Tim Kelly, Declan Meehan, Jim O'Neill, Derek Flood, Karl Tsigdinos, Stephen Keogh, Bob Conway, Marty Miller...I could go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LazerShark

Too be honest I think Today FM started to go down hill when ray foley was hired...any newcomers to the station after him and the standard of the station dropped....such as L. Duffy, F. D'Arcy, P. MacSweeney etc.
    Many will disagree with me.

He was already gone from the station when all of those people were hired. And he was there for something like ten years before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I don't know how people praise Ray Foley in one breath, but then slate Fergal D'arcy. There is clear correlation between Foley and D'Arcy. Not sure how people can't seem to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Mairead Ronan on holidays already a week after starting her new show? :eek: Or is she just out for today?

Also, everyone losing the plot about Anna Geary, do we even know it's a weekday slot she's getting? It could just be a Sunday afternoon show to replace what she's doing right now on RedFM.

LazerShark wrote: »
    He was already gone from the station when all of those people were hired. And he was there for something like ten years before that.

They’re all part of the ‘content creator’ class held by ferg Darcy and Alison Curtis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Mairead Ronan on holidays already a week after starting her new show? :eek: Or is she just out for today?

Also, everyone losing the plot about Anna Geary, do we even know it's a weekday slot she's getting? It could just be a Sunday afternoon show to replace what she's doing right now on RedFM.

One of the articles yesterday said weekday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭prunudo

As someone in my late 30's I'm probably no longer in their demographic but there is nothing in their daytime schedule that would entice me back. Last word has gone to pot too, past 7pm its like a different station though.

prunudo wrote: »
    As someone in my late 30's I'm probably no longer in their demographic but there is nothing in their daytime schedule that would entice me back. Last word has gone to pot too, past 7pm its like a different station though.

Overnight automated music on Today FM has gone really bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I don't know how people praise Ray Foley in one breath, but then slate Fergal D'arcy. There is clear correlation between Foley and D'Arcy. Not sure how people can't seem to see that.

I can see how people would draw a comparison between Foley and D'Arcy but Foley has the charisma to carry off his shtick. I listen to the podcasts from his Red FM show on a semi regular basis and his strength is his ability to riff off the folks he chats away and can turn a banal segment like Secret Sound into a good laugh at times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Testament1 wrote: »
    I can see how people would draw a comparison between Foley and D'Arcy but Foley has the charisma to carry off his shtick. I listen to the podcasts from his Red FM show on a semi regular basis and his strength is his ability to riff off the folks he chats away and can turn a banal segment like Secret Sound into a good laugh at times.

Foley is constantly taking sly digs at Fergal and pretty much anyone else in todayFM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Loughc wrote: »
    Foley is constantly taking sly digs at Fergal and pretty much anyone else in todayFM.

He was even taking a shot at Today FM a couple of weeks ago on the 6 o clock show!

Himself & Eoghan McDermott were taking digs at Today FM for sacking Muireann, she was laughing her head off at the 2 of them!

It was very funny!

gamecube wrote: »
    Loughc wrote: »

He was even taking a shot at Today FM a couple of weeks ago on the 6 o clock show!

Himself & Eoghan McDermottwere taking digs at Today FM for sacking Muireann, she was laughing her head off at the 2 of them!

It was very funny!

Does not compute.

gamecube wrote: »

Himself & Eoghan McDermott were taking digs at Today FM for sacking Muireann, she was laughing her head off at the 2 of them!

It was very funny!

house-of-lies.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

There is absolutely zero correlation between Foley and Ferg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I thought D'arcy was genuinely having a stroke today during a competition. He made Dave Fanning sound like a shy, retiring introvert. Then he started gushing at a group about the perfect song, "2.5 minutes, if the news is coming up you know exactly how long you have to fill the gap HA HA......"
    And if the gap is 3.5 minutes, you absolute monumental bellend? What do you do then, create content for a minute? The complete cretin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

You’ve just summed up exactly the sort of rubbish he comes out with. I honestly don’t know how this guy hasn’t got the boot yet.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    I thought D'arcy was genuinely having a stroke today during a competition. He made Dave Fanning sound like a shy, retiring introvert. Then he started gushing at a group about the perfect song, "2.5 minutes, if the news is coming up you know exactly how long you have to fill the gap HA HA......"
    And if the gap is 3.5 minutes, you absolute monumental bellend? What do you do then, create content for a minute? The complete cretin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Can’t agree with the criticism of Ray Foley. The man was the king. But don’t like Fergal, I immediately switch off when he comes on!

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »

There is absolutely zero correlation between Foley and Ferg

You keep on telling yourself that. It won't make it any less true. Fergal is a direct descendant of the Foley style of presentation. Wannabe country funnyman.

Advertisement