Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

nc6000 wrote: »
    I never realised so many people had radios which were stuck on a station they didn't like. Can you not just listen to something else or agree on a different station if it's a radio in an office?

Or that you could only listen to one station throughout the day. I often listen to Ian Dempsey in the morning and then switch to Lyric or Q102 in the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

In the days of John Kelly's Eclectic Ballroom and Tom Dunne's Pet Sounds, it was a case of free rein after 7pm.

Come to think of it, Paul McLoone's show used to be at 7pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The Last Woke this evening had not 1, but 2 female rugby commentators on for their analysis of the England Ireland game. Tokenism at its finest. Niamh and Fiona might have been fine players in the women’s game, but their analysis on the completely different men’s game leaves an awful lot to be desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The Last Woke this evening had not 1, but 2 female rugby commentators on for their analysis of the England Ireland game. Tokenism at its finest. Niamh and Fiona might have been fine players in the women’s game, but their analysis on the completely different men’s game leaves an awful lot to be desired.

What? Why on earth would someone's gender matter one iota for them to be able to analyse a rugby game?! If you know rugby (or tennis, or football, or gaelic), you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Why anyone (Male or female) would want to analyse a team that is probably the biggest team of chokers ever assembled in any sport (and their predecessors and their predecessors) is beyond me, in a game where there is about 8 or 9 decent teams they never made it past the last 8 in 9 attempts.

• Advertisement

What? Why on earth would someone's gender matter one iota for them to be able to analyse a rugby game?! If you know rugby (or tennis, or football, or gaelic), you know it.

What an entirely predictable reply. It matters particularly in the case of rugby because of the physicality aspects of the game, the speed at which the game is played, the athletic advantages males have over females, the power differences and....shall I go on? To understand the female game is not remotely the same as understanding the male game, esp. if you’re coming at it from a former player’s perspective and all the inherent biases that would bring. To say the male and female games are the same displays a lack of understanding of the games. To do what they did last night and put 2 female analysts on for a male game was virtue signaling woke nonsense and nothing else.

Their analysis was awful, full of cliches and soundbytes and nothing remotely insightful. Btw, I criticize Alan Quinlan on an almost daily basis for his analysis, but that’s fine I suppose because he’s a male. I forgot that you can’t say anything negative about females in this woke age - apologies. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What an entirely predictable reply. It matters particularly in the case of rugby because of the physicality aspects of the game, the speed at which the game is played, the athletic advantages males have over females, the power differences and....shall I go on? To understand the female game is not remotely the same as understanding the male game, esp. if you’re coming at it from a former player’s perspective and all the inherent biases that would bring. To say the male and female games are the same displays a lack of understanding of the games. To do what they did last night and put 2 female analysts on for a male game was virtue signaling woke nonsense and nothing else.

Their analysis was awful, full of cliches and soundbytes and nothing remotely insightful. Btw, I criticize Alan Quinlan on an almost daily basis for his analysis, but that’s fine I suppose because he’s a male. I forgot that you can’t say anything negative about females in this woke age - apologies. :rolleyes:

You can of course say the analysis is awful. Its just when you say it in between crying about "wokeness" "virtue signalling" and whatever other triggered buzzwords are popular you lose any credibility.

Do you think Quinlan is a bad analyst because he is male? If not its gas you've literally contradicted the crying OP you started :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    You can of course say the analysis is awful. Its just when you say it in between crying about "wokeness" "virtue signalling" and whatever other triggered buzzwords are popular you lose any credibility.

Do you think Quinlan is a bad analyst because he is male? If not its gas you've literally contradicted the crying OP you started :pac:

Ah here. Quinlan is useless and it’s nothing to do with his sex; but heaven forbid if he was a woman and I said that.

My core point which you seem to deliberately ignore is that it is a display of tokenism to have 2 females analysts discussing a male game. Dress it up however you like, but it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Ah here. Quinlan is useless and it’s nothing to do with his sex; but heaven forbid if he was a woman and I said that.

My core point which you seem to deliberately ignore is that it is a display of tokenism to have 2 females analysts discussing a male game. Dress it up however you like, but it is.

What's really annoying me about the last word now is every topic has to have a male and female voice on. Music, TV, Films. Films used be just 1 fella, can't remember his name. Was like that for a long time and it worked well. Then they got some woman on to do it with him and it just annoys me. You don't need gender balance on every topic. Even you don't need 2 contributors on every topic, even if it's just a woman on and no man I wouldn't care.......tho I suppose I would if it was someone like Roe McDermott or Jennifer Gannon. And before anyone accuses me of being sexist, I really enjoy Larisa Nolan and Lisa Hand when they are on, Lisa Hand has to be one of the finest political observers in Ireland now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So Quinlan useless but it has nothing to do with sex?

But you seem to think two women is tokenism, would you have preferred to hear the "useless" Quinlan instead? The whole point is you could say the analysis was shįte but you start crying about "woke".

Criticising the quality of analysis is fine and logical. But crying over the genitals of those giving the analysis is hilarious.

