Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭giveitholly

They had to make a big deal of mairead ronan turning 40 today on the breakfast show,in fairness she is the first working mother/woman to turn 40! Fair play to her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

They had to make a big deal of mairead ronan turning 40 today on the breakfast show,in fairness she is the first working mother/woman to turn 40! Fair play to her

Totes emosh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Wait, how old is Catherine Thomas? I thought she was the first working mother/woman to turn 40 in the history of the world? Or Ciara Kelly? Was it not her? I can't keep up. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yizzir right. Radio was much better when it was only Gaybo, Gerry, Ray, Tony and George on the radio, none of these vagina-havers polluting our airwaves... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,438 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yizzir right. Radio was much better when it was only Gaybo, Gerry, Ray, Tony and George on the radio, none of these vagina-havers polluting our airwaves... :rolleyes:

Think you'll find fergal darcy lacking in the vagina dept, and he's a bigger dose than ronan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

retalivity wrote: »
    Think you'll find fergal darcy lacking in the vagina dept, and he's a bigger dose than ronan

You wouldnt know it by this thread. Curtis and Ronan definitely the two that get whinged about the most by a distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Ed Smith played Praise You after the show of thanks to the front line workers at 8 yesterday. Ultimate link. I found it hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ciara kelly on, me off. She never even gives herself a chance with her inane freestyle opening rambles which mean people like me immediately have the space to make a decision to switch off. It could be 5 minutes before she finally settles into a topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Ciara kelly on, me off. She never even gives herself a chance with her inane freestyle opening rambles which mean people like me immediately have the space to make a decision to switch off. It could be 5 minutes before she finally settles into a topic.

Sure you have the correct thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Aha! No :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Be careful criticising Ciara Kelly, it usually turns in to a witch hunt against those that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

No post in a month on this thread. I notice that lots of other radio topics I follow are getting less posters as well. The Last Word has almost no posts in the last few months, Mairead Ronan's show went six months with nothing as well.

Is this the sign of a mass exodus from radio-listening (despite what the JNLR say)? So many people now listening to Audible, podcasts, Spotify etc. Seems to me that this is being borne out on the threads here and the poor direction Today FM have taken is very unlikely to tempt any of them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Thought most people would only listen to the radio in the car or at work

Thinking about it, I don’t listen to Today FM at all these days. I finally got fed up with Matt’s show, which has become so formulaic and woke that it’s lost any vestige of being a topical current affairs magazine programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think the pandemic has a lot to do with it. Fluff nonsense radio, which Today fm mostly is, doesn’t really cut it when many people are craving the latest news/stats on the current crisis. Neither is Today fm any escape from it all for those who just want to listen to music and relax. Because you have Mairead/Ferg giving their rather useless 2p on it in every other link.

The opposite here. I can listen all day now, and usually do. Podcasts or Spotify limited to my walks. I have it on from 9 (I get the news/current affairs from Morning Ireland first), then, frankly, I can usually do with some light relief after that, so Dermot & Dave are perfect for that. I'd say most people are the same - there's only so much Covid news you can take. Mairéad's show is great - never really got to hear it before. There's a decent mix between music, light entertainment topics and more serious stuff. And I find her very honest and human.

I used to like Ferg D'arcy's show when I occasionally heard it before, but I have to say I am finding him a bit wearing lately. And although I'm all for Irish music being promoted, there are more bands than The Academic and The Coronas!

The Last Word I can take or leave - if the topics seem boring, I'll switch over to 5-7 Live unless it's Mary Wilson presenting, because I age 5 years just listening to that voice.

Then we've excellent music for the rest of the night with Ed Smith or Dec Pierce, and Paul McLoone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

The opposite here. I can listen all day now, and usually do. Podcasts or Spotify limited to my walks. I have it on from 9 (I get the news/current affairs from Morning Ireland first), then, frankly, I can usually do with some light relief after that, so Dermot & Dave are perfect for that. I'd say most people are the same - there's only so much Covid news you can take. Mairéad's show is great - never really got to hear it before. There's a decent mix between music, light entertainment topics and more serious stuff. And I find her very honest and human.

I used to like Ferg D'arcy's show when I occasionally heard it before, but I have to say I am finding him a bit wearing lately. And although I'm all for Irish music being promoted, there are more bands than The Academic and The Coronas!

