Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

pjohnson wrote: »
    Cal has been an embarassment over Trump in his last few Last Word appearances.

Cal's Trump love has ramped up recently.

Matts attempts at fairness and impartiality is beyond a joke, frankly, i don't how Cal hasn't told him to fcuk off yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Rfrip

https://soundcloud.com/kellyannebyrne/music-is-the-answer

Kelly Anne Byrne posted a brill mix during the wkend in case anyone is missing her

I know I am

https://soundcloud.com/kellyannebyrne/music-is-the-answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Matts attempts at fairness and impartiality is beyond a joke, frankly, i don't how Cal hasn't told him to fcuk off yet.
    Exactly. Cal's bias towards Trump is more than offset by Matt's worrying obsession with him and Marion's pro-democrat stance. It would actually be fine if it was Cal Vs. Marion, but Matt's anti-Trump stance is a bloody joke at this stage. We get it, he doesn't like the guy - similar to many other journalists, but try to display a modicum of impartiality at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Tork

I'm surprised Cal still agrees to go onto The Last Word. I rarely agree with his opinions but don't like the way Matt and Marion gang up on him every time he is on. It's downright rude and uncalled for. Cal seems to be a gentleman and how he doesn't tear the two of them a new one, I'll never know. He was dead right to attack the pair of them this evening but it's going to fall on deaf ears, isn't it?

It's a safe assumption that most Irish people are no fans of Donald Trump and think he's awful. But there are millions of Americans who love him, love his policies and will be voting for him in November. Is it not better for us to find out how people like Cal see things and to listen to his take on the events of the week? I would much rather listen to Cal's reasoned take on conservative politics than some of the wingnuts who are given airtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Tork wrote: »
    I'm surprised Cal still agrees to go onto The Last Word. I rarely agree with his opinions but don't like the way Matt and Marion gang up on him every time he is on. It's downright rude and uncalled for. Cal seems to be a gentleman and how he doesn't tear the two of them a new one, I'll never know. He was dead right to attack the pair of them this evening but it's going to fall on deaf ears, isn't it?

It's a safe assumption that most Irish people are no fans of Donald Trump and think he's awful. But there are millions of Americans who love him, love his policies and will be voting for him in November. Is it not better for us to find out how people like Cal see things and to listen to his take on the events of the week? I would much rather listen to Cal's reasoned take on conservative politics than some of the wingnuts who are given airtime.

Yeah fair play to Cal for calling out Matt this evening,Matt doesn't like trump,fair enough,but as a broadcaster he has to be impartial,not act like a child calling trump silly names

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Fergal Darcy was in Dubai last week yet he’s back at work now and broadcasting. Surely he should be self quarantining?
    It seems highly irresponsible that he’s not??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Tork

Is he broadcasting from the studio?

Yes..because Mairead Ronan said he was two studios away from her. It was only then it dawned on me is this right??
    Tork wrote: »
    Is he broadcasting from the studio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

johnire wrote: »
    Yes..because Mairead Ronan said he was two studios away from her. It was only then it dawned on me is this right??

Well, he's in a studio by himself, presumably practicing social distancing, I imagine the station can afford a few hand wipes for the screen when he's finished, and if he was in Dubai, he was at far less risk of catching covid19 than if he was in Ireland. https://gulfnews.com/uae/coronavirus-27-new-cases-in-uae-bringing-the-total-number-to-140-31-recoveries-1.1584624014557

So... yeah?

Oh ok.....so by that logic it means anyone can fly to Dubai,stay there and come back to Ireland and all’s fine.
    That’s great.... I must go online now and book a flight and accommodation.
    Well, he's in a studio by himself, presumably practicing social distancing, I imagine the station can afford a few hand wipes for the screen when he's finished, and if he was in Dubai, he was at far less risk of catching covid19 than if he was in Ireland. https://gulfnews.com/uae/coronavirus-27-new-cases-in-uae-bringing-the-total-number-to-140-31-recoveries-1.1584624014557

So... yeah?

• Advertisement

johnire wrote: »
    Oh ok.....so by that logic it means anyone can fly to Dubai,stay there and come back to Ireland and all’s fine.
    That’s great.... I must go online now and book a flight and accommodation.

Well, no, because you can't fly into Dubai right now, they've closed their borders to people coming in. As opposed to, say, Ireland, where we've had 20,000 Irish people return from Spain between the weekend and today.

Probably one of the reasons Dubai is safer right now.

