Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Christ, Irish pop music is in an awful state. All these bands sound exactly the same.

I respectfully disagree.
    There are some really good, and very hard working Irish bands out there at the moment.
    And I say that as an middle aged person who most likely wouldn't be expected to like Dermot Kennedy or Wild Youth or Somebody's Child.
    One doesn't have to like all of them, but they don't all sound alike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I respectfully disagree.
    There are some really good, and very hard working Irish bands out there at the moment.
    And I say that as an middle aged person who most likely wouldn't be expected to like Dermot Kennedy or Wild Youth or Somebody's Child.
    Fontaines DC are quality. Slim pickings after that though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Goodness me.....I hope “Uncle “ Ferg doesn’t read this as all of them are to quote.....”absolute gents” and “ very good friends of his”
    I CAN'T WAIT to hear Matt Cooper on during the afternoon trying to hold back his disdain for the crap that they make Fergal play every day. He had rant one evening last year I think about how awful he thought Picture This was. Imagine his horror when it'll be nothing but wall-to-wall Picture This, The Corones, Kodaline, WildYouth etc for two and a half hours straight.

Christ, Irish pop music is in an awful state. All these bands sound exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

I respectfully disagree.
    There's a huge variety of good Irish music out there but you wouldn't think it going by Today FM's tiny playlist. It's like a few acts have a monopoly on Irish air time and rest have to fight through that or get noticed in spite of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

Is that Shona one who keeps winning the music quiz on the Ian Dempsey show the same one who was winning last week? Sounds like a dose.

• Advertisement

She’s got the strangest accent. Mid Atlantic or what?!

quote="jam83;112710401"]Is that Shona one who keeps winning the music quiz on the Ian Dempsey show the same one who was winning last week? Sounds like a dose.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

jam83 wrote: »
    Is that Shona one who keeps winning the music quiz on the Ian Dempsey show the same one who was winning last week? Sounds like a dose.

Shauna O'Reilly?

I think that's it but she's phoning in and is hardly the one working at today fm.

jam83 wrote: »
    I think that's it but she's phoning in and is hardly the one working at today fm.

It is her.

She phones in so that she has no advantage over the person playing against her

It is her.

She phones in so that she has no advantage over the person playing against her

Righto...got the feeling from other people's reactions to her quick responses that they were getting a bit sick of her, Ian Dempsey included, though he might well be wary of a bad reaction from another listener if they don't get a lookin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

3 hours of Mairead Ronan this morning. :( Lord help us.

3 hours of Mairead Ronan this morning. :( Lord help us.

Still not as bad as two hours of Fergal first thing in the morning. What an odd little man.

Couldn’t agree more- he’s a very strange individual.
    Still not as bad as two hours of Fergal first thing in the morning. What an odd little man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Couldn’t listen to fergal this morning. I’m looking forward to seeing how dave and Dermot do this evening though on my way home from work!

Matt cooper just playing music non stop like one of those auto playlists on in the middle of the night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭boccy23

I know, it's great isn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Matt showing no restraint in expressing his dislike for the music they're making him play. :D

Christ, that new Anne Marie song is awful dreck. The state of the lyrics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd say Matt just asked his daughter for a look at her spotify and just hit play :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Switched over to Newstalk.

Can't be listening to those clowns talking about the Corona virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

There was great music being played tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭siblers

nc6000 wrote: »
    There was great music being played tonight!

Was brilliant, Ricky Martin, ACDC, Nirvana and Limp Bizkit all played in the same half hour. Saturday night radio is usually awful for me but this was refreshingly great

siblers wrote: »
    Was brilliant, Ricky Martin, ACDC, Nirvana and Limp Bizkit all played in the same half hour. Saturday night radio is usually awful for me but this was refreshingly great

That sounds absolutely terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

That sounds absolutely terrible
    it's a step up from Ed Sheeran, Coronas and other modern dross that they play on the hour every hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Tonights Songs of Praise with Ed Smith was just brilliant - first 2 hours of Irish greats, and then in the midst of it he read out a text from some lad cursing at him for playing all Irish. Ed was picking up on your man's grammar and spelling - he read out a few other texts from him, leaving in the curse words. But then the 3rd hour was new Irish music - absolutely brilliant. Well worth having a listen to the show back cos it was just brilliant radio!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

John Duggan’s piece with Mario Rosenstock yesterday about why he still went to Cheltenham was fairly laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

robo wrote: »
    Tonights Songs of Praise with Ed Smith was just brilliant - first 2 hours of Irish greats, and then in the midst of it he read out a text from some lad cursing at him for playing all Irish. Ed was picking up on your man's grammar and spelling - he read out a few other texts from him, leaving in the curse words. But then the 3rd hour was new Irish music - absolutely brilliant. Well worth having a listen to the show back cos it was just brilliant radio!

Ed is brilliant.

For anyone on Spotify, he always puts up a playlist every week of the stuff he played on the Sunday night. Worth subscribing to :)

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Ed is brilliant.

For anyone on Spotify, he always puts up a playlist every week of the stuff he played on the Sunday night. Worth subscribing to :)

Link? Would like to subscribe or a name to search. tried to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

boccy23 wrote: »
    Link? Would like to subscribe or a name to search. tried to find it.

https://open.spotify.com/user/esmith-ie?si=0qP_vRxEQeaW_tmqW_MyyA

JoeA3 wrote: »

Cheers!

Thanks so much for that Joe. Ideal listening in these troubled times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Cal has been an embarassment over Trump in his last few Last Word appearances.

Cal's Trump love has ramped up recently.

Advertisement