Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

How long more do we have to suffer Mairead Ronan? She seems to be using Ray Darcy's morning radio playbook. Between heartfelt chats with listeners and reading out a new competition script, there's hardly any time to play the limited number of preselected songs she has. Her voice goes through my head. Finally switched off. Uncle Ferg is so much more tolerable now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

BPKS wrote: »
    I listened to Kelly Ann Byrnes last show on my way down the M7 from a game in Dublin last night.

Great stuff and from what she was saying, definitely not her decision to end the show.

She finished off with Lost in Music and it ran a good bit over midnight.

At the end of the song, the autoplay thingy kicked in and in true Today FM style we were treated to Ed fcukin Sheeran.

I turned over then but I can only guess that was followed by Picture This, Coldplay, The Script etc.

Listened back to the podcasts, and god she did get very emotional.
    Shame that she is off air now cos she had a great choice of music.

I'll listen to her wherever she gets a job next. Rather than some bland DJ they are likely replacing her with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

NIMAN wrote: »

I'll listen to her wherever she gets a job next. Rather than some bland DJ they are likely replacing her with.

I'm curious about what station Kelly-Anne Byrne might work with now. One possibility is 8Radio.com. It includes a few fellow ex-TX FM presenters, as well as Phantom presenters before her time there. I think having an outlet for her music tastes is more important to her than money - her gig on Today FM was weekend only anyway. The only problem with 8Radio.com is that it tends to have an alternative rock slant, which she does have an interest in, but she has quite a keen interest in disco and soul too, which formed a large part of her show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

NIMAN wrote: »

I'd get over a bland DJ if the music was good, tbh. I just listen to Dermot and Dave these days and then change over before the same tunes are played for the rest of the day again and again and again.

Someone needs to sit down with whatever algorithm writes out the playlist and explain, gently, to it that there more than one genre of music and we don't necessarily have to wait for an artist to die to play their music for a few days.

If the song is good enough to play when they're dead, surely it's good enough to play when they're still alive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Have you heard "The DJ Bambi Show" on Mixcloud? They support Irish music big time, they even have an "Irish Artist of the Month". Many of the acts are not in the charts.
    https://mixcloud.com/DJBambiInDaHouze/

Will check it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭kksaints

I'm curious about what station Kelly-Anne Byrne might work with now. One possibility is 8Radio.com. It includes a few fellow ex-TX FM presenters, as well as Phantom presenters before her time there. I think having an outlet for her music tastes is more important to her than money - her gig on Today FM was weekend only anyway. The only problem with 8Radio.com is that it tends to have an alternative rock slant, which she does have an interest in, but she has quite a keen interest in disco and soul too, which formed a large part of her show.

Doesn't she live in Glasgow or somewhere like that? I remember that there were a few articles on her having to move there last year because she couldn't afford a place in Dublin.

Its a shame her show is gone because she was very enthusiastic about music and was easy to listen to but the listen-ability of the show could be somewhat erratic at times particular the Saturday night show which could be very niche at times imo, the Sunday show was a good deal easier to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

I know we are not the whole of Ireland here but I'm sure we cover a good bit of different people all over the country - so you would wonder do the powers that be in TodayFM (or other stations) read the posts on here about what the radio listeners say, or even look to engage with us!
    We are the listeners!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

We are a tiny subset of listeners. And not representative.

Watch the pile-on any time anyone mentions Alison Curtis, for example. There'll be "dancing around the kitchen" and "did she mention her kid" comments, immediately. Yet guess what - her JNLR figures are steady. Same goes for most of the other shows people on here claim to hate - there's small rises and falls in JNLR figures, but the numbers in general are staying steady overall, not plummeting as the doomsayers here would have us believe.

Much as I love the evening and late night lineup, it seems most listeners are happy putting up with the automated playlists in the daytime slots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

robo wrote: »
    I know we are not the whole of Ireland here but I'm sure we cover a good bit of different people all over the country - so you would wonder do the powers that be in TodayFM (or other stations) read the posts on here about what the radio listeners say, or even look to engage with us!
    We are the listeners!!

It's easier to complain than to praise, I'm afraid. The silent majority will rarely complain or, even more rarely, praise a show or presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

We are a tiny subset of listeners. And not representative.

Watch the pile-on any time anyone mentions Alison Curtis, for example. There'll be "dancing around the kitchen" and "did she mention her kid" comments, immediately. Yet guess what - her JNLR figures are steady. Same goes for most of the other shows people on here claim to hate - there's small rises and falls in JNLR figures, but the numbers in general are staying steady overall, not plummeting as the doomsayers here would have us believe.

