Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

Will she be replaced or will Today fm be automated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

With great DJs like KAB leaving and if TodayFM loses listeners - they can only blame themselves. Reading between the lines of her statement, it looks to me that her creativity with music was quashed by the heads that be - which is a shame, as she always came across as someone who was passionate about music and playing new stuff too that wasn't on the daytime playlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

RINO87 wrote: »

Saturday nights for the past few years have been enjoyed with mates, beers and great tunes. Begin with Craig Charles on BBC 6 and then over to Today FM at 9.

That actually sounds like a great night, can I come to your gaff for cans? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Sad to see this...she’s introduced me to some amazing music over the last six years.

And she seems so sound and just in it for the love of music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Rfrip wrote: »
    Sad to see this...she’s introduced me to some amazing music over the last six years.

won't cut it on todayfm anymore it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Kelly-Anne Byrne got her first big break into radio as a weekend presenter on Phantom in 2013. When it rebranded/relaunched as TXFM in March 2014, she got the weeknights slot. Around the same time, she also got her Saturday night slot - The Beat Goes On - on Today FM.

In the summer of 2016, as they started to wind down TXFM programming, K-A lost her evening TXFM slot. But, after a spell, she was given a weekend slot. K-A was there on TXFM's last evening of transmission in October 2016.

Somewhere, along the way, K-A got a second slot for The Beat Goes On, this time Sunday, on Today FM.

She will be missed. It will be interesting to see where she pops up next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

This! I mean, 5 years ago, if you'd asked me, I'd tell you I was into rock, indy and alternative, full stop. None of that dance ****e. Between Kelly-Anne Byrne (especially) and Dec Pierce, I've completely broadened my musical tastes. Many's the time I've intended going to bed early on a Sunday after Ed's Songs of Praise finished, and found myself still tuned in at 1am!

She'll be missed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

same here, I found some amazing tunes listening to her shows on phantom, txfm and today fm, will be sorely missed, met her few times in the workmans and EP and she is absolutely sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Rfrip

RastaRed wrote: »
    same here, I found some amazing tunes listening to her shows on phantom, txfm and today fm, will be sorely missed, met her few times in the workmans and EP and she is absolutely sound

I’ve met her too but by met I mean accosted and she was just so sound. And so so appreciative of the love she gets. Hope she keeps up the gigs and def the festival circuit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

sasta le wrote: »

I'd hardly call that moaning about having to commute, it's more a reflection of the rental market in Dublin. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Shame to hear Kelly Ann Byrne is finishing up. Agree with lots of comments here about her and her show.

Must try get in a Saturday night in the big smoke and see if I can catch one of her sets. If I'm not too old.

I might be wrong here but I think she is the sister of Stewie Byrne, LOI contributor on OTB. Who also recorded an album last year I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

BPKS wrote: »

I might be wrong here but I think she is the sister of Stewie Byrne, LOI contributor on OTB. Who also recorded an album last year I believe.

Christ! Small world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

That actually sounds like a great night, can I come to your gaff for cans? :)

Ha! Session on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

The only thing Today FM had left.... I really hope she has something else lined up.

Saturday nights for the past few years have been enjoyed with mates, beers and great tunes. Begin with Craig Charles on BBC 6 and then over to Today FM at 9. I now no longer have any reason to listen to Today FM whatsoever.

Doubt she reads this, but a big thank you miss Byrne. Myself, my missus and my mates have loved your show from the get go on Phantom, so thank you and best wishes.

I take your point, but what I would add, is that they still have Ed Smith, so not all is lost from my own point of view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I take your point, but what I would add, is that they still have Ed Smith, so not all is lost from my own point of view

Well who here saw KAB leaving ? I certainly didn't but look what happened. It seem even the best are not immune from the mess today fm has become. I mean my only hope is that it was fully her call to leave and not a case of her seeing the writing on the wall and went before she was pushed. That's my only hope other to wish her every success in whatever she does next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I would assume she was let go, despite what her own statement says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

And thank goodness for that! I've listened to his weekday evenings show a good bit in the last few weeks and I love his music choices... He did a special one evening last week, an hour of "the best of 1995", it was excellent, brought me back :pac:

He has such an easy, relaxed friendly manner about him too. No nonsense.

