Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I think Mairead's shouting has gotten worse. :confused: How has no one in the studio called her up on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Since RTE've haemmoraged various rights to sporting competitions TV3 or VMTV've stepped in & scooped some up.

Against the Head presented by Joanne Cantwell & Daire O'Briain was RTEs version at 7 O'Clock of a Monday night.

TV3 launch their version called "The Late Tackle"...........presented by Muireann O'Connell formerly of this Parish; currently presenting Six O'Clock Show I think?

"The Late Tackle is a brand new entertainment show with a focus on rugby. It launches at the end of January, presented by Muireann O’Connell and Love Island winner Greg O’Shea"

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0109/1105390-virgin-media-television-launch-spring-schedule/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What does MOC and a Love Island winner know about rugby?

Seems a strange combination.

Monkey tennis anyone?

NIMAN wrote: »

Monkey tennis anyone?

You do know Greg O'Shea's an Ireland 7s Player/Squad Member right?

Played with Crescent College, UL & Shannon in AIL & for the 20s too.

MO'C knows her s**t too; no reason she shouldn't present; would you say same thing re Joe Molloy who anchors their main coverage.

Bill O'Herlihy, George Hamilton, Darragh Maloney, Joe Molloy, Daire O'Briain etc. all had same thing asked of them did they?

What does DM know about soccer? Joe Molloy never played it did he? You have to've played rugby to present I presume is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    You do know Greg O'Shea's an Ireland 7s Player/Squad Member right?

Played with Crescent College, UL & Shannon in AIL & for the 20s too.

MO'C knows her s**t too; no reason she shouldn't present; would you say same thing re Joe Molloy who anchors their main coverage.

Bill O'Herlihy, George Hamilton, Darragh Maloney, Joe Molloy, Daire O'Briain etc. all had same thing asked of them did they?

What does DM know about soccer? Joe Molloy never played it did he? You have to've played rugby to present I presume is it?

What kind of a post is that? They've tried the exact same type of show with, funnily enough, Joe Molloy before and it was terrible. And it'll be terrible again. They are squandering money on this ****e at a time when they are having to let staff go. Regardless of who presents it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Since RTE've haemmoraged various rights to sporting competitions TV3 or VMTV've stepped in & scooped some up.

Against the Head presented by Joanne Cantwell & Daire O'Briain was RTEs version at 7 O'Clock of a Monday night.

TV3 launch their version called "The Late Tackle"...........presented by Muireann O'Connell formerly of this Parish; currently presenting Six O'Clock Show I think?

"The Late Tackle is a brand new entertainment show with a focus on rugby. It launches at the end of January, presented by Muireann O’Connell and Love Island winner Greg O’Shea"

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0109/1105390-virgin-media-television-launch-spring-schedule/

Part of me genuinely wondered if this was a wind up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Muireann OConnell??????
    One of the most annoying people ever to appear on TV.
    Getting rid of her was one of the better decisions Today FM have made.
    Part of me genuinely wondered if this was a wind up?

What kind of a post is that? They've tried the exact same type of show with, funnily enough, Joe Molloy before and it was terrible. And it'll be terrible again. They are squandering money on this ****e at a time when they are having to let staff go. Regardless of who presents it.

You sure you're not confusing TV3/VMTV with RTE?

Joe Molloy's done very well in his 6 N Coverage for TV3; he anchors the main coverage in case you're ignoring that?

2019 was their 1st year of it if I'm correct so cut him some slack; I suggest you tune into him on Newstalks Off the Ball 7 days a week; he & the team're superb.

Joe Molloy's done very well in his 6 N Coverage for TV3; he anchors the main coverage in case you're ignoring that?

2019 was their 1st year of it if I'm correct so cut him some slack; I suggest you tune into him on Newstalks Off the Ball 7 days a week; he & the team're superb.

Jesus Christ. You should actually read what people post before replying to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

2020 is their 3rd year of Six Nations coverage. In 2017 (even though they had no rights to 6 Nations then) and 2018 they had Clubhouse hosted by Joe Molloy. There was no accompanying rugby show last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Like her or loathe her - the best part of Maireads show is when she has Dustin on Fridays doing GobbleBox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Monkey tennis anyone?

