Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Anyone catch the end of the "Classic 9 at 11" on Saturday morning on Phil Cawleys show, just before the midday news, after he played Madonna Like A Prayer?
    Phil mentioned that next Saturday would be the last Classic 9 at 11 :eek::eek:
    Looks like more changes coming in TodayFM - So the heads that be ruined my Friday night drives to wherever & now my Saturday morning driving trips when I couldn't check Google (as I was driving) and had to rack my brain to work out the year whilst listening to the great tunes & news stories of the year :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

robo wrote: »
    Phil mentioned that next Saturday would be the last Classic 9 at 11:

Aw no. FFS, I enjoy that doing my jobs on a Saturday morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Daft decision :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,444 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Sounds like its only a matter of time before Phil is shown the door and replaced by one of the content creator clones :(
    He's done well to cling on this long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

An unsurprising decision. It entails playing music not from the last 5 minutes. It also requires its listeners to think and try to put a year on historical events. Worse still, it takes up airtime that could be filled by content creators. Why wonder what year the Berlin Wall fell when you can text in about the last time your cat did something hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

An unsurprising decision. It entails playing music not from the last 5 minutes. It also requires its listeners to think and try to put a year on historical events. Worse still, it takes up airtime that could be filled by content creators. Why wonder what year the Berlin Wall fell when you can text in about the last time your cat did something hilarious.

My socks don't match! I've got a black sock and a white sock and a white sock and a black sock and none of my socks match! Check out my Twitter and Instagram stories for more mad stuff like this happening to you!

There, that's the first two weeks of the new show sorted:(

They're homogenising the entire daytime schedule and turning each show into a clone of the ones that are either side of it. No matter what time anybody tunes in now, they'll get the same product.

I'd really like to know what age group listens to radio constantly, cos the likes of the Classic 9 at 11 or Friday Night 80's was fun radio for 30+ - wondering what was coming next and all that.

I think that Mairead is a mirror of Muireann with her show - nothing new or exciting but why change something that has listeners. I bet a lot of people turn on TodayFM on a Saturday morning to play along & i'd say there are loads of texts coming in with memories etc, then when that part is over, Phil then has to play the usual day time playlist but how many actually turn it off, so he has a good decent following on a Saturday morning. His show interacts well with the listeners.

I'd love to understand some of the changes that they make - I am all for changes, but why get rid of something that seems to pull in a good number of listeners. Or what are the figures like?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Anyone catch the end of the "Classic 9 at 11" on Saturday morning on Phil Cawleys show, just before the midday news, after he played Madonna Like A Prayer?
    Looks like more changes coming in TodayFM - So the heads that be ruined my Friday night drives to wherever & now my Saturday morning driving trips when I couldn't check Google (as I was driving) and had to rack my brain to work out the year whilst listening to the great tunes & news stories of the year :mad:

That a shame, always enjoyed Phil's show in the car on a Saturday morning.

Possible slot for Anna Geary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I thought I was hearing things when I was listening Saturday morning, a shame cause I really like that part of the show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

A huge shame if Classic 9 at 11 is being axed...I think it has been a feature since the stations inception in its Radio Ireland days.

It used to be on daily with Tim Kelly before Ray D'Arcy joined (Classic 9 at 9am).

I wonder if this is true?...Is Philip Cawley staying with the station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Never mind all this Phil Cawley $hite !!!

Paula McSweeney got her hair cut :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

A huge shame if Classic 9 at 11 is being axed...I think it has been a feature since the stations inception in its Radio Ireland days.

It used to be on daily with Tim Kelly before Ray D'Arcy joined (Classic 9 at 9am).

I wonder if this is true?...Is Philip Cawley staying with the station?

Tim Kelly used to do the Classic 9 at 9 in the evenings on 98FM. He brought that idea to Today FM after he joined. Tim joined in January 1998 after the name change. This feature was not there during the Radio Ireland days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Never mind all this Phil Cawley $hite !!!

Paula McSweeney got her hair cut :eek:

That's much more important. :rolleyes:

No surprise that Cawley could be going (or downgraded). As someone else said earlier, it leaves more room for those terrible content creator/Instagram heads to talk innane drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Ed Smith is back on Sunday, doing a "heart" themed show

It was great to hear Ed back last night,its like listening to a completely different station on Sundays compared to today,Dec Pierce, Ed and Kelly Anne Byrne are a pleasure to listen to..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ed Smith is back on Sunday, doing a "heart" themed show

It was great to hear Ed back last night,its like listening to a completely different station on Sundays compared to today,Dec Pierce, Ed and Kelly Anne Byrne are a pleasure to listen to..
    And with Phil Cawley(or his show at least) going the way of the dodo the weekend good radio is becoming a bit rarer. Also, the show on Saturday afternoons which is on when premier league live wasn't on before it got cancelled is also finishing up next Saturday according to Shelly gray the presenter said.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And with Phil Cawley(or his show at least) going the way of the dodo the weekend good radio is becoming a bit rarer. Also, the show on Saturday afternoons which is on when premier league live wasn't on before it got cancelled is also finishing up next Saturday according to Shelly gray the presenter said.

