Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭prunudo

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Given the Phil Cawley stats there & the previously mentioned Premier League Live ones of 134,000 (maybe I'm leaving out 30,000 there?) then Today FM are throwing the baby out with the bathwater; both those Saturday Shows were performing quite well in comparison to their daytime colleagues.

I've learnt a long time ago not to second guess how radio management deal with listenship figures and how they react with the hiring and firing of their presenters. Good numbers can mean people are moved, bad numbers and they move them to prime time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Mairead Ronan down 7k from her predecessor. Bad ratings all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭giveitholly

D9Male wrote: »
    Mairead Ronan down 7k from her predecessor. Bad ratings all round.

Is anyone really surprised,she is worse than Muireann and thats saying something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Listening to Ed this evening and happened to hear an ad for their new Saturday show with Dec Pierce and Anna Geary. WTF are they thinking? Why replace PLL with that nonsense? It really is like introducing Poochie to the Itch and Scratchy show levels at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Given the Phil Cawley stats there & the previously mentioned Premier League Live ones of 134,000 (maybe I'm leaving out 30,000 there?) then Today FM are throwing the baby out with the bathwater; both those Saturday Shows were performing quite well in comparison to their daytime colleagues.

Was the premier league costing them too much for production and rights (guessing or did I read that somewhere?) as well as not generating insta stories and other social media rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Was the premier league costing them too much for production and rights (guessing or did I read that somewhere?) as well as not generating insta stories and other social media rubbish.

Cos... Dec Pierce is all about the insta stories and social media rubbish? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Surely Darcy will get the heaveho soon??

IUA14 wrote: »
    Ian Dempsey - 177,000 (down 2,000)
    Dermot and Dave - 164,000 (up 1,000)
    Fergal D'Arcy - 103,000 (down 6,000)
    Last Word - 148,000 (down 3,000)
    Mairead Ronan - 89,000

Book on book changes in JNLR's for primetime weekday schedule...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,438 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

johnire wrote: »
    Surely Darcy will get the heaveho soon??

He'll probably just get sent on his own course on how to content create

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

mugsymugsy wrote: »

I think with all the Sport coming under the OTB banner and probably the cost of the Premiership on Saturday, this was a cost cutting issue. I loved the 5-6pm hour with the interviews, texts and calls & analysing the state of play for the day. And sure if you had Brian Kerr just reading the phone book with his comments, I'd listen all day.

On the whole weekend shake up - was listening last weekend and I'm ashamed to say with all the new voices, I couldn't decipher who was who. I am not saying they aren't good (no I would not like someone to criticise my job from the outside) but they all sound the same, there are no different traits or characteristics between most of the presenters … other than Alison making kids and their parents dance around the kitchen! The songs are the same day in, day out (during the hours of 7am to 7pm) and so are the voices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

Listening to Dermot and Dave at the moment. I think they are doing a good job with the questions. I wonder how restricted they are. They don't seem to be biting their tongue on the questions. Especially Dermot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yeah they had a fair share of sensible topical questions along side the other questions. I thought it was good!

IUA14 wrote: »
    Ian Dempsey - 177,000 (down 2,000)
    Dermot and Dave - 164,000 (up 1,000)
    Fergal D'Arcy - 103,000 (down 6,000)
    Last Word - 148,000 (down 3,000)
    Mairead Ronan - 89,000

Book on book changes in JNLR's for primetime weekday schedule...

Ed's Songs of Praise up 5,000 on Sundays according to his social media. Not seen any others :-(

Where did you spot these, as a matter of interest? Only saw RTE and Newstalk on the Journal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭nc6000

Listening to Dermot and Dave at the moment. I think they are doing a good job with the questions. I wonder how restricted they are. They don't seem to be biting their tongue on the questions. Especially Dermot.

The thing with Leo Varadkar was pre-recorded, no way he was taking questions live on air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

nc6000 wrote: »
    The thing with Leo Varadkar was pre-recorded, no way he was taking questions live on air.

