Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Someone explain the reasonsing behind putting Mairead Farrell in Iam Dempsey's slot while he's off and Paula MacSweeney filling Mairead's lunchtime show? Why not just give Ian's show to Paula?

TodayFm do this all the time and I've no idea why.

At a guess, because it's seen to be (and is, going by JNLR) a prime spot, and so there's competition/"turns"/pecking order at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

Someone explain the reasonsing behind putting Mairead Farrell in Iam Dempsey's slot while he's off and Paula MacSweeney filling Mairead's lunchtime show? Why not just give Ian's show to Paula?

Wasn't Paula at lunchtime. It was Pamela Joyce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Rackard wrote: »
    Wasn't Paula at lunchtime. It was Pamela Joyce.

I always get those two confused. Too many P's.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Could be Ian's choice or maybe Pamela Blake fancied a change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Actually Paula would be worse than Alison curtis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

That’s a big call. Massive in fact.

There may come a time, Davester, when you can finally accept that you are not the target audience for a weekend morning family and kid-friendly magazine show.

Today is not that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

I never realised so many people had radios which were stuck on a station they didn't like. Can you not just listen to something else or agree on a different station if it's a radio in an office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

today fm trying to get back the ray darcy audience of old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

nc6000 wrote: »
    I never realised so many people had radios which were stuck on a station they didn't like. Can you not just listen to something else or agree on a different station if it's a radio in an office?

They'd have nothing to whinge about if the channel changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

today fm trying to get back the ray darcy audience of old.

I agree she is awful.why move 2 people

How would you change the schedule using the same presenters? Here's what I'd do:
    Ian 7-9
    Mairead 9-12 (less self promoting and dancing on ice talk)
    Dermot and Dave 12-2:30
    Ed Smith 2:30-4:30
    Matt Cooper 4:30-7:00 ( pre Brexit and Trump)
    Fergal D'Arcy 7:00-9:00 ( can play good music of allowed)
    A bigger variety in music would help too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Dannyman76 wrote: »
    How would you change the schedule using the same presenters? Here's what I'd do:
    Ian 7-9

Ed Smith 7-9
    Ed Smith 9-12
    Ed Smith 12-2:30
    Ed Smith 4:30-7:00
    Ed Smith 7:00-9:00

Ed Smith 7-9
    Ed Smith 9-12
    Ed Smith 12-2:30
    Ed Smith 4:30-7:00
    Ed Smith 7:00-9:00

So Dole for the rest😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Ian 7-9

There’s a few ads out asking listeners who they would swap out on each show. They’re also asking for feedback on what songs people like. Obviously doing some market research. Has their listenership increased or decreased?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

There’s a few ads out asking listeners who they would swap out on each show. They’re also asking for feedback on what songs people like. Obviously doing some market research. Has their listenership increased or decreased?

I believe they are down book on book across the board with only slight spikes here and there since the Dempsey D’Arcy Foley Fenton haydays

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

5-7 mairead less of the me me me
    7-9 Ian
    9-12 fergal
    12-4 dermot and dave
    4-7 matt
    7-10 ed

I would change times mairead is just awful all about the show. Over xmas was oh I'm off to new York soon etc etc. Also the tell me something I don't know is just a terrible thing very childish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Ian 7-9

Get rid of Mairead all together,and leave Ed Smith where he is now,get rid of Ferg as well and put Dec Pierce in there instead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Throwback to when Ray foley was on. What was the segment called when JP used to play clips from other radio shows 'mistakes'. It had the music from the Bill TV show as its intro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Throwback to when Ray foley was on. What was the segment called when JP used to play clips from other radio shows 'mistakes'. It had the music from the Bill TV show as its intro.

Feedback. Was hilarious. Then there was lazy radio, dj jayo etc. Classic stuff. Long way from great radio like that to Mairead Ronan talking about DWTS. Some real banter between Foley, JP and Ann back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Feedback. Was hilarious. Then there was lazy radio, dj jayo etc. Classic stuff. Long way from great radio like that to Mairead Ronan talking about DWTS. Some real banter between Foley, JP and Ann back then.

Thank you. It's been driving me mad for the last few days. Great radio.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

PhoneMain wrote: »

The death notices were hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Ray Foley 7-9
    Anton Savage 9-12
    Just silence. It doesn't seem like it's possible to have a good show there since Tony Fenton 2:30-4:30
    Matt Cooper 4:30-7:00
    Louise Duffy 7:00-9:00

Let them play whatever music they want. If you need a director then Louise & Paul McLoone can cover it between them.

Then sit back and enjoy the three glorious weeks before the whole thing goes down in flames.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Ray Foley 7-9
    Anton Savage 9-12
    Just silence. It doesn't seem like it's possible to have a good show there since Tony Fenton 2:30-4:30
    Matt Cooper 4:30-7:00
    Louise Duffy 7:00-9:00

Let them play whatever music they want. If you need a director then Louise & Paul McLoone can cover it between them.

Then sit back and enjoy the three glorious weeks before the whole thing goes down in flames.

Louise Duffy: 7:00-9:00. My radio in flames, under a steamroller 7:01.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

whiterebel wrote: »
    Louise Duffy: 7:00-9:00. My radio in flames, under a steamroller 7:01.

I like her music shows. She drove me nuts at the 2pm slot where she had to do x amount of talking nonsense and could only play the same 6 songs. Her late night one was good though. I mean sometimes she'd be on a theme for a night that i wasn't a fan of but that's the cost of giving someone that freedom. I'll take that any day over the alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I like her music shows. She drove me nuts at the 2pm slot where she had to do x amount of talking nonsense and could only play the same 6 songs. Her late night one was good though. I mean sometimes she'd be on a theme for a night that i wasn't a fan of but that's the cost of giving someone that freedom. I'll take that any day over the alternative.

Ah she played a lot of ****e on her night show compared to Ed Smyth, she played a lot of stuff that was on during the day, her afternoon show was little better than Ferg.

She was good when she first started on the night show but it eventually became more generic and mainstream

Ian 7-9

And my ideal line up:
    Ian 7-9
    Anton 9-12
    D+D 12-2:30
    Louise Duffy 2:30-4:30
    Matt Cooper 4:30-7
    Ed 7-9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The inane music policy and “content creation” is driving the station. I don’t think swapping presenters around would make any difference.

I am a big fan of Ed Smith. But if he was parachuted into an afternoon slot you can bet he’ll be forced to tow the same line and play the same dirge and talk the same crap as Mairead and Ferg. It’s not going to be Ed’s Songs of praise at lunchtime...

I like Iano and D&D are ok for the most part. But from midday to 7pm the station is unlistenable imo.

siblers wrote: »
    Ah she played a lot of ****e on her night show compared to Ed Smyth, she played a lot of stuff that was on during the day, her afternoon show was little better than Ferg.

She was good when she first started on the night show but it eventually became more generic and mainstream

Louise Duffy never had a "night" show - she was whay, 7 to 9, on straight after The Last Word? That's early evening, and still essentially drivetime/daytime radio as far as the playlist creation robots are concerned - or at least it was until Ed got the slot and got the freedom to mix things up a bit more than Louise or KC (?) did when they were in that slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Louise Duffy never had a "night" show - she was whay, 7 to 9, on straight after The Last Word? That's early evening, and still essentially drivetime/daytime radio as far as the playlist creation robots are concerned - or at least it was until Ed got the slot and got the freedom to mix things up a bit more than Louise or KC (?) did when they were in that slot.

In the days of John Kelly's Eclectic Ballroom and Tom Dunne's Pet Sounds, it was a case of free rein after 7pm.

Advertisement