They sound perfect for a rugby show tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Monkey tennis anyone?

Jesus f'n Christ. I confess I don't know what Muireann O'Connell knows about rugby but y'know what? I'll not judge her in advance based on my ignorant assumptions.

Same way not being a GAA fan, I knew eff all about Anna Geary before she started presenting the Saturday afternoon show with Dec Pierce (who I only knew from Block Rockin' Beats). Turns out they're both bloody excellent at sports interviews...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's a lot of misogny around this particular radio thread...

[quote="TaurenDruid;112217911"Turns out they're both bloody excellent at sports interviews.[/quote]

Not the couple I've heard them do.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Claire beck is horrendous on that saturday night slot I know dec pierce was a hard act to follow but she cant shut up and just play decent tunes on a saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

sligono1 wrote: »
    Claire beck is horrendous on that saturday night slot I know dec pierce was a hard act to follow but she cant shut up and just play decent tunes on a saturday

Good god who let you back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

My god mairead ronan now laughing and giggling first kisses before anyone starts Ito on work radio. She simply is awful and makes a living from it.

Utter ****e on the Last Word at the moment. Breathless commentary from Eoghan whateverhisnameis and Helen Vaughan (?) about nothing at all. Lord almighty!

“Some form of bonger” is one of the phrases. Lowest common denominator stuff

C’mon Matt, you’re supposed to be a proper journo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Utter ****e on the Last Word at the moment. Breathless commentary from Eoghan whateverhisnameis and Helen Vaughan (?) about nothing at all. Lord almighty!

Helen Vaughan used to be an AA Roadwatch correspondent some years ago. I have a vague memory (could be a false one!) of her doing some presenting on Dublin's Country Mix 106.8 (now Sunshine 106.8) a few years ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Lisa Hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Good god who let you back in?

Am i not entitled to an opinion or if you dont agree with you I should be quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

sligono1 wrote: »
    Am i not entitled to an opinion or if you dont agree with you I should be quiet.

When you're just making noise by criticising someone for allegedly being noisy - maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

Kelly-Anne Byrne is finishing up this weekend.

https://twitter.com/KellyAnneByrne2/status/1219185653776297984

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Such a shame they are losing Kelly-Anne, she played a great mix and was interesting to listen to her speak about music & none of that cr@p the daytime presenters chat about to fill the airwaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

Another one bites the dust. Shame KAB is going as she was one of the few actual music presenter left. Soon to be replaced with another content creator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Interesting to see who she thanked and didn't thank. Another pointless content creator incoming no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's just slightly depressing to see talented radio presenters leaving radio. I like many others here are fans of radio, not this horrible hybrid of content creator and radio presenter. I've no problem with content creation by itself, my issue is that it's becoming far too big a part of radio and becoming the main objective it seems when I doubt the BAI give out content creation licenses. Today fm are clearly sticking to their guns on this policy but hopefully they may come to their senses if and when the top top brass realise the mess the station is in.

Well that's a blow for non-mainstream house and dance music fans and a win for blandness!

Question
    Why is it that every time I turn on the radio
    I hear the same five songs
    Fifteen times a day
    For three months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

The only thing Today FM had left.... I really hope she has something else lined up.

Saturday nights for the past few years have been enjoyed with mates, beers and great tunes. Begin with Craig Charles on BBC 6 and then over to Today FM at 9. I now no longer have any reason to listen to Today FM whatsoever.

Doubt she reads this, but a big thank you miss Byrne. Myself, my missus and my mates have loved your show from the get go on Phantom, so thank you and best wishes.

• Advertisement

RINO87 wrote: »
    The only thing Today FM had left.... I really hope she has something else lined up.

Saturday nights for the past few years have been enjoyed with mates, beers and great tunes. Begin with Craig Charles on BBC 6 and then over to Today FM at 9. I now no longer have any reason to listen to Today FM whatsoever.

Doubt she reads this, but a bug thank you miss Byrne. Myself, my missus and my mates have loved your show from the get go on Phantom, so thank you and best wishes.

The way it’s phrased leads me to suspect she has something lined up, so hopefully there’ll be info on same soon.

Advertisement