If there was only a radio station of wall-to-wall Ed Smith clones, I'd be very happy indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well who here saw KAB leaving ? I certainly didn't but look what happened. It seem even the best are not immune from the mess today fm has become. I mean my only hope is that it was fully her call to leave and not a case of her seeing the writing on the wall and went before she was pushed. That's my only hope other to wish her every success in whatever she does next.

I'd say she jumped before she was pushed, like John Clarke and 2FM, for example.

It's an awful shame that she is finishing, as her Saturday and Sunday shows on Today FM were essential listening.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    And thank goodness for that! I've listened to his weekday evenings show a good bit in the last few weeks and I love his music choices... He did a special one evening last week, an hour of "the best of 1995", it was excellent, brought me back :pac:

He has such an easy, relaxed friendly manner about him too. No nonsense.

If there was only a radio station of wall-to-wall Ed Smith clones, I'd be very happy indeed.

I just don't get the love for Ed at all! Yes he stands out as now the only "selector" left on the station, but his selections are so predictable and middle of the road...
    His Sunday show was same old spiel, same old music, every single week....
    "The best of 1995" sums up his show.
    Pixies
    Pearl Jam
    Morrissey
    Nirvana
    Guns'n'Roses
    Stone Roses.
    Repeat repeat repeat....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I just don't get the love for Ed at all! Yes he stands out as now the only "selector" left on the station, but his selections are so predictable and middle of the road...
    His Sunday show was same old spiel, same old music, every single week....
    "The best of 1995" sums up his show.
    Pixies
    Pearl Jam
    Morrissey
    Nirvana
    Guns'n'Roses
    Stone Roses.
    Repeat repeat repeat....

It was Dolly Parton's birthday the other day and he played a lot of her songs,anybody that plays Dolly's songs is a winner in my book!

And he also played Sash! - Encore Une Fois ,someone who can go from Dolly to that is not predictable..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

I love Ed’s Sunday show, but I did hear him play cotton eye joe on the midweek show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

RastaRed wrote: »
    I love Ed’s Sunday show, but I did hear him play cotton eye joe on the midweek show

Haha that was the aforementioned 1995 show. Someone asked him to play it as it was “his favourite”...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Haha that was the aforementioned 1995 show. Someone asked him to play it as it was “his favourite”...

And IIRC Ed said something like it was against his better judgement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

He should have just said Cotton Eye Joe was 1994 and he couldn't play it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

nc6000 wrote: »
    I'd hardly call that moaning about having to commute, it's more a reflection of the rental market in Dublin. :rolleyes:
    Be interesting to hear the costings

It was Dolly Parton's birthday the other day and he played a lot of her songs,anybody that plays Dolly's songs is a winner in my book!

And he also played Sash! - Encore Une Fois ,someone who can go from Dolly to that is not predictable..

That sounds pretty good. Was this the mid week or Sunday show? It's songs of praise that, to me has gone awful stale....Maybe I just do too much driving on Sunday evenings. Still miss Jim O Neil's short lived "Songs for the Road" in that slot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

That sounds pretty good. Was this the mid week or Sunday show? It's songs of praise that, to me has gone awful stale....Maybe I just do too much driving on Sunday evenings. Still miss Jim O Neil's short lived "Songs for the Road" in that slot

It was Sunday night

https://twitter.com/EdTodayFM/status/1219019412424007680

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Was looking forward to hearing Cal Thomas talk about his book instead of defending Trump for a change. Pity Cooper couldn't stop shoehorning him into the conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Has anyone ever mentioned how insufferable Alison Curtis is?

Advertisement