So the weekend after next could be a complete new ball game.
    I'm all for change & new things on radio, but TodayFM's "content creatures" are woeful, the only praise for the broadcasters of TodayFM that gets any kind f good rating on this Radio forum are the few decent DJs for play some good music, talk about the music (rather than ask what did you eat today & follow my social media begging pleas) … so bring us more of decent DJs and no more content creatures or celebs who think they can DJ

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭deise man

RMAOK wrote: »
    That's much more important. :rolleyes:

No surprise that Cawley could be going (or downgraded). As someone else said earlier, it leaves more room for those terrible content creator/Instagram heads to talk innane drivel.
    They need time to play more of picture this and wild youth!

Perhaps a Picture This tattoo might save some of their ailing careers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

What exactly is a content creator?What content are they creating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

sasta le wrote: »
    What exactly is a content creator?What content are they creating

Mostly sh1té

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I’m actually surprised Laura Whitmore hasn’t got a show at the rate they’re going.

I found this when I googled it https://www.facebook.com/notes/matt-haze/are-you-a-radio-dj-or-a-content-creator/127933732526/

If you can't be arsed reading the whole lot (and I don't blame you) here's a bit from it
    You’re a PERSONALITY. You create CONTENT. If you’re just planning on being someone who talks on the radio, you’re numbered. You just can’t sign up for a prep service and read the lines that come off of it. You aren’t needed any more.

If you’re someone who CREATES COMPELLING, RELATABLE CONTENT that people want… AND you use MORE than just radio as a medium to deliver it, you’re starting to get it.

Now is the time to embrace your BRAND. Now is the time to be the CONTENT CREATOR that you are, and not just a talking head on the radio.

Radio is just a medium you get it out with. We’re so stuck on our old fashioned title of “radio personality.” The title is no longer as valid as it once was. We don’t need just radio DJs to be there and push buttons, talk into a microphone and pay them a full time salary with benefits.

Not needed any more. Not coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Thanks, it's not like I needed to digest my lunch anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I found this when I googled it https://www.facebook.com/notes/matt-haze/are-you-a-radio-dj-or-a-content-creator/127933732526/

If you can't be arsed reading the whole lot (and I don't blame you) here's a bit from it

I clicked on the link. It took me a while to realise it wasn't actually satire. Jebus - no thanks! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,438 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I met phil cawley a few times...nice, but strange chap, hes a man who knows his music though and is a 'proper' radio dj, as ibwould say. His shows in sat/sun are always on in the background when im in the car those days - nice background noise, generally good music, quick and snappy discussion - what radio (to me) is supposed to be. If its gone... Its getting harder to find any reason to listen to today fm with each passing month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

retalivity wrote: »
    I met phil cawley a few times...nice, but strange chap, hes a man who knows his music though and is a 'proper' radio dj, as ibwould say. His shows in sat/sun are always on in the background when im in the car those days - nice background noise, generally good music, quick and snappy discussion - what radio (to me) is supposed to be. If its gone... Its getting harder to find any reason to listen to today fm with each passing month

I wasn't a big fan of Phil when he was on weekday radio but I enjoy him on the weekends. Like you said, good music driving the show and a little bit of chat about the listeners rather than the DJ.

I'll be sad to see him go:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭SQ2

retalivity wrote: »

Proper honest DJ. Effortless conversation and interview style. I can't recall an instance when Phil Cawley has been on that I've felt the impulse to change station to be honest, unlike many recent Today FM additions. Rock on Phil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

compelling and relatable.....two things i wouldn't identify today fm's programming with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

So the weekend after next could be a complete new ball game.
    I'm all for change & new things on radio, but TodayFM's "content creatures" are woeful, the only praise for the broadcasters of TodayFM that gets any kind f good rating on this Radio forum are the few decent DJs for play some good music, talk about the music (rather than ask what did you eat today & follow my social media begging pleas) … so bring us more of decent DJs and no more content creatures or celebs who think they can DJ

Hadnt heard about Phils show going
    His classic 9 at 11 is a staple in our house on a Sat morning
    Is this to make room for Anna?

Advertisement