Much as I love the evening and late night lineup, it seems most listeners are happy putting up with the automated playlists in the daytime slots.

That points to the apathy of a mainstream (rather than discerning) audience rather than any tacit approval. It by no means is an approval of the blandness and medicocrity of any show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Why in the utter **** is this idiot pair of tits being given a social commentary platform ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Heckler wrote: »
    Why in the utter **** is this idiot pair of tits being given a social commentary platform ?

Come again (thats what she said)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Heckler wrote: »

TLW on fridays is turning into a radio version of expose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

Who is going to be on tonight at 9 then. I'm prepared to be underwhelmed....but will give it a shot

Especially as it will be after 3 hours of Craig Charles back to his best on BBC6, he had Norman Jay filling in for the past two weeks, going from that show into the beat goes on was just perfect.

Edit: they just moved Claire Beck to 9. Who was on in her old slot anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

RINO87 wrote: »
    Who is going to be on tonight at 9 then. I'm prepared to be underwhelmed....but will give it a shot

Especially as it will be after 3 hours of Craig Charles back to his best on BBC6, he had Norman Jay filling in for the past two weeks, going from that show into the beat goes on was just perfect.

According to today fms website it's claire beck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

RINO87 wrote: »

Edit: they just moved Claire Beck to 9. Who was on in her old slot anyone know?

Jess Maciel is on 6pm-9pm. I never heard of her before. It was the now typical Today FM daytime music being played, so nothing new there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Cathal Funge (sp?) on after Ed tonight. I've only ever heard him at the likes of Christmas or bank holidays doing cover, but he plays an excellent Smith/McLoone-like eclectic mix of non-chart stuff.

Solid choice, but (no offence to him meant) i'd rather have Kelly-Anne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Jess Maciel is on 6pm-9pm. I never heard of her before. It was the now typical Today FM daytime music being played, so nothing new there.

She was on BBC Radio 1 over the Xmas holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Miwadi mixup competition, you can vote to switch presenters on shows. I voted to put D+D back on lunchtime and Ronan somewhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

Dannyman76 wrote: »
    Ronan somewhere else

Is the dole queue an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'd vote to have Ronan and D'Arcy moved to a different occupation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Whatever about Mairead Ronan but Fergal Darcy??? How is this guy still on air? He talks the same waffle day after day.
    I'd vote to have Ronan and D'Arcy moved to a different occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

johnire wrote: »
    Whatever about Mairead Ronan but Fergal Darcy??? How is this guy still on air? He talks the same waffle day after day.

I know this opinion won't be popular on here but i find Fergal OK.

He's far, far better than Mairead Ronan who's on before him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I know this opinion won't be popular on here but i find Fergal OK.

He's far, far better than Mairead Ronan who's on before him anyway.

He gives me the willies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Only getting round to it now but usually if I have the opportunity, I like listening to the news roundup discussion on the last word on a Friday.

Last Friday it was awful as there was one lass who I later found out to be Roe McDermott.

My god, what an insufferable "woke" idiot! Like ffs give the other guy a chance to talk. Yap yap yap yap yap. Non stop.

She's everything I hate about my generation.

Stupid sarcastic comments about millenials and the likes too. Listening to American podcasts too often I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

No surprise. She's Eoghan McDermott's sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    No surprise. She's Eoghan McDermott's sister.

I’ve honestly know idea who Roe McDermott is. I thought it was a man initially. Eoghan is the guy on 2FM breakfast? Never heard him but was he the fella with the problem with Fairytale of NY?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I’ve honestly know idea who Roe McDermott is. I thought it was a man initially. Eoghan is the guy on 2FM breakfast? Never heard him but was he the fella with the problem with Fairytale of NY?

I only 'know' who Roe McDermott is because i googled her and saw she was the same one that was on some TV panel show last year i think and made an absolute t*t of herself on it. Yer man Eoghan (he of 2fm and generally being an @rse fame)popped up on a few images... turns out yep, siblings. jobs for the boys....and girls!! sorry...women ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

Stupid sarcastic comments about millenials and the likes too. Listening to American podcasts too often I think!

Wokeness tends to be obsessed with American pop culture which is something they really should be critical off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Someone explain the reasonsing behind putting Mairead Farrell in Iam Dempsey's slot while he's off and Paula MacSweeney filling Mairead's lunchtime show? Why not just give Ian's show to Paula?

TodayFm do this all the time and I've no idea why.

Advertisement