So yes your core point was easy to see you just dont like women giving any kind of analysis. You throwing Quinlan in was a bizarre deflection attempt. You doubled down its not the quality of analysis its the "tokenism" you care about :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Your core point seems to be something along the lines of to have a valid opinion on a sport, you need to have played it, and you need to have played it at the same level as what you're commenting on. Which is, frankly, bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Your core point seems to be something along the lines of to have a valid opinion on a sport, you need to have played it, and you need to have played it at the same level as what you're commenting on. Which is, frankly, bollocks.

Agreed if you take that logic the likes of Quinlan are already dinosaurs and out of touch with today's game (which he is!) and the only pundits should be players that are still active.
    Have you ever seen that? How beige it is? It's fúcking awful.

I don't care who the pundit is as long as it's insightful and not just clichéd rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Is being "woke" the new SJW? :confused: I can't keep up with all these words that people keep coming up with for when a woman voices an opinion on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

For one day only:

Ian will be doing Mairead's show.

Mairead will be doing D&D's show

D&D will be doing TLW

Matt will be doing Fergal's show, and Fergal will be doing brekkie.

Trebor176 wrote: »
    For one day only:

D&D will be doing TLW

When is this happening, if true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Three hours of Mairead ? No thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭giveitholly

PsychoPete wrote: »

Yeah def won't be listening to her,will be interesting to see how Ian gets on during the middle of the day

Yeah def won't be listening to her,will be interesting to see how Ian gets on during the middle of the day

I know it's a long time now but Ian presented the lunchtime slot on 2FM for a relatively brief period in the late 1980s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

PsychoPete wrote: »

I do often wonder if these mix up things are with a view to seeing how people get on in different slots. Tho the only viable option in this case is seeing if Mairead is up for the 9 to 12 slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

It’s next Wednesday this on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

PhoneMain wrote: »
    I do often wonder if these mix up things are with a view to seeing how people get on in different slots. Tho the only viable option in this case is seeing if Mairead is up for the 9 to 12 slot.

She has to nail it, for her & Today FMs sake; that 9am-12 Noon slot is crucial for advertisers & listeners to stop them switching over to whoever's on RTE Radio 1 (Tubridy...I think) or 2FM (not a Scooby Doo since it stopped being G. Ryan!).

They had a chance of filling the Ray D'Arcy hole with Anton Savage & blew it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

Imagine the way the last word is so dumbed down now that a pair of comedians can host it. Long gone are the days of Fintin O'Toole, Robert Fisk and Kevin Myers as regular contributors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Long_Wave wrote: »
    Imagine the way the last word is so dumbed down now that a pair of comedians can host it. Long gone are the days of Fintin O'Toole, Robert Fisk and Kevin Myers as regular contributors
    Who needs them when you can have the likes of Jennifer Gannon and Roe McDermott?! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Fergal Darcy first thing in the morning???? No thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Trebor176 wrote: »
    For one day only:

D&D will be doing TLW

Ah isn't the D&D show becoming more like TLW every day - Simon Harris on yesterday, a serious discussion about Caroline Flack the other week & the whole mystery around how they pick "Sure look it, isn't that it"...there needs to be a Primetime investigation about how they come up with those yolks

Matt on Ferg's show - So it will be 2 hours of Rush and Nicki Minge :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    She has to nail it, for her & Today FMs sake; that 9am-12 Noon slot is crucial for advertisers & listeners to stop them switching over to whoever's on RTE Radio 1 (Tubridy...I think) or 2FM (not a Scooby Doo since it stopped being G. Ryan!).

They had a chance of filling the Ray D'Arcy hole with Anton Savage & blew it....

They really, really did.

I wonder have they ever gone back to him cap in hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I CAN'T WAIT to hear Matt Cooper on during the afternoon trying to hold back his disdain for the crap that they make Fergal play every day. He had rant one evening last year I think about how awful he thought Picture This was. Imagine his horror when it'll be nothing but wall-to-wall Picture This, The Corones, Kodaline, WildYouth etc for two and a half hours straight.

Christ, Irish pop music is in an awful state. All these bands sound exactly the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Dannyman76 wrote: »
    And my ideal line up:
    Ian 7-9
    Anton 9-12
    D+D 12-2:30
    Louise Duffy 2:30-4:30
    Matt Cooper 4:30-7
    Ed 7-9

Couldn't have wrote it better myself.

Loved that line up. Anton's show being the best

I thought duffy's puffy was actually good in that slot! More for her voice the bleedin minx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Long_Wave wrote: »

That's a bit of a stretch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Dannyman76 wrote: »
    And my ideal line up:
    Ian 7-9
    Anton 9-12
    D+D 12-2:30
    Louise Duffy 2:30-4:30
    Matt Cooper 4:30-7
    Ed 7-9

Let me throw this Curve ball based on someone in late 30s who feels like they don’t fit the today fm daytime demographic anymore:

Newstalk line up -
    9-12 D&D with slightly more serious topics, less music
    12-2 Tom Dunne, chat and music features
    2-4 moncrief, as you were
    4 ivan.

If newstalk took off the shirt and tie and slipped into a t-shirt then I could give it a go. RTÉ radio 1 is approx 15/20 years away from my radar.

Advertisement