Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

who is presenting Phil Cawleys former show Friday night anthems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

who is presenting Phil Cawleys former show Friday night anthems?
    Pamela Joyce I think. She's on Friday night and Saturday and Sunday. I mean are today fm trying to tell us something ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Does Phil Cawley have another role within Today FM or has he a day job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    You answered you own question. They don’t want these people on today fm. It’s clear as day from the moves they’ve made on the weekend. I’m sure Anna geary is a nice person and I’ve no doubt that the vast majority of the presenters are very nice people. This isn’t a personal thing with me, it’s the fact that the today fm top brass wouldn’t know radio talent if it bite them.

It’s great that you go to college/learn the trade and lose out to either some influencer or z list celeb or sports ‘star’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Claire Beck was better than I was expecting from what I heard on Saturday. Think it may work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Wasn't it Pamela Joyce who went on the Last Word and defended the travellers in Tipperary who turned down that huge new free house they were offered by the county council because it had no stables?

I'm sure she will be a joy to listen to with such politically correct opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Wasn't it Pamela Joyce who went on the Last Word and defended the travellers in Tipperary who turned down that huge new free house they were offered by the county council because it had no stables?

I don’t think she’s presenting a show like the last word though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Does Phil Cawley have another role within Today FM or has he a day job?

Phil is a working dj, he does events and weddings etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭prunudo

Phil is a working dj, he does events and weddings etc.

Old school dj, don't think he'd be identifying as a content creator anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

prunudo wrote: »
    Old school dj, don't think he'd be identifying as a content creator anytime soon.

So, just wondering - what, exactly, is the difference between an "old school DJ" and a "content creator"?

I mean, I'm guessing the "A survey says more than 80% of us would save this one thing if the house went on fire - what do you think it is?" is content creation, but is that really much different from Phil taking a minute between songs to talk about a conversation he had with some guy while out on a motorcycle ride, or spending 5 minutes talking about his latest Camino walk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Unfortunately, no one can be told what Content Creation is. You'll have to see it for yourself (in a class taught by Fergal D'Arcy).

Being an Old School DJ is a system. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside the studio, you look around, what do you see? Producers, sound technicians, editors, engineers. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that old-school system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be content creators. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the old-school system, that they will fight to protect it.

So, just wondering - what, exactly, is the difference between an "old school DJ" and a "content creator"?

I mean, I'm guessing the "A survey says more than 80% of us would save this one thing if the house went on fire - what do you think it is?" is content creation, but is that really much different from Phil taking a minute between songs to talk about a conversation he had with some guy while out on a motorcycle ride, or spending 5 minutes talking about his latest Camino walk?

I suppose I would describe the difference as Phil talking about a real life situation or experience where as a content creator tries to make a big deal about a such mundane or trivial activity and get their listeners to engage in the show to show how cool and relevant they are.
    So a recap, real life vs bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Ed Smith in for D'Arcy ��

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Dannyman76 wrote: »
    Ed Smith in for D'Arcy ��

Like getting cured of rabies and then discovering you have an STD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Did she ? I barely listen to today fm anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

lleti wrote: »

You got a shout out for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

lleti wrote: »

So here's someone who doesn't like either content creation or "old school DJing"...

D'arcy's certainly not everyone's cup of tea (I find him fine for the most part), but I think you're in a small minority here if you're not a fan of Ed's style - though I presume he's stuck with a per-genned playlist for daytime rather than the more eclectic stuff he gets to play later and on Sunday nights.

Xenji wrote: »
    You got a shout out for that!

Haha, what did he say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭cena

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Just tuned in and 9 at 11 is on but no Phil :(

shame it was taken off on saturdays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

prunudo wrote: »
    Haha, what did he say.

Heard it myself but can’t remember the exact wording. You could listen back on their app if you’re curious enough!

• Advertisement

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Heard it myself but can’t remember the exact wording. You could listen back on their app if you’re curious enough!

Ah not that bothered, good to see Ed taking time to read the forum and not take it too serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭fourmations

I like ed, glad he didn't die!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Can we bring back Muireann, lads? Mairéad's show is just awful. She seems to be shouting into the mic at all times. :confused: She reminds me of my father talking on the phone when he automatically assumes he has to raise his voice when not speaking to someone in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Can we bring back Muireann, lads? Mairéad's show is just awful. She seems to be shouting into the mic at all times. :confused: She reminds me of my father talking on the phone when he automatically assumes he has to raise his voice when not speaking to someone in person.

Yeah.... you'd think that radio stations might see how a voice sounds to listeners before hiring presenters. Tone, timbre etc.. . maybe check to see if it's pleasant to listen to - regardless of the content.

Only listening for the first time today as it's been turned on in the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Yeah.... you'd think that radio stations might see how a voice sounds to listeners before hiring presenters. Tone, timbre etc.. . maybe check to see if it's pleasant to listen to - regardless of the content.

Only listening for the first time today as it's been turned on in the office.

We have a new person in the office who has the radio firmly turned down:D
    However I heard some of Maireads show one of the days last week when I was in the car
    I have a new car and thought I had turned the volume up
    Didnt cop she was just shouting - glad someone has pointed that out :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

She would have been ok when talking with Ray and Jenny, but now she's on her own I do find her very shouty all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Why hasn't Mairead and Dermot and Dave's shows been swapped around yet? It baffling that a morning style show is on at lunchtime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Why hasn't Mairead and Dermot and Dave's shows been swapped around yet? It baffling that a morning style show is on at lunchtime!

Possibly because it would be too similar to 2fm at that time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,158 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I dont listen to Dermot and Dave but I heard an ad for their show the other day and they were calling out jokes that listeners had sent in:eek:

Is this what a content creator does now - read out jokes sent in my listeners while the other content creator laughs?

They should just buy a joke book in Easons and save the listeners having to text in maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

He asks people to send in bad jokes on purpose

Advertisement