Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Dannyman76 wrote: »
    Was looking forward to hearing Cal Thomas talk about his book instead of defending Trump for a change. Pity Cooper couldn't stop shoehorning him into the conversation.
    Cooper is beyond a joke at this stage, bordering on parody such is his obsession with Trump. Look I'm not great fan of Trump but, as a journalist and presenter, one should be in some way impartial but you can actually hear the bile and contemptuousness in Matts voice when he is talking about Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,438 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Has anyone ever mentioned how insufferable Alison Curtis is?

She is master of interviewing though apparently, if today fms latest ads for their school of radio is correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Cooper is beyond a joke at this stage, bordering on parody such is his obsession with Trump. Look I'm not great fan of Trump but, as a journalist and presenter, one should be in some way impartial but you can actually hear the bile and contemptuousness in Matts voice when he is talking about Trump.

The one thing I loved about Anton Savage was you never knew what side of the fence he was on when interviewing people - ah well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

retalivity wrote: »
    She is master of interviewing though apparently, if today fms latest ads for their school of radio is correct

her class synopsis

- Repeatedly mention you have a twitter account and a child
    - dance around kitchen
    - ask do you have kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I listened to Kelly Ann Byrnes last show on my way down the M7 from a game in Dublin last night.

Great stuff and from what she was saying, definitely not her decision to end the show.

She finished off with Lost in Music and it ran a good bit over midnight.

At the end of the song, the autoplay thingy kicked in and in true Today FM style we were treated to Ed fcukin Sheeran.

I turned over then but I can only guess that was followed by Picture This, Coldplay, The Script etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

I have a few times.lately I find myself less and less listening to today fm and irish stations in general if I can i stream radio one or two from my time in australia it seems the policy there is basic you just play music and get on with it.none of this content creator rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The real problem from Today FM’s perspective here I feel is the audience numbers for that show given the air time were always bound to be low, and therefore not likely to generate much by way of ad revenue. Today FM is as bland and mainstream as radio gets in Ireland, a niche show like KAB’s was always likely to be an outlier. It will likely be replaced by a machine, possibly after some attempt at a Saturday Night Party Hit Anthems Show fronted by Maura from Love Island or someone like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

BPKS wrote: »
    I listened to Kelly Ann Byrnes last show on my way down the M7 from a game in Dublin last night.

Great stuff and from what she was saying, definitely not her decision to end the show.

She finished off with Lost in Music and it ran a good bit over midnight.

At the end of the song, the autoplay thingy kicked in and in true Today FM style we were treated to Ed fcukin Sheeran.

I turned over then but I can only guess that was followed by Picture This, Coldplay, The Script etc.

Her last show is tonight from 10 til 1am.
    She was so emotional last night, and as always, the music was class.
    She will be missed.

I sincerely hope that someone handcuffs Ed Smith, Dec Pierce and Paul McLoone to the studio, in case they decide to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is little impartiality in Irish radio.

Trump gets abuse on both TodayFM and RTE.

Despite what you say about the guy, he is the POTUS, and likely to be so again after the next election.

So the Irish media is totally ignoring the fact that tens of millions of Americans decided to vote for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

She is going for a second emotional farewell. Thought she forgot all about working tonight after lastnights big farewell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Very emotional at the actual end :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Kelly Anne got very emotional at the end. Her last song was My Way (not the Frank Sinatra version), in response to a story she told about her Grandad. She was looking after him one day, and made him coffee, apologising that it wasn't the way her aunt made it for him. He put the cup down and said something along the lines of "none of that matters. You did it your way."

She is going to be well and truly missed by many, who listened to her Saturday and Sunday shows. A wonderful, passionate DJ, who has introduced me, and plenty of others to songs old and new (both new to our ears). As shecwas, though, we will meet again!

It will be interesting to see what will be on the time slots next week. It still says The Beat Goes On in the radio listings.

Both shows this weekend were great, in fact, I'm gonna listen again during the week.
    It makes me happy that everyone showed their appreciation, she is one of the best.

We can be very quick to moan and give out, so it's nice to be complimentary, when it's deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Both shows this weekend were great, in fact, I'm gonna listen again during the week.
    It makes me happy that everyone showed their appreciation, she is one of the best.

