Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

BPKS wrote: »
    I just tuned into Mairead Farrell's show and Dustin the Turkey was doing a TV slot.

Very, very funny. He ripped the absolute p1ss out of RTE.

Ryan Tubridy saying he was offered 2 gigs in England. Dustin said its true, the 2 shows were Embarrassing Bodies and the Un-dateables.

And embarrassed Mairead about Andrew Maxwell, which I always had suspicions about.

Is this podcasted; sounds like I lucked out; love Dustin!

As for Mairead & Maxwell? Never heard any rumours; I must mix in the wrong circles; all I knew of them is they were both on the Panel which was a super show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

davo2001 wrote: »
    Until she gets made permanent and then everyone in this thread will hate her, just like very other presenter has gone in the last few years.

And if Mairead was sacked she would instantly become popular just like Muireann did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Pamela Joyce in for Marééééééad this week

must easier to listen to

No I think she should concentrate more on her TV commitments as she's wasted on the radio. Very easy on the eyes, she's got more curves than a scenic railway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

I see Paula McSweeney has sadly had an ectopic pregnancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

dragonfly! wrote: »

That is very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

pjohnson wrote: »
    And if Mairead was sacked she would instantly become popular just like Muireann did.

No she wouldn't.

Ah no. I say an instagram post from her sometime today or last night and it started off talking about being nine weeks pregnant but I didn't open the whole thing. Ah **** poor Paula.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I saw a link to her instagram post. Very raw and very moving.

A lot of posters here give her quite a bit of stick, but when my wife was injured after an accident some years ago, listening to Paula on the radio each morning was a bright spot in her day and although a small part in helping her get back on her feet, she was actually an important part. Something that she would never have known about.

An absolute **** and rotten thing to happen to anyone but especially to a person who has given quite a bit of joy, friendliness and warmth to many people on cold and dark mornings.

I just hope that she and her husband are able to grieve and get back to a normal keel without too much suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Well said ezra_

It was this week three years ago that today Fm gave anton savage the boot. It was the beginning of what has turned out to be three years of poor to middling decisions by the brain trust in Marconi house. They have taken a once brilliant station which was a joy to listen to and the example I've given before was about the hand over from ray foley to the late great Tony Fenton on a summers Friday and you couldn't help be in a good mood. Now the times I listen it's like standing on the beach in the middle of winter.

• Advertisement

And as a follow up to my last post. I take zero joy in saying what I said as I’m a huge radio nut and love when radio is done well and what Today Fm and other radio stations have done the amazing medium of radio is a shame. I’d love nothing more then to be praising Today Fm for doing good radio. Unfortunately I can’t say it and won’t say it for the sake of saying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Gotta say, if I was Ed Smith, I wouldn't be announcing on air that I was letting "the Today FM computer" pick tonight's songs. That's one way to get made redundant and get replaced with a Spotify algorithm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I was driving for a few hours last night and had Kelly Anne Byrne on up to 1am,what a brilliant radio show with no ads no news just fantastic music with a DJ who really knows her stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

Kelly Anne is the only thing left thats worth listening to any more really.

Maybe Ed was having a go at being playlisted - I've found his shows for the past year or more to be awful bland and samey, you could name the artists and tracks he was going to play based on whatever "theme" he was supposed to be doing.

I was driving for a few hours last night and had Kelly Anne Byrne on up to 1am,what a brilliant radio show with no ads no news just fantastic music with a DJ who really knows her stuff!

Love her show! It's opened me up to a load more music than I'd normally listen to, to the extent I'm thinking of coming home early from a weekend away to go to see an act she regularly plays.
    RINO87 wrote: »
    Kelly Anne is the only thing left thats worth listening to any more really.

Maybe Ed was having a go at being playlisted - I've found his shows for the past year or more to be awful bland and samey, you could name the artists and tracks he was going to play based on whatever "theme" he was supposed to be doing.

Isn't that kinda the point of announcing the theme in advance? Get lots of decent recs in? And seeing as it's primarily a rock/alternative/indie show, that's what you're mostly gonna get - along with the odd curveball.

The evening/night midweek and evening/late weekend lineup is still excellent, between Paul McLoone, Kelly Anne Byrne, Ed Smith and Dec Pierce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

was driving for 10 minutes earlier in the week and Mairead Ronan was talking about the new PM of Finland being only 34 and what a great achievement it is

anyway, she ask listeners what their biggest achievement is...
    and goes on to say that her biggest achievement was buying a house. Must have been hard with a husband who is a millionaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭giveitholly

was driving for 10 minutes earlier in the week and Mairead Ronan was talking about the new PM of Finland being only 34 and what a great achievement it is

and goes on to say that her biggest achievement was buying a house. Must have been hard with a husband who is a millionaire

She was moaning yesterday about missing her daughters Christmas play,She is the one advocating how hard it is for mothers to work in Ireland and then moaning when she misses her daughter's play,she can't have it both ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Her constant talk about dancing with the stars is pretty annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

poor woman:
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/mairead-ronan-rte-house-familysnaps-13998408

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I’ve had Ed Smith on in the background here all evening. Wall to wall great tunes! It’s like a completely different radio station than the one I hear before 7pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Had today fm on in the workshop for the last two days, they have been playing songs from the last decade and it's been pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Had today fm on in the workshop for the last two days, they have been playing songs from the last decade and it's been pretty good

Agreed, great variety

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Blinking certain mairead Ronan isn't live today no live links no time check and no real life in her today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Blinking certain mairead Ronan isn't live today no live links no time check and no real life in her today

Are you sure - I thought she was reading out some texts on the 20 songs from the last 10 years theme? Although I do know on some pre-recorded shows, they read out "texts" on them too as if they are live.
    Have to say the song choices are not bad today, but normal service of same 10 songs on repeat will return tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

Is there anywhere I can pick up a decent quality stream of today fm?? Any one that I can find sounds really poor, compressed to within an inch of its life. It's the same on their website, their apps, liveradio.ie and TuneIn.

Love the music on the Beat goes On, but it's hard to listen to on a sh1te stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ed probably deserves his own thread at this stage. Played Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Editors, Madness and Tom Petty on the small amount of time I was listening to his request hour. Superb radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

siblers wrote: »
    Ed probably deserves his own thread at this stage. Played Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Editors, Madness and Tom Petty on the small amount of time I was listening to his request hour. Superb radio

I don't understand how the bosses of these radio stations don't think this music would go down well during the day as well?

After all, very few young people listen to radio, its usually older ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

NIMAN wrote: »

You calling me old?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't understand how the bosses of these radio stations don't think this music would go down well during the day as well?

It's the same crap 10 15 songs played now a days and this morning before 8 this stupid show biz slot with that paula wan firstly shes a dose and the crap she comes out with it's so cringe could they not just play a song instead of us listening to her taking utter rubbish.
    Do the top brass of these stations care or take feedback from their listeners

• Advertisement

sligono1 wrote: »
    It's the same crap 10 15 songs played now a days

With an occasional outlier - Dermot and Dave's Cheese or Crackers today had "Come Out Ye Black and Tans!" :D:D:D

Advertisement