Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

kmurph wrote: »
    Paul McLoone just announced that from next week his show will be cut by an hour and starting at 10pm. Ed Smith getting the extra hour.

I like Ed (and Paul) but is he doing too much - 3hrs Monday to Friday and a Sunday show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Another news bulletin - another 20 mistakes.
    I wonder if that’s anything to do with the amount of time they allocate to her?? “Ok, Esther, standby, you’re on for two minutes” and then, just before going “live” - Sorry ‘bout this, you only have one minute now!”??
    Other AA Roadwatch folk who cover that slot when she's not there, don't fly through it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

That was the last Classic 9 at 11 … but is it as he did say that it was the last one but then said "long may it continue"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

robo wrote: »
    That was the last Classic 9 at 11 … but is it as he did say that it was the last one but then said "long may it continue"

Yep, its all very crypric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It does sound like he’s moving on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Is this Phil Cawleys last show? Sounded like it from how he finished up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Muireann O'Connell; was she actually nom'd for anything last night @ the Irish Radio PPNs?

What's the protocol if she had've done?

Today FM're quare fond of obliterating any ex presenters presence once gone; when D'Arcy & Savage left their shows were wiped from being available to listen back to, catch up on; while I understand this, in an era when advertisers froth at the mouth over clicks, page impressions, site visits etc. surely they'd've kept the option?

On a similar note, a local radio station lost its Sports Jock last December; he narrated a documentary which was nom'd for an award last night; only his co-producer was invited; he put out a tweet specifically state he hadn't been invited.....and the documentary is no longer on the radio stations website either....so the co-producer also suffers because of this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

robo wrote: »

He said something similar when Friday nights 80s came to an end. That time he also mentioned something about new management taking things in a different direction - didn't sound happy about it all (understandably so).

Never seen anything like Friday night 80s since - probably the same thing with the classic 9 at 11 I fear.

He was dropping hints the whole show that it was the end. Seemed like he was saying goodbye to Curtis at the handover before the start of his show too.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Just seen that Anna Geary is after joining todayfm with a day time slot. Would Phil Cawleys slot be changing for this appointment given she had a weekend slot with redfm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

JoeA3 wrote: »
    He was dropping hints the whole show that it was the end. Seemed like he was saying goodbye to Curtis at the handover before the start of his show too.
    Thought that too.

I do like Phil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Thought that too.

I do like Phil.

Gotta say that a lot of people on here do and this is why some of the decisions that the heads that be make in TodayFM doesn't make the listeners of a RADIO forum happy.
    I know that they gotta try new things but those 2 items "Friday Night 80's" and "Classic 9 at 11" were great shows that interacted with the listeners. As opposed to the stupid pontificating sermons that Fergal D gives out on his show & Muireann/Mairead (who's show is very alike, could be either presenter) asking what you last had in your sambo & Alison/Mairead talking about their kids.

I know … I know I can change the station, but hey TodayFM (in case you read a forum all about Radio) why are you axing all the good shows. Great job with Ed Smith shows, Paul McLoone and Kelly Ann Byrne and although Dec Pierce's style of music wouldn't always be what I listen to, I like his DJ style and he plays some good classic tunes.

I think if you look back at my previous posts on this thread...I am constantly asking the heads of TodayFM why the changes...would love a Talk To... Radio chiefs forum...any chance of it Mods???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,438 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Was cleaning the car earlier, had dec pierce on while i was working away. It is a banging show, perfect for a sat eve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭ofcork

Just a rival show to jenny greene on 2fm although she only does 2 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

ofcork wrote: »

It's a different show altogether. Pierce plays a lot of mainstream dance and dance/pop crossover classics...Jenny doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,438 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ofcork wrote: »

Have never heard her show so cant comment.
    But its like all the country stations every weekend for the last 20 years - fri/sat nite, playing club classics and getting huge numbers. Dec pierce is just the highland radion power hour 15 years later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

retalivity wrote: »
    Have never heard her show so cant comment.
    But its like all the country stations every weekend for the last 20 years - fri/sat nite, playing club classics and getting huge numbers. Dec pierce is just the highland radion power hour 15 years later

And the power hour was on Shannonside 20 years ago. The original radio show was the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

In the early days of Today FM, when it was called Radio Ireland, there was a dance show on Saturday nights / early hours Sunday mornings presented by Mark Kavanagh. Also, on Friday nights, Donal Scannell presented an underground-oriented show, which I think included dance music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

In the early days of Today FM, when it was called Radio Ireland, there was a dance show on Saturday nights / early hours Sunday mornings presented by Mark Kavanagh. Also, on Friday nights, Donal Scannell presented an underground-oriented show, which I think included dance music.

I still have about 10 of Mark Kavanaghs shows on Radio Ireland on tapes somewhere in the attic!,12am to 6am Saturday nights in the Summer of 98 i have very fond memories of that show as an 18 year old :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Anna geary is doing a weekend show on today fm. They’ve put a statement that says she is joining dec pierce for a show on Saturdays. Pamela Joyce will be doing three shows on Friday night, Saturday and Sunday . Claire beck has a new show and phil Cawley is on Sunday’s from 4-7 so Phil Cawley and Ed Smith of a Sunday evening. Not bad on a Sunday then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Seems Phil stays on after all, with a new time slot

https://www.todayfm.com/news/introducing-brand-new-weekend-line-911925

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Seems Phil stays on after all, with a new time slot

https://www.todayfm.com/news/introducing-brand-new-weekend-line-911925

Not really a new slot, he was already doing Sunday afternoons. But he's lost his Saturday gig, so the 3 hours on Sunday is all he's got left. Clinging on...

I think it's disappointing, I honestly can't tell the difference between all those female presenters. Claire Beck, Pamela Joyce, etc. They just all sound the same, robo-jocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Block Rockin Beats wont be the same on a Friday can see him dropping a lot of listeners ,but his Saturday show does sound interesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Another news bulletin - another 20 mistakes.

Other AA Roadwatch folk who cover that slot when she's not there, don't fly through it though.

My theory is she wants more time to chat with Ian so she can land a show like Paula did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

JoeA3 wrote:
    Not really a new slot, he was already doing Sunday afternoons. But he's lost his Saturday gig, so the 3 hours on Sunday is all he's got left. Clinging on...

Phil is brilliant, could listen to him all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

JoeA3 wrote: »

I think it's disappointing, I honestly can't tell the difference between all those female presenters. Claire Beck, Pamela Joyce, etc. They just all sound the same, robo-jocks.

I'd have to agree with you there, other than Alison Curtis, I couldn't tell them apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I'd have to agree with you there, other than Alison Curtis, I couldn't tell them apart.

agreed here too. how many Pamela's are there???

I remember Phil used to do 15 hours a week (mon - fri) and sometimes 4 hrs on fri night 80s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

so to make up losing the soccer on saturday we get Anna Geary.....ugh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Anna Geary the most self important person in the universe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Anna Geary the most self important person in the universe

Well Al Porter worked out really well for them, hopefully this experiment will be as short-lived.

Advertisement