No leader of any country is going to go on an open mic and answer unscreened questions EVER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

nc6000 wrote: »

I knew it was prerecorded, they said it was. I still think the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Mairead Ronan & Anna Geary on Ray D'Arcy Show tonight.....in theory to talk Irelands Fittest Family, Weddings etc. but they'll have to bring up Today FM surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Nice of Baz to warn us he's on in twenty minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Dannyman76 wrote: »
    Nice of Baz to warn us he's on in twenty minutes

I wonder was it the same car crash radio as per his last stint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Fergal is off for the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Fergal is off for the week

Mid-term break sure, along with his "do ya remember when.... that was mad craic" class mates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Mairead Ronan & Anna Geary on Ray D'Arcy Show tonight.....in theory to talk Irelands Fittest Family, Weddings etc. but they'll have to bring up Today FM surely?

Did they ?

Did they ?

Had to think for a bit; yes they discussed both Irelands Fittest Family & Today FM but I don't **think** they mentioned Today FM by name but Mairead did mention having worked with D'Arcy & Dempsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Good God, these two clowns on TLW now. Tuned in for a few minutes to hear them giving out about Halloween costumes and "cultural appropriation". Piss off please! Is there anything that doesn't offend someone these days. Back to Lyric FM for me for some soothing music and a lower blood pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Can i take a guess that it is Roe and Gannon tag team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

Good God, these two clowns on TLW now. Tuned in for a few minutes to hear them giving out about Halloween costumes and "cultural appropriation". Piss off please! Is there anything that doesn't offend someone these days. Back to Lyric FM for me for some soothing music and a lower blood pressure.

I assume they were complaining about the American's appropriating Irish culture by stealing Halloween from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tomasflaherty

Mairead Ronan, only a month or so into her new job that she got on her talent!! (screwed Muireann) was on hols all week. while it was bliss not hearing this no talent no mark, she must be learning from Darcey with taking time off.

Had my first proper listen to Pumped Up Kicks today. I knew Dec Pierce from Block Rockin' Beats, don't know Anna Geary from Adam.

Decent tunes, a little more mainstream than I'd like, but definitely listenable-to. I wasn't expecting so much sport, but the segments were engaging and interesting. Not bad at all. Not into soccer, so it's an improvement for me over Premiership Live.

Had my first proper listen to Pumped Up Kicks today. I knew Dec Pierce from Block Rockin' Beats, don't know Anna Geary from Adam.

Decent tunes, a little more mainstream than I'd like, but definitely listenable-to. I wasn't expecting so much sport, but the segments were engaging and interesting. Not bad at all. Not into soccer, so it's an improvement for me over Premiership Live.

Believe me, NOTHING's an improvement on Premier League Live (to give it its correct title).

Yes I know by NOT having a Sports Show in the afternoon like RTE or NTs OTB they're being different and trying to muscle in on 2FM on a national level but when a Saturday Soccer Show is pulling in 134,000 Listeners and you're guaranteed 9+ months of action knowing you won't have to change mid-stream because Presenter X isn't cool enough with his/her social media fans or isn't generating sufficient content by mining the same holes then why change?

Yes PLL changed presenters over the 20 years but not with the same regularity as Today FM're doing with their presenters right now where it's only Phil Cawley & Matt Cooper who seem to have any longevity and we've seen what they've done to both shows recently and over last few years.

PLL was working; I think there was only 2-3 Presenters in those 20 years and there was no appealing to the LCD Listener; the product worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Listened to premier league live every saturday when I was at work but not feeling this new show at all. Would prefer a show with just sport. Listen to talksport for premier league coverage now

• Advertisement

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Listened to premier league live every saturday when I was at work but not feeling this new show at all. Would prefer a show with just sport. Listen to talksport for premier league coverage now

TalkSport converted now too; it's different but with TS2 it gives options too and it's all day soccer from lunchtime and covers all the leagues and grounds.

But Today FM could've kept us but PLL wasn't creating enough content clearly; a Twitter poll in the last few years clearly wasn't enough for them.

Advertisement