Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Phil Cawley is on Radio Nova right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Huh, so he is. They're not owned by Communicorp too, are they? Seems to be a one-off show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

He is not staff of Communicorp but contract. I really wouldn't be surprised to see him move to Radio Nova seeing as they now do Friday Night 80's which TodayFM dropped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

robo wrote: »
    He is not staff of Communicorp but contract. I really wouldn't be surprised to see him move to Radio Nova seeing as they now do Friday Night 80's which TodayFM dropped

To me, it looks like they replaced Friday Night 80s with Friday Night 90s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Batty Boy

No wonder Phil has gotten an extra job, his income at Today FM would be well down because he has gone from 3 shows perweek to 1 show perweek, also he no longer gets fill-in work at Today FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

was Phil on Today FM earlier today also?

sounds so strange hearing him on a different station

not many presenters these days who have been with the only one station for 22 years...and then suddenly hearing them elsewhere!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah he was on this afternoon on Today FM. I think I heard him last Monday too so he’s still doing bank holiday cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭prunudo

Did he mention why he was there or whether it would be an on going thing?

Interestingly on his Instagram bio he describes himself as a 'multi functional radio presenter local and national'. Not sure if that was always the way but still interesting he doesn't mention Today fm on it.

prunudo wrote: »
    Did he mention why he was there or whether it would be an on going thing?

Interestingly on his Instagram bio he describes himself as a 'multi functional radio presenter local and national'. Not sure if that was always the way but still interesting he doesn't mention Today fm on it.

Yeah that must be recent, he did have TodayFM branding on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's good for a DJ like Phil Cawley to have a few irons in the fire. Sooner or later, he'll get the boot from Today FM for not being a content creator or a big name. Radio Nova is about as good a step down from national radio as he's going to get now.

• Advertisement

It's good for a DJ like Phil Cawley to have a few irons in the fire. Sooner or later, he'll get the boot from Today FM for not being a content creator or a big name. Radio Nova is about as good a step down from national radio as he's going to get now.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he got a regular gig with 4FM / classic hits. They’re under the same umbrella as Nova afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be surprised if he got a regular gig with 4FM / classic hits. They’re under the same umbrella as Nova afaik.

I think 4FM might be a slightly better fit for Phil Cawley.

Maybe back to weekday afternoons like he had on Today FM

It's a different station now. That's not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

It's a different station now. That's not going to happen.

He'd've been a steady pair of hands to replace Tony Fenton and retain his audience and perhaps build on it but nope, it's Today FM.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

He would have been if they didn't get this idea that the audience wanted man-children and content creators.

I was referring to a new afternoon slot for Phil on 4FM

I was referring to a new afternoon slot for Phil on 4FM

Okay, that would work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ed Smyth is brilliant. He played Arctic Monkeys, White Lies and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club within half an hour of each other. What a man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Wonder is the pay in Today FM crap? Nearly all of the other presenters have other gigs (granted I know they might not work 39 hours per week in Today FM or might be young and want publicity?). You have Dermot & Dave doing their tour, plus Dave mentioned last week he was doing a disco in the O2 for some after party, Paula does TV3 regularly, Fergal always seems to be doing discos, Mairead has Irelands Fittest Family (tho the husband wouldn't be short of money!), Pamela Joyce subs in whenever she can (even on Mario's Sunday Roast last week) and has some show on the RTE Player and Cooper seems to never stop working (Virgin Media, newspaper column, books etc)

• Advertisement

I think when you're in that game you just do whatever you can to keep your profile up in as many outlets as possible. Because your gig at Today FM could be pulled from under you at a moment's notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I think when you're in that game you just do whatever you can to keep your profile up in as many outlets as possible. Because your gig at Today FM could be pulled from under you at a moment's notice.

Its the same with any self employed person. You take work when its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Ffs, you have to text in now if you hate mash potato, riveting radio!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Its bloody terrible pathetic radio shes a bloody dose who ever thought this was a good experiment wells it's some failure.quicker they get rid of her the better.
    Why oh why this content crap just play music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Ffs, you have to text in now if you hate mash potato, riveting radio!!!!!

Oh lordy....

In my new (and entirely self appointed) role as “content reviewer and critic” - well, we have content creators - I have begun a complete scrutinisation (another word I may have invented) by listening to the Mairead Ronan.

My initial impressions are that is absolutely dire, bottom-of-the-barrel-and-keep-scraping stuff. I will listen to a few more broadcasts before finalising my objective and insightful review, but first pass, it ain’t looking good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,438 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I will listen to a few more broadcasts before finalising my objective and insightful review, but first pass, it ain’t looking good

Glutton for punishment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭giveitholly

In my new (and entirely self appointed) role as “content reviewer and critic” - well, we have content creators - I have begun a complete scrutinisation (another word I may have invented) by listening to the Mairead Ronan.

My initial impressions are that is absolutely dire, bottom-of-the-barrel-and-keep-scraping stuff. I will listen to a few more broadcasts before finalising my objective and insightful review, but first pass, it ain’t looking good
    But but its not maireads fault,she is a mother and she is the only mother in Ireland trying to juggle work and children

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

But but its not maireads fault,she is a mother and she is the only mother in Ireland trying to juggle work and children

Most regular mothers don’t have an au pair either.

Mairead is a real woman of the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Today fm is now the yummy mummy's station mariead and then that dose Alison Curtis and I better not forget the reason you could not turn on the radio before 7am Paula McSweeney we have to listen to her desperate struggles in life first no man then she got one got married asap and in the family way asap now we have to listen to it all.

What's wrong with playing music I listen to the radio for music simple.

Advertisement