We can be very quick to moan and give out, so it's nice to be complimentary, when it's deserved.

Afraid to say it but I'd be shocked if her shows're podcasted; when Farcy & Savage left their shows were wiped; I remember with great fondness Antons trip on a barge to bring a plane to the glamping site in Easkey; it was epic stuff & he must've been b********d given he was on barge through night & was expected to update etc.

But nope; all gone like they never worked for Today FM; real pity because so many guests on these shows made them as much as/more than the presenters.

But that's Today FM for ya; once gone it's a case of "Nope, never heard of him/her".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

.... and thats the reason why TodayFM is going down the pan as a radio station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

It was hands down the best music show on National radio, presented by someone with a real passion for what they were doing....
    I can't believe it's gone, had great visions of introducing the next generation to some of this brilliant music on Satuday evenings - a modern day Ceili House of sorts :)

I said it last week when she announced, and I'll repeat, myself and almost all of my peer group are really going to miss this show... I'd be very surprised if its numbers were bad for its time slot - In my demographic it had a huge following

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

RINO87 wrote: »
    It was hands down the best music show on National radio, presented by someone with a real passion for what they were doing....
    I can't believe it's gone, had great visions of introducing the next generation to some of this brilliant music on Satuday evenings - a modern day Ceili House of sorts :)

I said it last week when she announced, and I'll repeat, myself and almost all of my peer group are really going to miss this show... I'd be very surprised if its numbers were bad for its time slot - In my demographic it had a huge following

If the departure of Kelly-Anne Byrne was involuntary and I don't know that for sure, could anyone explain why Today FM let her go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

Heard it mentioned once or twice I think :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

If the departure of Kelly-Anne Byrne was involuntary and I don't know that for sure, could anyone explain why Today FM let her go?

I imagine it was cost reasons and the increasing phasing out of old music on the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

The Beat Goes On is arguably the sort of thing RTE should be doing.

irs wrote: »
    The Beat Goes On is arguably the sort of thing RTE should be doing.

with RTE Gold being axed the chances are less likely. indeed some of the weekend shows on RTE Gold have played similar tracks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Actually sobbing myself at the end of kelly Anne’s show last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Similar when txfm finished. I was really disappointed and it cut so many ties to accessing new Irish indie and general indie. Non-commercial irish bands have no hope of getting coverage and the reason why a good handful of really good Irish bands have called it a day. Being in a band now seems to just be an expensive hobby

with RTE Gold being axed the chances are less likely. indeed some of the weekend shows on RTE Gold have played similar tracks

The Beat Goes On wouldn't really be suited to Gold tho I dont think...

The Beat Goes On wouldn't really be suited to Gold tho I dont think...

why not?

why not?

She played quite a lot of new releases.

She played quite a lot of new releases.

new releases allowed on Gold....Will Leahy plays some mainstream ones on his breakfast show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Afraid to say it but I'd be shocked if her shows're podcasted; when Farcy & Savage left their shows were wiped; I remember with great fondness Antons trip on a barge to bring a plane to the glamping site in Easkey; it was epic stuff & he must've been b********d given he was on barge through night & was expected to update etc.

But nope; all gone like they never worked for Today FM; real pity because so many guests on these shows made them as much as/more than the presenters.

But that's Today FM for ya; once gone it's a case of "Nope, never heard of him/her".

Was gigging the weekend so I missed the final shows, they are up on the today fm listen back yoke but they cut the very end of saturdays show off while she was getting emotional:( dopes:mad: The Sunday show is ok, brilliant send off from KA, will be sorely missed, expect a Gavin James and Dermot Bannon content show next on this sinking ship of a station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Similar when txfm finished. I was really disappointed and it cut so many ties to accessing new Irish indie and general indie. Non-commercial irish bands have no hope of getting coverage and the reason why a good handful of really good Irish bands have called it a day. Being in a band now seems to just be an expensive hobby

Have you heard "The DJ Bambi Show" on Mixcloud? They support Irish music big time, they even have an "Irish Artist of the Month". Many of the acts are not in the charts.
    https://mixcloud.com/DJBambiInDaHouze/

Advertisement