So yeah, you'd be safer sharing a lift with Ferg than you would sharing one with your mate who was at Cheltenham or flew back from the Costa Brava...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I think the bigger issue here is what the hell Fergal is doing near a studio, irrespective of the Coronavirus. The man is a brutal DJ/presenter/content creator or whatever they like to call themselves these days

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Christ mairead ronan putting everyone in even worse mood. Everyone in same boat with this her making out its hard. Hard for everyone BTW mairead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Christ mairead ronan putting everyone in even worse mood. Everyone in same boat with this her making out its hard. Hard for everyone BTW mairead

We get it Mairead. It's an emotional time. I have happened to turn on the radio at least twice now and here she was holding back the tears about how awful it is. At least she still has her job, and is married to a wealthy fella.

Then again her target demographic probably lap it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Wife of multimillionaire complains during COVID-19 Pandemic.

Give me a f*cking break.

We get it Mairead. It's an emotional time. I have happened to turn on the radio at least twice now and here she was holding back the tears about how awful it is. At least she still has her job, and is married to a wealthy fella.

Then again her target demographic probably lap it up.

True her figures worse than muireann and all this I'm in tears here stuff reminds me of a certain Ray darcy show. I don't even think she mixes the 3 in 1. I remember her moaning about finding the right house etc etc she has a wealthy husband and she earns a chunk of money for being useless just buy the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

True her figures worse than muireann and all this I'm in tears here stuff reminds me of a certain Ray darcy show. I don't even think she mixes the 3 in 1. I remember her moaning about finding the right house etc etc she has a wealthy husband and she earns a chunk of money for being useless just buy the house.

It was her proudest moment I think- getting the keys to the house

PieOhMy wrote: »

You know it's a tough job arrive at 11.45 to do show and probably leave at 2.15 and get well paid while others struggling in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

PieOhMy wrote: »

I thought her proudest moment was being the first woman in the history of the world to give birth?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭darklighter

I nearly miss Muireann at this stage, the only saving grace is Mairead's voice doesn't grate on me as much as Muireann's did......small mercies I know :rolleyes:

Although todays 3 in 1 was particularly good I thought, so the show hasn't beena complete write-off today

• Advertisement

Good jaysus, listen to yourselves. Ye really have her in yer sights... #bekind ffs.

Yeah? It is ****ing hard for everyone - or, at least, those of us with an ounce of empathy.

I know firsthand there's loads of people feeling fragile, vulnerable and scared at the moment. Some are saying it on their social media. Not everyone will. Certainly not on national radio. Bless her honesty.

Others deflect their feelings into passive aggressive posts here. Or in some cases, outright aggression.

Think for a minute, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Best thing about working from home these past two weeks? I haven't had to endure a single second of Picture This, The Academic, The Script, The Coronas or Walking On Cars or any other awful non-Irish shíte they play non-stop all day. It's been refreshing in a way being able to listen to what I want instead of TodayFM forced down my ear canals in the office.

Do miss Dermot & Dave a bit, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

I nearly miss Muireann at this stage, the only saving grace is Mairead's voice doesn't grate on me as much as Muireann's did......small mercies I know :rolleyes:

Although todays 3 in 1 was particularly good I thought, so the show hasn't beena complete write-off today
    Really? You can get along with her calling everything gorgeous? Sorry, georgeosss

I thought her proudest moment was being the first woman in the history of the world to give birth?

Are you sure thought it was winning some dancing show I don't think she mentioned it

Now she is going on holiday seriously can I have her job she has so many holidays we'll days off at least we will have Paula mcsweeney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Now she is going on holiday seriously can I have her job she has so many holidays we'll days off at least we will have Paula mcsweeney

From bad to worse

She's off for a day. You're f'n relentless. Jebus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

She's off for a day. You're f'n relentless. Jebus.

Thats a day where he cant whine about her. That'll be torture for him.

On The Last Word, for the first time, I heard someone give Richard Boyd Barrett a tough push back - I think I heard him rock on his heels at one point. I believe it was Jennifer Carroll MacNeill. Worth a listen - Today FM are putting it up as a podcast

• Advertisement

On The Last Word, for the first time, I heard someone give Richard Boyd Barrett a tough push back - I think I heard him rock on his heels at one point. I believe it was Jennifer Carroll MacNeill. Worth a listen - Today FM are putting it up as a podcast

She made good points about the need for social distancing outweighing the need for the Dáil to be sitting.

Would have been more effective if there hadn't been photos on social media of Leo using the set up of the hospital in the convention centre today as a photo op, surrounded by a large and unnecessary PR team, mind...

Advertisement