The Last Word I can take or leave - if the topics seem boring, I'll switch over to 5-7 Live unless it's Mary Wilson presenting, because I age 5 years just listening to that voice.

Then we've excellent music for the rest of the night with Ed Smith or Dec Pierce, and Paul McLoone.

I suggest turn on 2fm when Ferg comes on. I normally do that and find the music great

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Love the fact someone text in to mairead ronan a show that she is so negative and stop with all the me me me she just tutted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Love the fact someone text in to mairead ronan a show that she is so negative and stop with all the me me me she just tutted

I turned off Mairead at the start of the lockdown, Jesus H Christ the woman put me into a fit of depression, she blatantly said on a few days that "there's zero craic here"
    She sounded like she was going to burst into years a few times about using a box dye, talking about privileged and stuck up her own arse.
    She's shown how completely disconnected she is from her average listener and is going to come out of this with a lot less listeners.

I've also found a similar trend with Jenny Green, obviously not as bad but constantly telling people to stay home and if someone rang in to say they were having a walk or something she's sounded notably pissed off and told them to remember their social distancing so I'm gone back to Darcy for those 2 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I turned off Mairead at the start of the lockdown, Jesus H Christ the woman put me into a fit of depression, she blatantly said on a few days that "there's zero craic here"
    She sounded like she was going to burst into years a few times about using a box dye, talking about privileged and stuck up her own arse.
    She's shown how completely disconnected she is from her average listener and is going to come out of this with a lot less listeners.

I've also found a similar trend with Jenny Green, obviously not as bad but constantly telling people to stay home and if someone rang in to say they were having a walk or something she's sounded notably pissed off and told them to remember their social distancing so I'm gone back to Darcy for those 2 hours.

Jeeeesus. Why can’t these people just play the music, keep the links short and otherwise STFU. No one wants to hear Jenny Greene’s or Mairead’s “opinions” on anything else. Could you imagine Larry Gogan pontificating from up on a high horse like that? No way. And that’s why he lasted 40+ years in the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Jeeeesus. Why can’t these people just play the music, keep the links short and otherwise STFU. No one wants to hear Jenny Greene’s or Mairead’s “opinions” on anything else. Could you imagine Larry Gogan pontificating from up on a high horse like that? No way. And that’s why he lasted 40+ years in the business.
    The problem is the inflated sense of ego which they've developed from people blowing smoke up their hole for a long time. They start to believe their own hype, and reckon they are going to change society for the better. When in reality, they could do with a good dose of humility and stfu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Wow, surprised she read it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Wow, surprised she read it out!

Think she started reading it and realised but kept going

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Like another poster said the week before the lockdown I stopped listening to Mairead ronan the negativity and up on her high horse about every popular topic.as some one said why cant the all just play music.
    I would use the radio as a football instead 9f listening to Darcy he is so fake a real bandwagon fella.
    Its great working from home i can tune into any radio station in the world.i.find many simple have a format where they just play music why does the irish stations think they have to spent most of their time talking crap instead of playing music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

sligono1 wrote: »
    Like another poster said the week before the lockdown I stopped listening to Mairead ronan the negativity and up on her high horse about every popular topic.as some one said why cant the all just play music.
    I would use the radio as a football instead 9f listening to Darcy he is so fake a real bandwagon fella.
    Its great working from home i can tune into any radio station in the world.i.find many simple have a format where they just play music why does the irish stations think they have to spent most of their time talking crap instead of playing music.

Suppose working with Ray D'arcy all these years have rubbed off on her and she's going this route

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Shes not suites to the main role.on a radio show and her production team ain't much to write home about either.

I recommend buying an internet radio. 25,000 channels, thousands of which have no talking at all, just music in every genre. I Occasionally switch back for the Last Word but less and less these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You don't need an internet radio.

There are phone apps, and if you have a laptop that'll work too.

Shes not suites to the main role.on a radio show and her production team ain't much to write home about either.

Guess we'll find out when the JNLRs roll around. Maybe, possibly, someone with empathy and real emotions is exactly who people want to listen to during all this. Just maybe...

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    You don't need an internet radio.

There are phone apps, and if you have a laptop that'll work too.

I used to use my phone and laptop but found them cumbersome. Internet radio can just be left in the kitchen and turned straight on.

Advertisement